PDA

View Full Version : Best Opening Act At A Tool Concert

5-MeO-DMT
01-06-2003, 06:01 PM
I've only seen Tool once, and that was on the 19th of Sep, 2001 in Montreal.

The opening band was meshugah, they weren't that great to tell you the truth.

Who was the best band that ever opened for tool in your opinion, c'mon i can wait all day....

the reverend
01-06-2003, 09:28 PM
King Crimson id say.

Necronomicon
01-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Definitely King Crimson. Meshuggah was a reaaaally bad opening act for Tool, I think, especially in the arena we were in.

Chris_Brightwell
01-07-2003, 09:57 PM
The Melvins.

--
Chris Brightwell // moderator

the reverend
01-08-2003, 03:48 AM
Oh shite!
I forgot all about The Melvins!
They were fucking kick ass when i saw them in Sydney.
A bit loud.
But definately great as an opener to Tool.

GernBlanston
01-08-2003, 11:48 PM
i'm sorry but i'd have to say my fav opener was tomahawk. ok, i know that many people hate them, but here's why. my first tool show was in 96 when 'the cows' opened. they were horrible. next show was in 98 and the melvins opened. i definitely respect the melvins, but considering the fact that they were playing in salt lake city may explain their complete lack of enthusiasm. fast forward to tool show number three, las vegas, opener: tomahawk. i was excited for this show mostly because of anticipation and it was my buddy's birthday and first tool show. i kept an open mind and i allowed mike patton's energy to pump me up and get me even more excited. he was full of spark and charisma and i thought the gas mask microphones were a hoot. i did see meshuggah, but i found them to be a little bit too butt-rocker for my tastes. they didn't have enough melody or experimentation to their sound. several people i know have commented about the general mediocrity of tool's openers. we're there in support and anticipation of tool, not really the opener, so an average pre-show just allows that much more room for improvement when our boys step up to the plate.

animantra
01-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Meshugga was alright, but i quickly grew tired of their brand of machine gun metal. I found Tomahawk to be the most entertaining.

rickiep00h
01-09-2003, 11:03 AM
I liked Tomahawk a lot, but I wish I would have been able to see Fantomas or Meshuggah, because I like them both, too.

Misanthrope
01-10-2003, 12:13 AM
King Crimson.

Speareman
01-11-2003, 02:19 PM
I thought trickys set was great

TheBardoThodol
01-12-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Speareman
I thought trickys set was great

i agree. in my opinion, tricky did the best job of setting the proper mood.

meshuggah was the worst opener for tool i've seen.

i've never seen the melvins open for tool, but i've seen them live several times, and they would make a killer opener for tool.

SmileyGladhands
01-13-2003, 06:32 AM
I've seen Fantomas open twice and Messugah once. By far the better band was Messugah. I don't know what Milke Patton is thinking with Fantomas. But hey, if it makes him happy. I like heavy music, I've seen Messugah open up for other bands as well. I like them alot, they are almost like Fear Factory, only heavier. But I do agree with most that they are not a good choice as an opening act for Tool.

Helios
01-14-2003, 08:52 AM
I saw Tool in Melbourne earlier in the year with the melvins oppening... the only good thing about their set was the drum intro. I was told my many people that it was one of the Melvins worst ever sets though. I had heard good things and went on thinking they'd be pretty good. I have to say though, they were absolutley shithouse.

stillclover
01-14-2003, 10:20 AM
the only two i have seen open for Tool is meshuggah and tricky. while tricky did do a good job, and i didnt dislike the music, it did all start to sound like the same song, and i was just waiting impatiently for the main act. meshuggah was infinitely worse, being just noise, at points getting my attention with a well sounded riff or baseline, and even less the lyrics, on the whole it was an unwelcome attack on the senses. i cant think of any band that could lead perfectly into Tools show. maybe pink floyd, if rogers would show up ofcourse, then life would be complete. who's the opening act now?

AnemicRoyalty
01-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Failure: the most underrated band of the 90's, I never saw them with Tool (they toured in 93 and 96 together) but it would have amazing. of there are any other failure fans be sure to check out Ken Andrew's new band Year Of the Rabbit,

kukuelani
01-25-2003, 02:51 PM
Just saw my first tool show back in July of '02 (well I was only 5 when Opiate was released :P) but by knowledge of the actual substance of the music, King Crimson. Why? I've been listening to their music since I was a baby, and that kind of prog rock is not easily molded, reshaped, and sculpted in ways as bands such as tool can do.

Anyone thinking they can do the same should take their acid. NOW. That is, if they can handle it. ;)

Do have to admit that Tomahawk put on a good performace even though Mike Patton's screeching was a bit head spitting.

Metatron's Cube
01-27-2003, 05:18 PM
I liked Tricky, I was afraid his live show would have gone down hill like his LP's did, but Tricky delivered. He hooked up a great backup band and precussionist as well

WizardOfGauze
01-28-2003, 09:22 PM
Meshuggah is just the perfect start for any show, and they are talented dudes, lyric and music-wise. Meshuggah kicked my ass, but Tool is the grandmaster.

wayngo
01-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Meshuggah didnt kick ass, they licked it. I am not a big fan of the growling that he did. To me, anyone can play their style of music with not a whole lot of talent.

And being that was my only Tool concert, I cant comment on the rest. I did hear good things about Tomahawk though.

Richard