PDA

View Full Version : fault line...

matthias9
03-18-2004, 09:23 AM
This is stupid. But here goes.

'Rest your finger on my trigger, bang my head upon the fault line'

Are trigger and fault line BOTH quasi-refrences to a metaphorical/literal/symbolic firearm, maybe?

Triggers, we know about. Fault line, geology, right? I searched a few dictionaries, and have come empty on my theory. But... That fault line might refer to the barrel of a pistol or something. Fault line: a line on a fault plane that siginifies where fault blocks meet/move. If you've ever seen a gun fired in slowmo in a movie or something, one part of the barrel moves, while the other part stays still. The barrel can be the metaphorical fault plane, devided into fault blocks by the obvious faults. Barrels slide, faults shift...

Now I've probably evoked an image, something along the lines of Maynard himself with a gun to his bald head, but in truth, I don't want to let misinterpretations prevail. I could very well be concentrating on the wrong things. I personally don't ever want to know what the song is exactly about, because that would surely ruin the greatness of the song (both versions). But maybe some windows can be peeped through.

I'm not saying this song is entirely about guns, not even a quarter of the piece, but part of the complicated story line. I definately believe in the Jungian duality thing, and some other stuff, but the geological terminology (I realise that fault line could be metaphorcial in other ways, but this is one theory) dosen't sit well with me. MJK's a smart guy, no doubt, but he is also a songwriter/poet, and he dosen't have to follow rules according to any text book. Fault line...