PDA

View Full Version : Not for a person...

In(di)go
02-28-2004, 05:33 PM
well I tried to think outside the box about this song for a while... i know maynard has some issues with christianity due to the way his parents raised him... but i feel that he wouldnt condemn a master like jesus christ just like that, especially when you keep in mind that 46 & 2 is the chromosomes a human has when he achieves christ conciousness (according to drunvalo melchizedec in the flower of life)... but lets leave asside my assumptions about maynards take on jesus christ and focus on the subject... it is known that he likes to mess around with us and interpreting this song is about jesus christ is just TOO EASY... i dont think its about ron hubbard, either although that sounds a little more plausible... but well, in my eyes this song is about...

THE EGO

think about it for a while and then re-listen to this song and try to see it as a eulogy for ones own ego after this has died... consider and remember what maynard says about the ego in reflection "so crucify the ego before it's far too late and leave behind this place so negative and blind and cinical and you will come to find that we are all one mind capable of all thats imagined and all conceivable"

hope you appreciate my take... feel free to state your opinion =o)

all the light

Mehhico
02-29-2004, 06:55 PM
well I tried to think outside the box about this song for a while... i know maynard has some issues with christianity due to the way his parents raised him... but i feel that he wouldnt condemn a master like jesus christ just like that, especially when you keep in mind that 46 & 2 is the chromosomes a human has when he achieves christ conciousness (according to drunvalo melchizedec in the flower of life)... but lets leave asside my assumptions about maynards take on jesus christ and focus on the subject... it is known that he likes to mess around with us and interpreting this song is about jesus christ is just TOO EASY... i dont think its about ron hubbard, either although that sounds a little more plausible... but well, in my eyes this song is about...

THE EGO

think about it for a while and then re-listen to this song and try to see it as a eulogy for ones own ego after this has died... consider and remember what maynard says about the ego in reflection "so crucify the ego before it's far too late and leave behind this place so negative and blind and cinical and you will come to find that we are all one mind capable of all thats imagined and all conceivable"

all the light

Excellant!!!!!! I agree with you, and have had this idea since I first started reading into this album about 4 years ago. I think it may even continue into H. which can be interpreted as the struggle between the Self and the Ego. The Ego is "too connected to" him (the Self) and in this song he realises that he must integrate this part of himself into his consciousness.

The idea of the line "considerately killing me", indicates the draining it has on the body, which follows on into 46&2 where he states "do what it takes to step through". Although 46&2 seems to be clearly referring to "the shadow", I think the album may be involving many of the archetypes of Jungian theory, and trying to bring them all together, on par, with our True Self. There is a lot of emphasis in Jungian theory on integrating all of these aspects, or archetypes, of our selves, balancing them, so as there is no over (or under)-identification.

I have done a bit of work in intergrating my shadow into my consciousness, but it is an ongoing process. I don't feel too bad, though, as Carl Jung himself has stated that he is unfamiliar with his own shadow.

Oh, well, I didn't want to get too into it, just wanted to pass on my ideas.

Take care,
Andy

AllforUnity
03-02-2004, 01:03 PM
So you're saying that this song is just about whoever the person is? l like that...that actually does make since. Because in the song, the Eulogy isn't exacty nice, but not totally disrespectful...kind of like something you would say to yourself, or about yourself when someone asked. lnteresting...

In(di)go
03-07-2004, 01:07 PM
So you're saying that this song is just about whoever the person is? l like that...that actually does make since. Because in the song, the Eulogy isn't exacty nice, but not totally disrespectful...kind of like something you would say to yourself, or about yourself when someone asked. lnteresting...
im glad you appreciate it! its weird cuz i was always reluctant about that song... everyone kept telling me it was obviously about jesus christ and i just couldnt concurr... and everytime i heard it i tried to figure out a way that this song would make more sense for me... until it dawned to me that it might be about the own ego... and it was like enlightment...

and mehhico: i like your ideas about the jungian theme in aenema... especially the progression from eulogy into h into 46and2 ... i was considering studying psychology for some time because of the stuff i had read about c.g. jung, but freud just scared the shit outta me *lol* and modern psychology is pretty much based on his ideas so its something i just cant agree with...

AllforUnity
03-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Well l try to look at everyone's point of veiw how they veiw it.

l really don't think this song is about Jesus, and l saw your idea, and it seemed cool.

Flojob
03-08-2004, 12:35 PM
and when i write an interpretation just like this like 6 months ago no one responds?!?!?!

anyway i do agree with you and it is always pleasing to see people on the same page.

TwiceEternalBassist
03-10-2004, 08:27 PM
well I tried to think outside the box about this song for a while... i know maynard has some issues with christianity due to the way his parents raised him... but i feel that he wouldnt condemn a master like jesus christ just like that, ...

Listen to the song "Judith" by A Perfect Circle if you don't think Maynard would "condemn a master like jesus..."

I personally think this song is about anyone who thinks they are better than anyone else, though.

AllforUnity
03-12-2004, 08:56 AM
l think the idea of it being about yourself is still pretty cool...

But, thinking about it as thinking you're better than someone else is cool.

Peaceful Moments
03-12-2004, 10:08 AM

all the light

*Listens to Eulogy*
Never looked at it from that angle, real cool idea, I like it

PRNinja23
03-30-2004, 04:39 PM
I agree completely.. Moreover, there are many other Tool songs about the ego -- the whole album, Aenima, is about the process by which Maynard's ego was surrenderred. When you look at the whole album in light of this, the meaning of every song becomes apparent. Stinkfist is about the rituals of the ego and its fundemental belief that more is better and its confusion with pain and pleasure. Forty-six & Two is about the process in which the ego is revealed and surrendered. The "shadow" is the dark side of the ego - the self-hatred lurking in the shadow of narcissism. Jimmy is about stopping the cycles of abuse in the personal ego through spiritual purification. Sexual abuse is an ego disease that is passed down and expressed in destructive behavior (including more abuse) until it is stopped by full exposure. Push It is about a personal ego battle where he describes the ego as an infant. (Also represented in Crawl Away.) The foundation of the ego is repressed pain of infancy expressed in most humans as selfishness.

Aenima is Maynard praying that others discover their own personal ego-battles and flush 'em all away. The Third Eye opens when the ego has been dissolved completely and one realizes deeply "that we are the imagination of ourselves." This happens when one reaches Enlightenment of which the Buddha taught. This is the ultimate human accomplishment.

AllforUnity
03-31-2004, 12:34 PM
As l was talking about in Stinkfist, being the first stage, Eulogy is the second stage of becoming your "ultimate" self. You must rid yourself of your ego...that's what this song is about doing, it's about crucifying your ego.