PDA

View Full Version : Fault line?

rep
03-12-2004, 11:26 AM
I was wondering what other people opinions, or fact if you know, on what Maynard means by “fault line”?

awww shoot
03-12-2004, 11:27 AM
it means butthole

Windir
03-12-2004, 11:27 AM
The line you cross when you've made a mistake...

awww shoot
03-12-2004, 11:28 AM
The line you cross when you've made a mistake...

no, it's butthole.

Glass Onion
03-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Its the line between 'discussion' and 'recycle bin'. And you may have crossed it.

rep
03-12-2004, 11:38 AM
it means butthole

No, that would be borderline, not fault line.

awww shoot
03-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Its the line between 'discussion' and 'recycle bin'. And you may have crossed it.

that was witty and clever!

you sure are smart!

holy reality
03-12-2004, 12:02 PM
"you're pounding on a fault line"

fault line = what causes an earth quake...

he's saying you're toying with something that is about to get fucked up and completely out of control.

Windir
03-12-2004, 12:02 PM
He must be an Introvert...

diogenes
03-12-2004, 12:15 PM
I was wondering what other people opinions, or fact if you know, on what Maynard means by “fault line”?
Here's a thought- look it up, or take a grade 8 geography class.

rep
03-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Here's a thought- look it up, or take a grade 8 geography class.

Oh, I didn't realize Maynard participated in writing 8th grade geography books.

I know what a dictionaries’ definition of fault line is. But sometimes singer/song writers speak in “metaphors”. Say it with me diogenes, “met-a-phors”. That means, they use a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them ( Yes, I can cut and past from dictionary.com,.I’m a smart 8th grader.). Personally, I am unable to lock down in my mind one of the many possibilities he distinctly means when referring to “fault line”. So I asked others for opinions on the subject, not for a couple of borderlines (<--look, a metaphor!) to make smart ass remarks to make themselves feel better about the life they live, in which they would even consider posting something like you did.

Now, would you like to sincerely contribute, or do you need to list a few more therapeutic, asinine suggestions today? Come on, I’m game.

Dr. rep

onemind
03-12-2004, 12:47 PM
good job new kid...

Mark D
03-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Say it with me diogenes, “met-a-phors”.
Now, would you like to sincerely contribute, or do you need to list a few more therapeutic, asinine suggestions today? Come on, I’m game.

Dr. rep

I like this guy. Hes funny.

My faultline opinion is the thin line that you are told not to cross but are always tempted to do so. Metaphorically speaking, that is.

diogenes
03-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Oh, I didn't realize Maynard participated in writing 8th grade geography books.

I know what a dictionaries’ definition of fault line is. But sometimes singer/song writers speak in “metaphors”.
And, I wonder, do these metaphors have anything to do with the actual definition of the word, perhaps so much so that it should be obvious if you know the meaning?

onemind
03-12-2004, 01:58 PM
And, I wonder, do these metaphors have anything to do with the actual definition of the word, perhaps so much so that it should be obvious if you know the meaning?

........what?

Cylith
03-12-2004, 02:06 PM
"you're pounding on a fault line"

Are you quoting the song? I thought he sings "Think about it, put it on the faultline."

naked_but_oblivious
03-12-2004, 02:09 PM
fault lines that cannot sit still. that ones obvious. thats the only fault line referance in tool that i'm aware of even though i havent really broken down laterus yet.

Mark D
03-12-2004, 02:15 PM
...bang my head upon the faultline...

naked_but_oblivious
03-12-2004, 02:16 PM
...bang my head upon the faultline...

oh yeah

rep
03-12-2004, 04:00 PM

I did have an idea of what he might mean, but I wasn’t sure. To me, it wasn’t that obvious. That’s why I figured I’d ask.

“Bang my head upon the fault line” was originally where I start to question the reference, but after I saw it on the Perfect Circle CD, I wanted to know more.

Thanks all for the input, it definitely makes more sense now.

Anyone to take a stab at “gap”, as in, “saw the gap again today”? I can't help but feel it's something like death or a place of non-existence (something like that), but I am curious to hear others’ interpretations. (love that song).

Divine_left
03-12-2004, 04:07 PM
*blinks* ....I think diogenes just got owned by a lowly noob.

