PDA

View Full Version : music creation?

neochrist
02-25-2004, 09:41 AM
whats the best programs to create music on, and record music with, anyone also knwo the best way to record drums onto your computer.

elevate
02-25-2004, 10:12 AM
The "best" program is the one you feel works best. I use Sonic Foundry...err...Sony Vegas as I happen to think its UI is incredibly intuitive.

The best way to record drums, depending on number of channels you want, would be to get a multichannel soundcard, a mixer, some mics, and something like Vegas (or Cubase, SONAR, Nuendo, Pro Tools, etc...). Really, some more info on what exactly it is you want to do would be helpful.

Matteran
02-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Elevate, you use Vegas? because isn't that mainly geared towards Video? Why not use the audio based products in the same family? Such as Sound Forge or Acid?

Personally I use all three. I use sound forge to record, eq, apply effects, and edit the sound. I use acid to dub and and do all that stuff. And vegas for video capturing and editing. I'm sure i could do all of it in like one of them... but i really like Sound Forge's UI better than Acid and Vegas (as they share similar UIs)

Schizophrenic
02-25-2004, 03:02 PM
I use Soundforge to record and piece my music together, it gets the job done fairly well.

elevate
02-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Elevate, you use Vegas? because isn't that mainly geared towards Video? Why not use the audio based products in the same family? Such as Sound Forge or Acid?
Vegas started out as an audio app. I think version 3 is when they added video to it, but regardless, they still develop audio features in it, and now that Sony owns it, it looks like there will be a renewed interest in packing in even more audio features. Sound Forge is only a stereo wave editor, and I do use it quite a bit, but it by no means is a substitute for a multitrack app. Acid is kinda like Vegas-light and doesn't allow for recording more than one track at once. Off the top of my head, the only things in Acid that aren't in Vegas are MIDI sequencing (which sucks in Acid), and VST support (which can be attained through a DX-VST wrapper).
I use Soundforge to record and piece my music together, it gets the job done fairly well.
You should try a multitrack app - it'll open your eyes to a whole new realm of possibilities.

The_Naked_Stalk
02-25-2004, 05:02 PM
I use Cakewalk. I like the clarity and it's incredibly easy to use.

Matteran
02-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Can you Reccomend some programs?

acid or vegas... made by the same people as sound forge

elevate
02-25-2004, 09:29 PM
If you've used Acid, then you're going to find Vegas' interface completely familiar. The 'alternative interface' is what you'd find on most other big-name audio apps - Cubase, SONAR, Nuendo, Pro Tools, etc..., which all tend to try to emulate the look/feel of the conventional studio mechanisms whose functions those apps mimic. Some people prefer that type of UI, I however don't, but you may want to check them out, for posterity's sake.