PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for Stinkfist bass line?

Servitor
03-08-2004, 12:06 PM
My band are covering Stinkfist for a school rock concert thing because it's blatantly simple and that's good because it's a fresh band and we need something to get the blood going and it works well, anyway I was wandering if you had any advice for playing the bass line?... I looked it up on Tooltab.net and the tabbing is pretty consistent but I play a 5-string and I tend to drop the whole standard tuning (B,E,A,D,G) to D,G,C,F,B just so I keep the intervals at fourths and play the whole tab through transcribing into sheet music as I go, I tend to slap and pop to add definition to the line and it uses a few octaves too so it's quite convinient but I was wandering if any of you guys add any variations/techniques to the tabbed version or have any preffered effects to get more Justin esqe???

AllforUnity
03-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Go to www.mxtabs.net. l'm sure you'll find what you need there.

paraflux
03-08-2004, 02:36 PM
My band covered Stinkfist, it was the only song we felt we could accurately portray, even our version of it. Dont try to be Justin-esque. The cool thing about covers is that they should be done in versions, not verbatim. Do your version of Stinkfist if you feel you can do it justice. I tuned my bass ADADG for 95% of all our songs. Its a little harder to play this way, but it worked for me on Stinkfist and it was an interesting tuning all around.

minusjason
03-08-2004, 05:34 PM
My band are covering Stinkfist for a school rock concert thing because it's blatantly simple and that's good because it's a fresh band and we need something to get the blood going and it works well, anyway I was wandering if you had any advice for playing the bass line?... I looked it up on Tooltab.net and the tabbing is pretty consistent but I play a 5-string and I tend to drop the whole standard tuning (B,E,A,D,G) to D,G,C,F,B just so I keep the intervals at fourths and play the whole tab through transcribing into sheet music as I go, I tend to slap and pop to add definition to the line and it uses a few octaves too so it's quite convinient but I was wandering if any of you guys add any variations/techniques to the tabbed version or have any preffered effects to get more Justin esqe??? I'm hoping you mean you tune up to DGCFB cuz that'd be so incredibly low if you tuned down to it, and your strings would flop around like none other.

paraflux
03-09-2004, 08:31 AM
I thought about that and decided it was a typo.

Servitor
03-09-2004, 01:28 PM
I thought about that and decided it was a typo.

yeah sorry I meant tuned up