PDA

View Full Version : Just my weird little 'crack pot' theory (no its not about Heroin)

Darkest Day 87
02-27-2004, 04:33 PM
I have read a lot of the interpretations of this song, and they all sound good.. But I think I may have one. It may be obscure, but, I think it works a bit.

The overall theme, I think, is that someone who is not necessarily good, or who may have hurt Maynard/Whom ever the song is about, in the past, is trying to come back. And there is an internal struggle going on, as to welcome this person back or not. This is what I mean:

"What's coming through is alive.
What's holding up is a mirror."

I think that those lines represent something/someone that appears to be changed, or changing, but in reality is just the same.

"But what's singing songs is a snake
Looking to turn this piss to wine.
They're both totally void of hate,
But killing me just the same."

Here, someone is trying to get back into the subject life, and saws things that seem impossible due to the past. I think that what happend may of not been intentinal, but but still hurt.

"The snake behind me hisses
What my damage could have been.
My blood before me begs me
Open up my heart again.
And I feel this coming over like a storm again.
Considerately."

This is my main point, "the snake behind me [hissing] / What my damage could have been." is memories of past pain coming back to mind.
While "My blood before me begs me / Open up my heart again." The blood is referring to a family member, whom is trying to get back into the subjects life.
And again, the "storm" could mean strong emotions.

"Venomous voice, tempts me,
Drains me, bleeds me,
Leaves me cracked and empty.
Drags me down like some sweet gravity."

Again, this individual, trying to get back, trying to reconnect, even if it is not the best thing for the subject. It is also bringing the person down, and causing new pain.

"I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away.
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me,
And considerately killing me."

Now the subject gives in, letting the individual back into his/her life, feeling that they once had, and still have, a strong connection.

Without the skin,
Beneath the storm,
Under these tears
The walls came down.

I feel, again reiterating the point of a reopening.

"And the snake is drowned and
As I look in his eyes,
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of those times.
I could have cried then.
I should have cried then.
And as the walls come down and
As I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade"

The snake drowning can have the meaning of the past being washed away, and the fear fading also relays the same feeling. The point of "i could / should of cried" seems to be much like a regret.. maybe lagging doubt about this new unity.

"Recalling all of the times
I have died
and will die.
It's all right.
I don't mind."

I think this has some power too it. In my opinion, it suggests the idea that the subject would do anything (including dieing {mental and maybe physical level}) for the person who has reentered their life.

Slip away, to fade away.

And again, the repeat line of being connected, and being always changed by this person.. maybe in a good way, but most likely bad.... and I feel that its not intentional.. thus by the line "considerately killing me"

Well people, that's my little interpretation, and I know it may not be as "good" as the others, but it's what the song means to me, and "right" or "wrong" it is still a possibility.. maybe..

Anyway.,., I hope it was not too confusing.. thanks!

uhh...fork?
03-07-2004, 04:45 PM
i like how you kept the song opened to being about a person or thing in general as opposed to Maynard individualy. Glad i read this, and glad it isnt another heroin theory.

AllforUnity
03-08-2004, 12:34 PM
l like your interpretion of the song. lt's well though out...you didn't just say some stupid crap about how it all has to do with drugs, as alot of other people seem to think.

uhh...fork?
03-08-2004, 12:57 PM
l like your interpretion of the song. lt's well though out...you didn't just say some stupid crap about how it all has to do with drugs, as alot of other people seem to think.
Agreed.

Darkest Day 87
03-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys. I try to stay away from the popular theories, cause then, there is just 400 posts about the same crap. Again, this is what the song means to me, and it's cool that you feel it may be plausible, lol.

AllforUnity
03-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Not a problem.

Even though, following people isn't always wrong. l do like your interpretation.

Luna Galapogos
03-10-2004, 10:17 PM
I must agree on some many levels. I do believe you have the right idea about family members and such, but I think that some stanzas might have different meanings then you gave them, but that is me. I can post my thoughts on your interpretation along with lyrics if you'd like.

AllforUnity
03-12-2004, 08:57 AM
This thread seems to bet getting old.

Darkest Day 87
03-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Luna, if you would like to, that'd be great, i'm always open to new ideas about songs and such.

Chaos Theory
03-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Quite the excellent interpretation. And thank whatever god may or may not exist that it's not about Heroin.

Darkest Day 87
03-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Quite the excellent interpretation. And thank whatever god may or may not exist that it's not about Heroin.

Thanks.. oh, and "You're Welcome" also.. hehe

AllforUnity
03-23-2004, 08:08 PM
l didn't get one.

Darkest Day 87
03-24-2004, 04:05 PM
l didn't get one.

