PDA

View Full Version : Pain in my head while listening....

holy reality
12-29-2002, 05:41 PM
I can't remember if the song was lateralus or not, but I think it was.

Last night I was listening to it with headphones like always and I noticed the way the drumming pans across the left and right channels. I started focusing on the drumming instead of the lyrics/guitar and began to feel that the sound was thicker in my right ear than in my left. Like the sound sort of visually slants upward to the right and gets bigger as it goes up, leaving the right ear with the most sound.

It's hard to describe, especially since I don't remember it that well, but After a while the right side of my head just above my ear started hurting pretty badly, like there was tons of pressure in it, and I could tell the music was influencing the pain and it especially increased with the drums.

Now I wasn't listening to it very loud, and I wasn't high, nor sick. I was really relaxed and kind of meditating to some degree, just really trying to focus on the music. I can't really explain what I felt, but other songs have caused me pain as well. Sometimes I will feel like I'm choking, like my shirt is tightening itself around my neck, but it seems to fade away when the music stops.

What do you all think about this? Am I "feeling" the music? If I just casually listen without laying down, closing my eyes, and breathing deeply, it doesn't happen......

My only explanation is that somehow my sense are becoming extremely sensitive, maybe because I've shut off my vision and focusing so much on what I'm hearing that my sense of touch becomes more active that it normaly would, resulting in the choking feeling from my shirt. It doesn't explain the pain in my head associated with Lateralus though....

4nick8
12-30-2002, 11:35 AM
Low volume music should in no way cause any physical damage or otherwise pain to the body.

I'd say it is a coincidince, if it wasn't for the fact that you mentioned feeling pain with songs before. Then it occured to me:

You are inventing it.

Sounds to me like it is all in your head. Somewhere (perhaps subconsciously) you willed your body to respond to the music, and became hypersensitive to anything different in your body.

I'm not saying you are a nutcase fruit-bat or anything, It is normal.

But, it might be good to lay off the acid, if you catch my meaning.

46&2
12-30-2002, 12:23 PM
Umm... you might want to get that checked out. It would be a cool experience if it didnt hurt.

SRx71
12-30-2002, 07:34 PM
While our bodies seem to have reactions to Tool song, and get "TOOLgasms", this may be a different kind of reaction to the music. However, I get TOOLgasms, when listening to this song, and Lateralus as a whole. You may have just had a headache when this happened.

dissociation
12-30-2002, 11:48 PM
it's a tumor. TUUUMMMAAAAAH.

Andy0
01-09-2003, 03:57 AM
Meditative or focused state of mind, energizing music and felt, physical pain with no obvious cause?

Sounds like your body just reminded you of its energy-aspect. Tingling feelings, pain and trembling are not unfamiliar to those who practise more intense forms of meditation. Just realize that these feelings are not delusional or "illusions" as such, they are manifestations of your psychophysical whole.

I also sometimes experience physical symptoms when listening to good music, sometimes it can be quite unpleasant.

holy reality
01-12-2003, 03:13 PM
hmmmm.... as of late it hasn't happened again.... the last time i meditated or at least attempted to (which was yetserday) i started falling alseep... could've just been a headache i guess

gobbla
01-12-2003, 04:24 PM
as for the drums going from ear to ear, i found this too: the different part of the drums are miked to the left or right, like when danny does a drum roll through his toms you can hear it go from either right to left or left to right, same with the cymbals and where they are set up in the drumset

flummox
01-13-2003, 01:21 PM
i definitely get a body buzz while listening to this song; whether i'm high or sober. gee, even typing about it now sent shivers down my spine. cool !!

you might want to experiment with the "pain" you are getting. try listening to the song again in the same atmosphere you got this sensation in. see if you get the same pain when listening to the drums. let us know, please.

i have not listened to this album with headphones yet. i should. maybe i will tonight. sounds like a plan to me...

i'll let you know tomorrow if i get any

holy reality
01-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Wow.... how could you have gone so long without using haedphones? Lateralus is totally a headphone album, and I can't imagine listening to it without headphones, it just isn't the same. The only advantage is with speakers you can get it a lot louder without hurting your hearying.... anyway pretty much every time I listen I notice something new twirling around the insides of my head..... Aenima is great for headphones too btw....

