PDA

View Full Version : I don't know why.

Chaos Theory
03-22-2004, 09:11 PM
For some odd reason, every time I hear the lyric:

Come down.
Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr.

I laugh. I can't hear that part of the song without laughing and I have no idea why. Am I the only one?

Metamorphosis
03-22-2004, 09:43 PM
i dont laugh... but, when i used to listen to this song without knowing what the lyrics were, i always thought that he sad "Get out your fucking cigars" where he actually says "Get off your fucking cross"... it kinda sounds like it dont you think?

Demon Cleaner
03-23-2004, 10:44 AM
i never laught... i don't see what's so funny about that

Chaos Theory
03-24-2004, 04:10 AM
i never laught... i don't see what's so funny about that

Neither do I. That's my point.

Demon Cleaner
03-24-2004, 10:41 AM
exactly

Windir
03-24-2004, 10:44 AM
I don't laugh.. but it makes me feel as though there's a bit of dark irony in it. So I may smile on occasion, if I'm all alone.

DistortedxUnity
03-24-2004, 10:47 AM
I don't laugh.. but it makes me feel as though there's a bit of dark irony in it. So I may smile on occasion, if I'm all alone.

DistortedxUnity

Metamorphosis
03-24-2004, 07:17 PM

DistortedxUnity
by the use of the word "irony", are you implying that there wont be a "next fool martyr"?... interesting...

Chaos Theory
03-24-2004, 07:23 PM
by the use of the word "irony", are you implying that there wont be a "next fool martyr"?... interesting...

Well, I think I've figured out that the part I find funny is that martyrs are supposed to be treated with respect and revered, at least in religious context. And calling someone a fool isn't too reverent. So it's ironic that they supposedly died for a cause they believed in but didn't get any respect or support for it.

I don't know...

forth eye
08-06-2004, 10:06 AM
i never found it funny but i kinda saw it as a climax in the song and i always loved the line and looked forward to it. i think it is great as is the whole song.

ExTReMe FrEAk
08-06-2004, 11:25 AM
i never found it funny but i kinda saw it as a climax in the song and i always loved the line and looked forward to it. i think it is great as is the whole song.
I've always listened to it that way also. There is a bit of irony in there though. This man lived his entire life sticking up for the little man, not just stand up for the little man, but do it with as much leadership quality as he could. He died to give the little man a voice, however, everyone else spurned him. Hence the fool martyr.
It honestly sounds more like an attack on people who are very libral, and wish to make everyone equal, but always at someone elses expense.

Of course, that's just what I gather from the song.

forth eye
08-07-2004, 03:01 AM
It honestly sounds more like an attack on people who are very libral, and wish to make everyone equal, but always at someone elses expense.

Of course, that's just what I gather from the song.

i had never thought about it in that way but thats an interesting view :)
thats one of the (many) good things about tool, that a song can mean diferent things to different people.

incompletedaat
08-08-2004, 11:46 AM
mmmmm, interesting indeed. I must say i did always find that bit grossly satisfying! But then i get that from most songs that carry a valid, intersting message, or in this case are very satirical.