PDA

View Full Version : So Complex

LthirdSeyeD
03-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Alright this post isn't about any deep thoughts about the lyric but just a post for all the musicans out there.

I play guitar and bass and just have to say this is definatley the most complex tool I have ever heard. When I listen to it I hear atleast 3 different guitars. Theres the bass with that beautiful sliding riff. Seems a guitar is playing a harmony with the bass. Then the most beautiful part would have to be what seems to be an acoustic guitar that plays a neat little ending for the main riff. I love Maynard sings as another instrument not as a lyrical voice. Just such a beautiful and complex song I wish I could find a good tab for it.

AllforUnity
03-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Well...maybe that's because there ARE 3 guitars in the song. TOOL doesn't always just use one guitar, just like many bands don't. When TOOL came in 2002, Maynard, Adam, and Justin were playing guitar. So it's quite possible Maynard was playing in this song as well.

g-bay-be
03-07-2004, 06:46 AM
well, LthirdSeyeD the song is complex. and i am quite the musician. I am in training to become a music teacher actually. and the song is fairly nice. what is really great about it is the subtlety in the song. and it has a low and high point but it never really reaches a low or high which kind of takes away from it but I enjoy it. Push it is a great musical song. It has a build and keeps uilding and then has a drop off. no song is complete with out a low point. This is how you bring emotion out of a crowd. think of it as life, without that low point can you really measure the high point of your life? well anyway pushit breaks down and is very soft and then re builds up to a repeated melody and then "it will end now other wAAAAY" is the peak and it tapers off from there. Musically beautiful. disposition is a great choral but never really reached a low or high. My opinion only

LthirdSeyeD
03-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Very true but you could say that the low point and high point
comes in either Reflection or Triad because it is really one song?

neochrist
03-07-2004, 03:19 PM
things are only complex if you let them be.

dude3390
03-08-2004, 09:19 PM
things are only complex if you let them be.

Now, just how true is that?

I think what you may mean is that songs (things) are complex, but if you wish, you can let go of the complexity and just feel the music for what it is, the way it is intended- in the case of Disposition, a spiritual experience of some sort, IMO.
Keep in mind this is easier for people who are not musicians. But hey, maybe picking it apart is enjoyable for some.

As a musician myself, I sometimes find it hard, after multiple listening sessions, to keep from hearing guitar guitar guitar bass drums voice, as opposed to guitarguitarguitarbassdrumsvoice. You know what I mean? Although, with Tool, it's not that hard to get swept away, especially in the case of most of Lateralus.

neochrist
03-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Now, just how true is that?

I think what you may mean is that songs (things) are complex, but if you wish, you can let go of the complexity and just feel the music for what it is, the way it is intended- in the case of Disposition, a spiritual experience of some sort, IMO.
Keep in mind this is easier for people who are not musicians. But hey, maybe picking it apart is enjoyable for some.

As a musician myself, I sometimes find it hard, after multiple listening sessions, to keep from hearing guitar guitar guitar bass drums voice, as opposed to guitarguitarguitarbassdrumsvoice. You know what I mean? Although, with Tool, it's not that hard to get swept away, especially in the case of most of Lateralus.

things are only as complex as you let them be.

AllforUnity
03-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Actually l agree with neo...You could have just let that comment slide, but you wrote like 3 paragraphs on it, making it complex.

tcM_Emperor
09-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Neo is right, complexity is all personal perspective.

Cyanide ChrYst
09-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Seems a guitar is playing a harmony with the bass. Then the most beautiful part would have to be what seems to be an acoustic guitar that plays a neat little ending for the main riff. I love Maynard sings as another instrument not as a lyrical voice. Just such a beautiful and complex song I wish I could find a good tab for it.

I tabbed it all out; 100% correctly, and if I dont know it i DONT FUCKING TAB IT. Like all the goddamn idiots on tab sites. How much do you love seeing this?

"Schism, tabbed by 101FoxyMan
HEY GUYZ THIS IS MY FIRST TABB SO DNOT BE HARD ON ME LOL0LZZ"

Goddamnit I hate those kids so much.

Anyway. There are they guitars. One plays '2, 4, 4h5' (repeat). One fades in and out...then one plays the harmonics. It took me much deliberation but I tabbed out the entire song and I will gladly learn you some TOOL if you'd be interested.

MyCyanideChrYst

Cyanide ChrYst
09-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Also, a key piece of information about Adam's guitar work:

Adam plays shit that dexterously makes sense. If it's physically hard to play, then your tab is wrong. Everything he does sounds very intricate, but in reality when I tab them...it's stuff I learned a long time ago. He's a master of making beauty out of simplicity.

Basically, if your hand feels like it's got arthritis...you're playing it wrong.

Lackymacky
09-08-2004, 11:48 AM
have you tabbed out all the songs?

Lackymacky
09-08-2004, 11:50 AM
scratch that..

do you have bass tabs?

Cyanide ChrYst
09-09-2004, 02:39 PM
No but I can write them. I however do not own a bass.

I have all the songs tabbed in my head and fingers...it takes far too long to compose that shit online.

Lackymacky
09-09-2004, 04:55 PM
alright no biggie, wouldnt want to bother you to take too much time...

wouuld you be able to upload it? because i suck at hearing the bass in the backround, it may be easy for others but for not for me, i jsut get lost because therer is usually a distorted guiat which makes it impiossible to herer, and i have gone on tooltabs.net, but like i said i need to here the bass first.

if you could upload your bassist, you, or justing playing the parts, i would greatly appreciate it...

if you cant ill have to kill you :'(

Cyanide ChrYst
09-10-2004, 02:39 PM
I dont have anything to record music into the computer. But I'll see what i can do.

And dude...you're not supposed to hear the bass. Turn up the sound and feel it.

Lackymacky
09-11-2004, 04:48 AM
i do..but its just well you know, bassy, as in ERRRR, you know? the loud bass sound (dont know if im making sense)

and the thing is i dont know notes, so i wouldnt be able to tell what he was playing anyways..

and thanks for seeing what you can do, i dotn want to trouble you!

Windir
09-11-2004, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/t/tool/disposition_intro_tab.htm)

Cyanide ChrYst
09-11-2004, 09:24 AM
You dont need to know notes on bass to play. I never took a lesson in my life and I'm better than half the kids at my school. All you need to figure out is how to hit the same notes.

Try it with your voice. If you have a guitar or bass, hold a note with your voice and pluck the string until you find that note. It's like tuning your ears. Once you can do that, you can tab any song.

Lackymacky
09-11-2004, 10:14 AM
alriught cool, thanks man ill try that

Lackymacky
09-11-2004, 10:15 AM
(www.tooltabs.net is probably better than ultimate guitar)

Raev'n
09-20-2004, 12:10 AM
http://www.mxtabs.net : Best one I've ever been to