I'll post again if I get any more pain or weird sensations.... the one that happens most is I feel like my shirt is strangling me, it's very unpleasant.

flummox
01-14-2003, 09:46 AM
... using some preventative magick to protect you or something. maybe draw a pentogram on the groung and sit inside of it while listening. maybe some other symbols on the headphones themselves would work. i don't know...

but it sounds like that is a serious "problem". look into it and let me know what happens...

the King of Heat,

cap'n flummox

holy reality
01-15-2003, 05:27 PM
well i don't believe in magick.... so that would be a little it futile for me to do.........

funny though, it reminds me of something i read on their site about danny summoning a daemon and encouraging extreme caution when listening to their new album (lateralus? or a new upcoming album?) well it was pretty funny nonetheless

VillageIdiot
01-20-2003, 10:31 PM
Definitely headphones are good- the sound is so much more concentrated.

Anema (the song) sounds awesome- the "Learn to Swim" fully circles around your head...

SpaceManBass
01-23-2003, 03:41 PM
I have never experienced anything strange while listening to tool but during this summer i worked in a filing room and we were alowed to play CD's while we worked. My friend and I had lateralus going and the girl who was working with us (who had never heard tool) was very quiet the whole time. When the disc was done she started talking kind of panicky saying that we couldnt play that cd anymore because for some reason it was giving her panic attacks. I asked her about this and she said it also happens when she listens to tragic kingdom by no doubt. I have no idea what those albums have in common...perhaps some sort of similar frequency resonance ? I don't know... when i first started listening to tool it would always make me drowsy. That feeling was replaced by exhiliration as I got more used to the album. I used to get drowsy as a kid whenever I heard jazz music too.

Fruitbar11
01-26-2003, 01:56 PM
I too have experienced very weird feelings of paranoia, anxiety, and even pain. Whether this was done intentionally or not I feel it is in direct effect to the genius of the band. Not enough can be said about what Tool has done for my life. Not only has it helped me to open up to different ideas, but also made me a better person.

Back to the subject of these weird feelings. I always have felt them, and noticed they grow alot stronger during the Lateralus drum part and in general the song. Enough to the point that until today I never really have payed muched attention to the lyrics after the first part.

Staying on the subject of odd feelings but moving to different song. During the whole entire track of parabol/parabola combined I notice strong feelings of deja vu. Very unusual feeling especially when somethignt hat has never happened to you feel like deja vu.

I have never really thought about attempting meditation of any type and was wondering if maybe someone for PM me some good links to sites that could help me get started.

I was also wondering if anyone else noticed feelings of deja vu after or during listening to tool. And as to what some of you have said to the original poster about then having a few screws loose, I think you are terribly cold... but it's your opinion to have. Maybe im just saying if you think I'm the same way, don't tell me you do. Because I thought that to be possible until I really though about it.

Well thats all. Thanks for any feedback.

Toad
01-27-2003, 07:17 PM
I've never experienced pain, but at times it seems like my senses were extended beyond normal means, and yet at other times it was almost as if i was in a lull.

As for meditation help...click on my profile and the homepage in there should get you started just fine.

holy reality
01-28-2003, 06:58 PM
And as to what some of you have said to the original poster about then having a few screws loose, I think you are terribly cold

Hey thanks for defending me, but they were just kidding, and if they weren't it's no big deal.

Anyway as far as weird sensations go, I have a few more to describe, but they weren't painful.

A long time ago when parabol goes into parabola with the huge volume swell, I felt like I had floated up out of my bed, only I was still lying on something, but it didn't feel like it was my bed, it was insanely cool and gave me a huge rush.

The second was recently with the salival version of pushit. It was at the end of the large drumming part, it felt like my "soul" had been swept into the very back of my head and I had somehow sunken deep within myself.

As for the choking sensation, I find that somtimes I feel it throughout the day, I'm wondering if maybe something is wrong with my neck.... I don't know. I feel pain in strange places a lot, but not the kind I have sometiems felt while listening.

cradled
01-30-2003, 09:43 AM
There is some kind of weird shit going on with Lateralus.

I couldn't listen to it in the early morning because I would get terrible stomachaches. I think it's the "daemon" Danny summoned while making the record.

There's some weird subliminal stuff going on, just like in "Hooker with a Penis" That song is chock-full of subliminals.

Not that this is bad or anything, you just have to know how to protect yourself. I do.

If any of you care to learn, it's really easy.

Just ask me.

holy reality
01-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Ok, how?

And you shouldn't belive anything toolband.com says, especially about Danny summoning a Daemon....

and subliminals? Just that guy that goes "step out" and says some lines of the chorus before that....

and I had another similar experience last night

http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2419