Rock on noob.

But I must take the upper hand on this matter, and you should really post questions like this in the albums section under the appropriate song (which I believe is pushit) where it belongs. This would really help keep the place neat and organized. Thanks.

Glass Onion
03-12-2004, 04:13 PM
He must be an Introvert...

If you meant me, then you sure are funny, bitch.*

Your right too.....

But FUCK introverts.

rep
03-12-2004, 04:26 PM
*you should really post questions like this in the albums section under the appropriate song (which I believe is pushit) where it belongs.

My bad, shall do.

SageBerkano
03-12-2004, 04:28 PM
in response to rep's question about "saw the gap again today..." from pushit live

for me its being tempted to go back and fall in love again and feel vulnerable. the gap is the fact that you're able to... the opportunity is there if u want to dive in. i put that song to my own experiences. "if i do we both may disappear..." that song is how i feel about relationships. (nothing to do w/thread. sorry)

Windir
03-13-2004, 07:33 AM
If you meant me, then you sure are funny, bitch.*

Your right too.....

But FUCK introverts.

Fuck benm10... and that Ape dude... or was it Abe?

deviatedwolf625
03-13-2004, 11:34 AM
I always seemed to intertwine faultline and gap, the gap is the nearly visible schism between me and someone I love, the faultline being the cause of that schism, so "Bang my head upon the faultline" = trying to work through it and failing.

regal lover
03-13-2004, 11:46 AM
I always seemed to intertwine faultline and gap, the gap is the nearly visible schism between me and someone I love, the faultline being the cause of that schism, so "Bang my head upon the faultline" = trying to work through it and failing.

soory for the ignorance bt when does he actuallty say faultline

Cylith
03-13-2004, 07:17 PM
[...] when does he actuallty say faultline

You serious?
In the song "Pushit"
In the line "Bang my head upon the fault line" like others in this thread have mentioned. They simply spelled it as one word, which is not all that uncommon.

Mehhico
03-14-2004, 06:34 PM
I always thought it was his mums vagina. God, was I way off.................or was I?

Mehhico
03-14-2004, 06:35 PM
I always thought it was his mums vagina. God, was I way off.................or was I?

Yes, yes you were. Gosh, what a tool.

.TP
03-14-2004, 07:04 PM
fault line = my anus, or maybe, uranus? hah!! i´m so fckn funny....

*shoot myself*

g-bay-be
03-14-2004, 09:54 PM
as for the gap. here we go. Listen to bottom. Bottom is where he was and push it is falling back into that place again... saw that gap again to day is seeing the way back into shit. shit keeps him alive at the bottom but he still doesn't want to go back there. this might also be confused with the butthole seeing as thats where shit is. so if the it sounds like he is talking about the butt hole. he is using a literary term called allegory. which is a writing with levels of meanings. so yes the song is about a butthole but of course its not about a butthole. reach a little deeper guys!

deathoughts
04-20-2004, 03:03 PM
recently JTCrace posted a huge write up on a meaning which was completely new to me...

oh and before i babble on some more....

diogenes got fuckin ripped by doctor rep haha... shot down....

yeh this JTC guy refers to the gap as, im sure some of you already know, the vagina of the speakers mother...

i cant really be screwed writing what this all has to do with, but its got to do with the jung and freud philosophy.

check it out.....the post is at the top of the pushit section now i think...

its name is like "i hope this doesnt piss maynard off"

see ya, and good work on shooting down digenes rep hahaha, it was amusing.

MiRrOR
04-24-2004, 10:21 PM
i thought this was blatantly obvious, but i guess not...

ok, i find this song in particular to be about relationship with self...himself...

i just picture this song, maynard singing it to himself in the mirror, and looking at his reflection..

and the banging on the fault line part to me, is him thinking about suicide.

thank u,
tom

imtheism
04-27-2004, 05:03 PM
i think it means the vagina kekekekeke
srsly.

not his mom's however. Possibly a girlfriend he was srsly involved with.

AllforUnity
04-28-2004, 12:09 PM
Are you drunk?

Shinji
07-11-2007, 01:35 AM
fault line = what causes an earth quake...
It makes sense before the "big one" image in "Aenema".