PDA

View Full Version : Pine away

AllforUnity
02-19-2004, 12:23 PM
I'm going to give my own interpretation of this song. Before I begin, a reminder: this is the way I think, my theory/belief/thoughts…you don't have to think the same.

This song is my favorite on the CD. It is very deep, and meaningful, it has a pretty straight forward message…but I'm not totally sure about the whole song. Like I think about most of the songs on this CD, this song is about growing as a person, and as one mind.

First verse:

I have come curiously close to the end, down
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole,
Defeated, I concede and
Move closer
I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness
How pitiful

This first verse of the song is discussing the first part of life. See…when you live life, you pretty much live in your own little world, therefore, nothing is new to you, so you don't have to deal with that kind of stuff. A lot of people have things wrong with them, and come close to the end in life, in their self-indulgent (not wanting to think outside your world) pitiful hole (your life). Also, a lot of us are defeated by life…hence why people commit suicide. But we still have some hope, some dream that this place with someday be comfortable enough to withstand. But we're all still empty, and pitiful.

It's calling me…

This line means a new way of living is calling toward you. Because you're getting sick of the old ways…so you're searching for new.

Next verse:

And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping
The moon tells me a secret - my confidant
As full and bright as I am
This light is not my own and
A million light reflections pass over me

I don't think this is necessarily talking about the moon telling you a secret…of course, l think it's a metaphor for something else. This verse is saying how even when we're in our darkest moment, and broken down, and think there's nothing left to do in life…there is always something that can brighten us up, even if it's not our own light, there's always something there that can make it all worth living again.

Next Verse:

Its source is bright and endless
She resuscitates the hopeless
Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting
And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt
Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism.
I must crucify the ego before it's far too late
I pray the light lifts me out
Before I pine away.

I think "she" is just one way of saying that thing that motivates us. And after you live this life of greed, narcissism, animosity…and so on…you can "pull your head out" and realize that you don't want to be there again…you become a true thinker, and analyzer, and you don't want to be in that place again. I love the line "l must crucify the ego before it's far too late." Because if you think about it, that line is so true…people with a lot of ego and stuff end up suffering more in the future. "I pray the lights lift me out before l pine away." This is talking about that special thing again that motivates you…I pray the light will someday lift us all out of our own little worlds, before we pine away.

Next verse:

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
before we pine away.

"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical"
This again is talking about that place you should want to leave. You need to kill, and get ride of those things in your thoughts. You shouldn’t be close/narrow minded, or racist, or hate anyone…or anything. I guess it's like Buddhism in a way, or something. That is what "And you will come to find that we are all one mind" means, it's talking about all races, colors, people…we're all the same, and we should treat each other all the same. So let these things take control, and let the words of wisdom pass through you…listen, and bring out your hope and reason, before you pine away…

This is my favorite song on the CD…it leaves such a good message.

Pine away…enjoy.

AllforUnity
02-19-2004, 01:07 PM
When do you think TOOL's next album will come out? Anyone have any ideas?

myownidentity
02-21-2004, 12:54 AM
I recon the new tool album would be out early next year. ARG, hurry up!

g-bay-be
02-21-2004, 09:06 PM
It will be out some time in 2005 i hope. and About your interpretation. i thought it was a little Vague. I dont really agree. It is to general. It more of repeated the words. I think you are on the edge of jumping into the deep end of the pool. but you can explore the depth of the word a little farther. I like your interpretation in all. but i think you should be a little more descriptive of how you REALLY feel about the song. and how the words move you

corps d'allumen
03-06-2004, 11:54 PM
I like your explanation. Now go back and fill your story in with the other albums and you'll really be on the right track...
also, at the end of the first verse, ever notice that it sounds like it says 'coming for me' overtop of 'how pitiful.' thematically that was very powerful to me; it almost insinuates that all that pain was inflicted on purpose, or at the least that it was known it was inevitably going to happen. food for thought...