PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Lateralus....

eulogy508
02-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Does anyone know what I mean how I can just hear a Tool song in my head (usually from Lateralus), and it is just so great and satisyfing.... music has such a strong power on me, and I dont even need to hear a song to love it in all of it's beauty... Man, I love Tool... Lateralus is a masterpiece... Danney Carey's drum work on Lateralus is very beautiful... like on Parabola at the end. It barely sounds like drums, more like a sweeping sound just rushing between your ears. Maynard's voice is so amazing, too. He sings like no one else I've heard before. It's just beautiful. And how all the instruments work so well as a whole is spectacular. There's so much great chemistry going on. It must all come easy to the members of Tool. They just work really well together... And the breakdown in Ticks and Leeches... that nice-sounding guitar playing for two or more minutes with those unexplainable noises in the background that compliment the song and add more atmosphere to it... then all the other instruments suddenly come in with a fury of beauty, chaos and urgency... driving the song to an amazing climax... and Lateralus (the song), is along with Parabola and D/R/T one of the most atmospheric, incredible songs they've done yet. One of my favorite moments is when the first guitar solo comes in... same with the second one... it's just a jaw-dropping musical experience... these magical moments are part of why I'm starting to drift a little bit away from Radiohead and more towards Tool. And of course the grand finale, the peak of the song is awe-inspiring.

D/R/T, to me is a very emotional piece of music. The most emotional group of songs by Tool. Disposition is a very mellow song and I see beautiful rainy days when I hear it. Looking out the window and seeing everything drenched. Staying inside my room and just listening, kind of losing a sense of time (this happens a lot when I hear Tool). It is a little bit short for a Tool song and ends sooner than expected. Then the tribal drums of Reflection take me into a neverending forest, a dark graveyard, deep into self-reflection and discovery. Maynard's vocals are expecially depressing to me, (not in a bad way, though) and I think this is the one Tool song that draws me in and never lets me out until the final second. I drift into another state of reality and I look around my room but time seems to have stopped. Then when the guitar solo comes in, I am spoken to even more. It says a lot without even saying anything at all. It's just as emotional as the rest of the song. When Reflection ends, I'm not as sullen-feeling and the state of depression and loss of time is mostly gone. I hear Triad as a kind of uprising of something, it just pulses on and on and the guitar, bass and drums work together better than ever. It is fantastic.

The Patient is a great song and the transition from Eon Blue Apocolypse is very nice, soothing.... because of the big adrenaline rush I get when hearing the ending to The Grudge, it calms me down a little. The Grudge feels to me like a pretty aggressive track, along with Ticks and Leeches, but it still has its atmospheric qualities. I couldn't see it anywhere else on the album. The best part of the patient is when Maynard sings a line from the verse, and then it builds into the chorus, but there are two voices singing the two different things. It's not hard to be reduced to tears when hearing this part.

Schism is a song that depends a lot on the lyrics, though I love the breakdown in the middle of the song. It makes me picture people in hospital beds, near death. Emotional things. Hopelessness. Then everything comes together for the big ending.

I love Lateralus, and as I walked outside into the night for a couple of minutes tonight, I couldn't have thought any better of it. The sky was the darkest blue there is and tiny wisps of white covered it in some areas, though I could still see the stars. The chorus of Parabola ran through my head as I saw several spotlights dance above me. The mistook them for something else, something paranormal possibly, but even though this was not true, I felt that nothing could be more complete as I stared up into the night sky.

LAtErALuS058
03-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Does anyone know what I mean how I can just hear a Tool song in my head (usually from Lateralus), and it is just so great and satisyfing.... music has such a strong power on me, and I dont even need to hear a song to love it in all of it's beauty... Man, I love Tool... Lateralus is a masterpiece... Danney Carey's drum work on Lateralus is very beautiful... like on Parabola at the end. It barely sounds like drums, more like a sweeping sound just rushing between your ears. Maynard's voice is so amazing, too. He sings like no one else I've heard before. It's just beautiful. And how all the instruments work so well as a whole is spectacular. There's so much great chemistry going on. It must all come easy to the members of Tool. They just work really well together... And the breakdown in Ticks and Leeches... that nice-sounding guitar playing for two or more minutes with those unexplainable noises in the background that compliment the song and add more atmosphere to it... then all the other instruments suddenly come in with a fury of beauty, chaos and urgency... driving the song to an amazing climax... and Lateralus (the song), is along with Parabola and D/R/T one of the most atmospheric, incredible songs they've done yet. One of my favorite moments is when the first guitar solo comes in... same with the second one... it's just a jaw-dropping musical experience... these magical moments are part of why I'm starting to drift a little bit away from Radiohead and more towards Tool. And of course the grand finale, the peak of the song is awe-inspiring.

D/R/T, to me is a very emotional piece of music. The most emotional group of songs by Tool. Disposition is a very mellow song and I see beautiful rainy days when I hear it. Looking out the window and seeing everything drenched. Staying inside my room and just listening, kind of losing a sense of time (this happens a lot when I hear Tool). It is a little bit short for a Tool song and ends sooner than expected. Then the tribal drums of Reflection take me into a neverending forest, a dark graveyard, deep into self-reflection and discovery. Maynard's vocals are expecially depressing to me, (not in a bad way, though) and I think this is the one Tool song that draws me in and never lets me out until the final second. I drift into another state of reality and I look around my room but time seems to have stopped. Then when the guitar solo comes in, I am spoken to even more. It says a lot without even saying anything at all. It's just as emotional as the rest of the song. When Reflection ends, I'm not as sullen-feeling and the state of depression and loss of time is mostly gone. I hear Triad as a kind of uprising of something, it just pulses on and on and the guitar, bass and drums work together better than ever. It is fantastic.

The Patient is a great song and the transition from Eon Blue Apocolypse is very nice, soothing.... because of the big adrenaline rush I get when hearing the ending to The Grudge, it calms me down a little. The Grudge feels to me like a pretty aggressive track, along with Ticks and Leeches, but it still has its atmospheric qualities. I couldn't see it anywhere else on the album. The best part of the patient is when Maynard sings a line from the verse, and then it builds into the chorus, but there are two voices singing the two different things. It's not hard to be reduced to tears when hearing this part.

Schism is a song that depends a lot on the lyrics, though I love the breakdown in the middle of the song. It makes me picture people in hospital beds, near death. Emotional things. Hopelessness. Then everything comes together for the big ending.

I love Lateralus, and as I walked outside into the night for a couple of minutes tonight, I couldn't have thought any better of it. The sky was the darkest blue there is and tiny wisps of white covered it in some areas, though I could still see the stars. The chorus of Parabola ran through my head as I saw several spotlights dance above me. The mistook them for something else, something paranormal possibly, but even though this was not true, I felt that nothing could be more complete as I stared up into the night sky.

In all honesty Eulogy, I could put it any better...