PDA

View Full Version : The Giver

ToolFool
03-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Has anyone here ever read the book "The Giver"? ITs about an alien society in which only a select few citizens can see colours and must pass on the gift to others. A possible connection to the song LAteralus? Its far fetched, but i'm just throwing it out their.

SadSummerSea
03-11-2004, 09:44 AM
I actually have read this book. It was a long time ago, so I'm not sure I can remember anything that would relate it to Lateralus, besides the absense of colour for some people.

It was a really good book, I enjoyed it.

Oh, and I edited your avatar. No boobies, please.

royc
03-11-2004, 09:56 AM
good one, interesting book and comparison. fancey food or crazy weather. even pain is quickly covered up so people hardly know what it is. "real life" existed all the while outside this community. my favorite part of the book was when he thought of heat to stay warm. my anatomy teacher insist that these things are all in the mind as far as our senses go.

ÆnimaticEnigma
03-12-2004, 12:41 PM
:-\ no boobies??? Anyways, yeah who's it by

ToolFool
03-17-2004, 07:56 AM
It was written by Lois Lowry and I highly suggest reading it.

Chaos Theory
03-22-2004, 08:28 PM
I recall having to read this book... as I remember, it was pretty good. And I must say, the theory of some connection with the song is an insight, indeed...

tuniabdoh
03-27-2004, 11:45 AM
ITs about an alien society in which only a select few citizens can see colours and must pass on the gift to others.You are very good at oversimplifying things.

africanherbsman
03-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Has anyone here ever read the book "The Giver"? ITs about an alien society in which only a select few citizens can see colours and must pass on the gift to others. A possible connection to the song LAteralus? Its far fetched, but i'm just throwing it out their.

I don't think it was an alien society, I'm pretty sure that It's a futuristic novel on Earth. I remember the Giver gave the kid a memory of the Civil war, and of an elephant being murdered, so I think it takes place on Earth

g-bay-be
03-28-2004, 07:54 PM
dude i love that book. and i dont quite see the connection but i can see where you are going

Chaos Theory
03-28-2004, 08:55 PM
I don't think it was an alien society, I'm pretty sure that It's a futuristic novel on Earth. I remember the Giver gave the kid a memory of the Civil war, and of an elephant being murdered, so I think it takes place on Earth
Well, technically, since it was a culture and society so different from our own, it would be alien to us. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that's not what the guy meant.

africanherbsman
03-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Well, technically, since it was a culture and society so different from our own, it would be alien to us. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that's not what the guy meant.

That's a good point, their society was so skewed from our, that it would seem almost alien.

Regarding its relation to the song, I don't think TOOL intendedthe song to coincide with The Giver. Although it is fits because he was blind to color, then they were visible to him, but it has no other correlation.

X M3NTAL X
03-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Yeah I read that book in the 8th or 9th grade. Yeah its pretty good. Another good one is Anthem.

thundergod
07-28-2004, 04:25 PM
yeah i read that in 8th grade it was good i see the connection also