I'M SORRY! Thank you too!.. i don't want to forget any one!! so if I forgot you.. sorry!

AllforUnity
03-25-2004, 05:14 PM
l don't even know what l was talking about.

Darkest Day 87
03-25-2004, 05:24 PM
l don't even know what l was talking about.

I don't either.. but it's cool.. so.. yea...

heh

Luna Galapogos
03-27-2004, 02:40 PM
This is essentially the first post, with only slight variations from the first.

"What's coming through is alive.
What's holding up is a mirror."

I think that those lines represent something/someone that appears to be the same, (perhaps Maynard's child) but is the complete opposite of him (your reflection is the opposite of you, it might look the same, but it is you reversed)

"But what's singing songs is a snake
Looking to turn this piss to wine.
They're both totally void of hate,
But killing me just the same."

Here, someone is trying to get back into the subject life (Devo H. Keenan), and sees things that he doesn't want to accept such as having a son. I think that what happend may of not been intentinal, but still hurt. (It could have also been something Maynard didn't want to do to Devo, and was scared that he might because of recalling his childhood...something on those lines anyway)

"The snake behind me hisses
What my damage could have been.
My blood before me begs me
Open up my heart again.
And I feel this coming over like a storm again.
Considerately."

This is my main point, "the snake behind me [hissing] / What my damage could have been." is memories of past pain coming back to mind. (his stepfather primarily)
While "My blood before me begs me / Open up my heart again." The blood is referring to something he has lost (and perhaps he wants to find - Jimmy), His heart wants to open up to Devo, it is begging him to open, but he is scared. the "storm" could mean the strong emotions he feels when he considers his two options of accepting his son, or denying him because of not being able to let go of the past.

"Venomous voice, tempts me,
Drains me, bleeds me,
Leaves me cracked and empty.
Drags me down like some sweet gravity."

Devo is trying to get into his father's life and connect with him, he doesn't realize it is not the best thing for him to try and understand his father, he doesn't realize why Maynard is pushing him away or is reluctant around him. It is bringing Maynard down, and causing new/but at the same time, old pains. He needs to get through his past, even if it is "inch by inch by loaded memory"

Slip away, to fade away.

He knows that he loves Devo way too much to ever let him fade out of his life, he wants to be there for him, and he knows that no matter how much pain he has gone through because of Devo's existence, he is changed by him anyway. His son is helping him, but through his innocence is also killing Maynard

Without the skin,
Beneath the storm,
Under these tears
The walls came down.

He finally breaks down the barriers of his past, overcomes his pain and completly unites with his son, he has shed his tears, the walls came down, the storm of his past can no longer hold his future back

"And the snake is drowned and
As I look in his eyes,
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of those times.
I could have cried then.
I should have cried then.
And as the walls come down and
As I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade"

The snake drowning can have the meaning of the past being washed away, and the fear fading also relays the same feeling. The point of "i could / should of cried" seems to be his now objective look back onto the "storm" and his realizing that he should have just opened his heart and cried, let out all that was in him that would hold him back (I think that his tears are what drowned the snake, all his pain was washed away by his willingness to open up)

"Recalling all of the times
I have died
and will die.
It's all right.
I don't mind."

Now he recalls his childhood and how he died then due to whatever happened to create so much pain, he will die again, maybe if Devo does something horrible to him in the future. But now it's all right so he doesn't mind, he has fixed himself and made everything right in his mind, nothing will ever do to him what has already happened

Slip away, to fade away.

And again, the repeat line of being connected, and being always changed by this person, and I believe this change is a positive change, a change that will continualy sp? touch and change him. "considerately killing me" I think refers to his constant change of who he is, and what he thinks, and the reason for this is Devo, therefore, Devo is constantly but considerately killing him.

I hope I didn't destroy your main intention, but this is what I felt about the lines in the light of the song being about family members.

Darkest Day 87
03-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Luna,

That was really good, I liked how you took my interpretation and kinda, molded it as being around Maynard's son..

I can see the song as being that way too.. which is the mystery that created these forums..

good work.

Luna Galapogos
03-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Luna,

That was really good, I liked how you took my interpretation and kinda, molded it as being around Maynard's son..

I can see the song as being that way too.. which is the mystery that created these forums..

good work.

Thanks. Also, I haven't seen this, but I heard that in a concert, he mentioned that it was about his son, which would fit in with what I said I think.

Also, his son's name is, as I said, Devo H. Keenan. His son's middle name is H, so that also seems to point in the direction of it being about Devo.

AllforUnity
03-29-2004, 01:12 PM
l have a concert of houston on a CD talking about this song...Maynard says this song is about when your friends or family get into your business and try to help you, but all they're doing is pulling you down. l think the title H. stands for Hell, as in your personal hell...in other words, the world we live in.

