PDA

View Full Version : question for the masses?

UnderADeadOHSky
12-31-2002, 07:37 AM
i have been reading a lot of entries in this forum lately and have noticed one thing; under our user names there are descriptions of us ie. lurker, poster, talker, thinker, deep thinker, very deep thinker. i found it ironic that the way you achieve these names is by merely posting more and more entries onto the boards.

the problem is a great deal of entries i have read are nothing more than "i want attention". these entries have the titles of deep thinkers. i have yet to read an entry that has made me believe that the authors have put any thought prior to writing their entries about their content. this makes me sad in the deepest way. i read in hopes that someone will have an idea that makes me a better person or think in a new and exciting way. that has yet to happen.

i am still in the proces of preparing a post for this site that i hope will help others in an actual way not a swaying of opinions or rant or any other base method of conversation. i guess my message here is this; the world learns from the world and what we say and do reflects the life within us, when you say something make it something that will brighten the life of others, bring them new thought or stigma to become what we all want in the end; an enlightened person.

if anyone else has made this realization as well please confirm or disprove my observation.

neveragain
12-31-2002, 09:25 AM
Actually they used to have a board made up of 7 people that would judge the content of each post and determine it's wealth as a valid, thought inspiring comment. Against their results they would then assign the post a rank, and attatch it to the person as a way of rating their thoughts as a whole, hence (poster, lurker, thinker....). The only problen was that these 7 were chosen to go on a great quest to destroy some ring, so the old system was replaced by this new ....ranking by posts. Sorry, I felt like Tooling around there for a minute. But hey, I do agree, alot of people on this site don't have anything good to say, other than posing a question that will lead to 15 pages of a top ten something or other. The important thing to remember is, this is an OPINION section, and even though it might be stupid to me or you, we must accept and respect all comments from everyone. Excellent point though, I would like to see more intelligent threads, but then again, I probably couldn't think of anything to enlighten everyone. Overall, though, yes, we need to cut some of the bull shit.

48&2
01-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Yes a few more posts and I am a deep thinker!

Ahnijson_films
01-09-2003, 12:51 AM
I don't think you are giving enough credit to some of the people on this board. I don't know if you have read all of the posts here (is that even possible? they are so numerous), but there are some really great ones. One of my favourites is "something postive" in letters. I think a lot of thought and effort went into that one. Also, the art section is extremely intersting, because you know thought and inspiration had to go into the people there, they created something.
Now, I agree, quite of few of these are just talking to hear themselves talk, but as is life in general.
I just hope you go and read a few more and maybe come back with a slightly more postive outlook... I think there are some pretty great posts here if you dig deaply enough.

PS Neveragain- It was NINE companions set out on a journey to destroy the ring!! If you're going to be a nerd get it right :)

UnderADeadOHSky
01-09-2003, 10:32 AM
i have read many of the post in this section, including the something positive. i agree there are wonderfully thoughtful and insightful messages that are here, but the fact still remains these post are the minority. more often than not the messages i click on to read are nothing more than random nonsense. so dont think me pessimistic, i have read a great deal of post, and found many to make me think and question, it would be nice to have more thought provoking messages like the few i have come across. i give credit where it is due, worry not.

flipmojo
01-11-2003, 02:57 PM
LOL @ 48&2!!! That was great.

I agree that some posts are not necessary but who REALLY cares? Stop reading them if you don't like what you are reading. There will always be the good with the bad. You may actually find something interesting from a "i want attention" post.

I can't wait for Very Deep Thinker.... LOL. j/k

Cronos
01-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Rather ironic that one who rants about the lack of inteligent, thought provoking posts. Would use sloppy grammar and punctuation to get his point across.

Not everybody is up to the standards you would like them to be. So for you I apologize on their behalf.

There are some good posts, I suppose you'll just have to look harder. If you're not liking what you're reading you can feel free to report a specific post, and maybe the user that's just trying to look good and impress people will be dealt with.

However, everyone is going to have their own opinion, and their own opinions on how to psot. However thought provoking it may or may not be. People are free to post complete garbage that makes no sense, and makes you feel stupider having read it. But, I guess you can be the one to hint to them that they're morons.

