PDA

View Full Version : What my friend said is "Maynards Meaning"(makes sence)

BlooReflection696
03-30-2004, 08:32 AM
ok my friend (BOTH OF US HHHHHHHHUUUGE TOOL FANS) said that Maynard had a son named Devo. I laugh its a funny name to me it reminds me of the band, then he is like yeh pushit is about him and devo, how Maynards father was somewhat abusive and he sometimes has the urges to abuse Devo.

Pushit

I will choke until I swallow...(Maybe Maynards father choking him.)

Choke this infant here before me.(him wanting to do the same to devo.)

What is this but my reflection?(what is it? your father man)

Who am I to judge and strike you down?(I think that speaks for itself)

But you're
Pushing and shoving me.
You still love me and you pushit on me.(even though he has these urges his son shows no hate nor fear just love)

Rest your trigger on my finger,(give me a reason to.."go off")

bang my head upon the fault line.(maybe him wanting to bang his head it drives him nuts)

Take care not to make me enter.(make him get violent)

'cause if I do we both may disappear.(they could one way or another, get seperated)

But you're pushing me,
Shoving me. Pushit on me.(showing nthoing but love)

Slipping back into the gap again.(feeling that violence)

I'm alive when you're touching me,
Alive when you're shoving me down.(alive when he feels the love for his son, or his sons love for him)

But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Piece of mind.(sometimes I think its "peace of mind" but any way, that speaks for itself again)

Put me somewhere I don't wanna be.
Seeing someplace I don't wanna see.
Never wanna see that place again.(he doesent wanna be this way, as his father)

Saw that gap again today
As you were begging me to stay.(we were loving each other caring)
Managed to push myself away,(I managed to push it away)
And you, as well.(and you as well:P)

If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,(if he stays his darkside could come)
You minimize my movement anyway,(you(my son) minimize it anyway)
I must persuade you another way.(speaks for itself)

There's no love in fear.(no love in him fearing he may harm his son or no love for his maynard is his son fears him)

Staring down the hole again.(feeling violent again)
Hands upon my back again.(restraining himself)
Survival is my only friend.(speaks for itself)
Terrified of what may come.(terrified of what may happen between him and his son)

Just remember I will always love you,
Even as I tear your fucking throat away.(those two lines speak for themselves)
But it will end no other way.(this last line sorta creeps me out where I hope my friend is wrong about the meaning or that Maynard will be able to restrain himself.)

that sorta bums me out, and I read that all there stuff is positive but since maynard just sings and does lyrics it may be different here, or maybe he is more positive in Lateralus, but I may be wrong in the meaning.

Tell me what you all think.

Btw as far as the title of the song, I once had a famous poet who dwells here in NC(im mad I Forget his name, he spoke at our school) that true poets write their poems, then make a title or take it from the poem ie Pushit.

AllforUnity
03-31-2004, 12:43 PM
Maynard said once before he sang this song..."Have you ever loved anyone so much that they were pulling you down in their own little pit that you had to kill them to escape them...? Me either." That's not the exact words, l don't remember exactly right now, but it's very similar to what l said.

AllforUnity
03-31-2004, 12:44 PM
l really don't think his father choked him...and Devo was only about 1 when this CD came out...Devo wouldn't have done anything to make Maynard want to choke him yet.

Windir
03-31-2004, 12:48 PM
This is insane... lemme kick your friend!

BlooReflection696
04-01-2004, 07:32 PM
eh hey, went to the lyrics well though..

Luna Galapogos
04-01-2004, 08:14 PM
l really don't think his father choked him...and Devo was only about 1 when this CD came out...Devo wouldn't have done anything to make Maynard want to choke him yet.

Just being alive, and Maynard realizing what he must be responsible for could be enough to make Maynard want to choke him. You never know with people.

Windir
04-02-2004, 08:59 AM
eh hey, went to the lyrics well though..

No it doesnt.

uhh...fork?
04-02-2004, 02:01 PM
who dwells here in NC
Random- uhh...fork? dwells in NC

CrayonOfDoom
04-06-2004, 11:14 PM
No it doesnt.

How the hell do you figure it doesn't?

Anything is possible with TOOL (especially when it comes to interpretations), as we should have all learned by now, and if you haven't, then die.
----------------
As far as the "have you ever...so much....me either" quote, I have on many occasions said something along those lines to get the point across that I infact had, kind of like on a shroom growing forum board you never say "yes of course i grow mushrooms", but rather "i do not condone the growing of mushrooms, I NEVER HAVE, HAVE YOU?" or something like that. Not sure if that's exactly what you were getting at, but it's not entirely impossible from our interpretations that he was speaking sarcastically.

Windir
04-07-2004, 06:14 AM
He explained what his friend said... and that what his friend said didn't fit with the lyrics... that's what me says... but I said that it doesn't... so therefor, your reply is useless.

CrayonOfDoom
04-20-2004, 05:44 PM
He explained what his friend said... and that what his friend said didn't fit with the lyrics... that's what me says... but I said that it doesn't... so therefor, your reply is useless.

Well, it certainly served the purpose I wrote it for, not only did you reply, but that was the sole reason I wrote it. Therefor: purpose served.

Now that is not to mention that maybe in seeing and replying to my post, you may have went about avoiding death or misfortune sometime soon in your life(be it replying instead of a mosquito with aids biting you down the hall or replying instead of walking out your door where one of any number of adversaries could have robbed you or done with you what they felt necessary), not that it matters because we'll all die someday, replying to this is saving me from nothing as far as I know, other than something better to do, but look what you do to me Mr./Mrs. Posts: 5,222, making me stoop down to your level....... But you are mistaken in saying my post was useless, because we'll never know, maybe you should have said maybe.

I'm an idiot by the way . . .

imtheism
04-21-2004, 07:53 AM
though possibly about his child, I believe it to be what i think many of his songs are about, relationships.

uhh...fork?
04-21-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm an idiot by the way . . .

Orph8998
04-26-2004, 11:46 AM
i think this is one of the best reasons for the song yet. I don't know how right it is, btu it sounds like something maynard woudl write. wheather he actually would let lose at the end and hit his child or not, i don't know. but just the thought of havign that temptation might have inspired the song. kind of like prison sex

AllforUnity
04-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Welcome.

Liquid Ashes
04-26-2004, 01:55 PM
I think that it fits with the lyrics and it is a really insightful post. I cant imagine anyone righting a song that in the end talked about clawing your sons throat away, thats the only place where I cant figure Devo into the song. I think that is has to do with some sort of relationship like the one you mentioned, but not with Devo, maybe something within himself.