Darkest Day 87
03-29-2004, 06:48 PM
l have a concert of houston on a CD talking about this song...Maynard says this song is about when your friends or family get into your business and try to help you, but all they're doing is pulling you down. l think the title H. stands for Hell, as in your personal hell...in other words, the world we live in.

that's cool that you found that.. cause it gives the idea a little more credibility..... but I still think that the title may relate to a family member in some way.. but Hell.. it may be right too..

Luna Galapogos
03-30-2004, 09:56 AM
In the FAQ it is mentioned about it being the same as having a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. Who is the devil, and who is the angel?

Darkest Day 87
03-30-2004, 05:38 PM
In the FAQ it is mentioned about it being the same as having a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. Who is the devil, and who is the angel?

I think maybe in this case, the devil and angel may be reversed.. I mean.. the angel is usually representing good or good deeds/actions for all, or in general. Maybe the angel is "saying" for this individual, (Maynard's son or otherwise) to be welcomed, which may not be the best thing.. and the devil, which represents 'evil', is saying to close this person out.. which may be for the beter I’m not really sure....just theories....

Luna Galapogos
03-31-2004, 09:51 AM
I think maybe in this case, the devil and angel may be reversed.. I mean.. the angel is usually representing good or good deeds/actions for all, or in general. Maybe the angel is "saying" for this individual, (Maynard's son or otherwise) to be welcomed, which may not be the best thing.. and the devil, which represents 'evil', is saying to close this person out.. which may be for the beter I’m not really sure....just theories....

That makes sense. Unless the angel knew that it would be better to shut the person out. The devil in this case would be openly inviting someone into your life that would hurt you. hmmmm......just theories as you say

AllforUnity
03-31-2004, 12:34 PM
Yeah, Maynard said that in a concert about this song, l have the concert on CD. l also think that theory goes well with Undertow.

Darkest Day 87
03-31-2004, 01:40 PM
That makes sense. Unless the angel knew that it would be better to shut the person out. The devil in this case would be openly inviting someone into your life that would hurt you. hmmmm......just theories as you say

I can see that as well.. the Angel/Devil idea is a good way of kinda showing the two sides in the song...I would not of thought of this at all, thanks for introducing that idea in this post..

Yeah, Maynard said that in a concert about this song, l have the concert on CD. l also think that theory goes well with Undertow.

That's a good theory, but I don't fully agree. IMO, Undertow is more about the relentless cycle of falling back into hell, which is disguised as euphoria via drugs or something else.. kinda like taking one step forward, and two steps back.. But don't get me wrong, the Devil/Angel theory is plausible..

On a semi-related note, I think that Undertow could also be about a relationship with someone who is a drain on the subject... an Undertow to H. connection.. maybe...

Luna Galapogos
04-01-2004, 07:54 PM
On a semi-related note, I think that Undertow could also be about a relationship with someone who is a drain on the subject... an Undertow to H. connection.. maybe...

I don't think that they tie their CDs tie into each other like that, I think that each CD has its own thoughts, its own new way of thinking compared to the others. That is my opinion of course. They just don't seem like a band that feels that that is necessary at all, they seem to evolve into new thoughts and ideas in each CD. oh well, that could just be me, but I'll stick to that probably

Darkest Day 87
04-02-2004, 12:30 PM
I don't think that they tie their CDs tie into each other like that, I think that each CD has its own thoughts, its own new way of thinking compared to the others. That is my opinion of course. They just don't seem like a band that feels that that is necessary at all, they seem to evolve into new thoughts and ideas in each CD. oh well, that could just be me, but I'll stick to that probably

I agree with you.. I was just noting that maybe Undertow and H. have the same main idea in some sort of way.. not so much that they can be directly connected or are the same song...

exojjl
01-27-2005, 01:19 AM

the songs arnt about whats right, its about your interpretation and if you get something positive out of it. no one can stress this enough. besides the fact that band themselves have mentioned stuff similar to this.

JstCloseUrEyes
02-01-2005, 07:43 PM
...I never thought I would be actually replying to my "thought"...
Yes...I made this topic when I was Darkest Day 87, before my account got all fucked willy nilly... And.. am so surprised that this is still here.. let alone people actually responded to it, well after I was "dead" (exojjl)

I am also pleased because I had this saved on my hard drive...before it blew up.. So.. yay to old topics...

I am thinking of re-reading my thoughts in full, and rethinking the song, now that it's just under a year later, and my perception has changed quite a bit. Just to see what I think now...well.. I may do that...

:Edit::

I just noticed I had 69 posts when my other account fried...I think that's greatttt