Matter Specter
01-13-2003, 12:44 PM
you say that you disaprove of people posting useless follow ups , yet you ask us all to approve or disaprove.

UnderADeadOHSky
01-14-2003, 05:15 AM
i believe my point has been taken in a context that it was orginially not intended to be. i did not slander anyones postnor did i call them morons or intend to imply that. i stated that i yet to read a post that i found deeply interesting or insightful. that only show to the masses my opinion of what is interesting to me. and as for the rude comments directed back at me ill take them with a grain of salt. if my point wasnt made clear then that is my fault, and i apologize to the masses for the misunderstanding. but i will not revoke my opinion about the overall lack of intelectual conversation on this forum. as many of you have been proclaiming to me in more simple and vulgar manner is that we are all entitled to our own opinion. and as for the comment about the punctuation, wtf?, so i am apathetic to correct grammar on a forum, if that doesnt suit you i apologize, i did not realize this was a college essay. so to all who have read this and taken something from it that was not intended, on elast time i guess i did not explain myself as well as i should have and i hope you take things with a grain of salt.

the reverend
01-14-2003, 07:25 AM
Haha.
Im beating you all!!!

*insert evil laugh*
*un-insert cry for attention*

I think the whole "Deep thinker" "talker" etc. labels are stupid. It makes this whole board (to many) a competition to who can get the most posts and excel to another "level".
Which in someways is also good as it keeps people posting and is why the admin have chosen to use them.

OHsky: come here more often and post more if you want to read deeply interesting or insightful posts because surprisingly there are a few floating around on these forums.

Ahnijson_films
01-14-2003, 01:11 PM
This system is not something that Kabir or anyone chose to put on this board I don't think. My friend has his own Texas Experimental/Noise Board and through the program used to create these boards (which I'm pretty sure is the same program since everything looks so similar) that rating system is just sort of automatically there. Just like "Post Subject:" "Your Reply:" and other labels around the board it's just a default kind of setting that was probably not changed because who cares? So there you go.

MahdHatre
01-14-2003, 02:06 PM
I agree with OHsky. The majority of un-thought-out posts, IMO, are reserved for the Socialize and other sections of this board. I feel there should be a line drawn to distinguish the people who want to chat from those that want to gain and share knowledge. Really, adding another section is the only way to do this, but yet it has still failed.

seeker
01-14-2003, 02:18 PM
maybe you should try out the buddy system when you do find intellectuals who are up to your par. otherwise try to start a trend... post something smart and interesting, and if it's not just you it'll thrive for a while. complaining about it won't solve a thing, though, so get in there.

Cronos
01-14-2003, 06:26 PM
What said I misinterpreted a thing? I knew what you were getting at. I know there is a lack of un-intelligent posts. Complaining here will solve nothing basically. The option to report an immature post is all yours on these boards.

I never made fun of your grammar either, I just thought it was really ironic. Know what else might've been ironic, and even worse? If you made fun of the intelligence of the majority of posters, and mispelled intelligence. Numerous times.

At least you didn't do that. I really only stick to important threads myself. There are way to many posts to go to for me now. I've posted on things that have caught my attention, and most stuck to the Albums. I like to talk about the song fillers and segues on AEnima. I also like to point out little hidden messages, or whispered voices on songs that not everyone has mentioned.

You're right, but there really isn't anything to do about it. You just worry about posting thought provoking threads, and hopefully people with thought provoking responses with read it. You have to add to the effort by doing your part rather than complaining about it buddy.

Dr.Strangelove
01-22-2003, 02:27 PM
DeadOhioSky, you're right, it is nice to read a very deep and thought provoking post, every once in a while. I think if this opinions section was nothing but philosophical, existential essays, I wouldn't frequent it nearly as much as I do. Everyone needs some pointless drivel sometimes, even Tool fans.

Cronos
01-22-2003, 07:33 PM
That's the first smart thing I've heard in awhile.

dawn
02-13-2003, 09:17 PM
as with anything, you have to rifle through the bullshit to find good information. all in all , i have to say that it is worth it