PDA

View Full Version : l don't feel a thing at all.

AllforUnity
02-19-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm going to give my own interpretation of this song. Before I begin, a reminder: this is the way I think, my theory/belief/thoughts…you don't have to think the same. But feel free to tell me yours.

I think this song goes a bit deeper than everyone thinks…

First verse:
Something has to change.
Un-deniable dilemma.
Boredom's not a burden
Anyone should bear.

I think this verse is some-what self explanatory. I think it means he's bored with life, and he doesn't want to bare it any longer.

Next verse:

Constant over stimulation numbs me
and I wouldn't have
It any other way.

When your body is over stimulated, when it has to do with anything, it's a good feeling of body and mind, so you most likely wouldn't want it (wouldn't have it) any other way.

Next verse:

It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

A lot of times when you get something really want, after you have it, you don't really want it as much anymore…people are always searching for more satisfaction out of life, no matter what it has to deal with.

Next verse:

Finger deep within the borderline.
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Relax, turn around and take my hand.

I think this part of the song is a little deeper than the obvious…I don't think it means to literally put your finger somewhere…or in something. I think this just means that you're pushing the borders or something. When it has to do with someone else, a lot of the time when you want to try something new, or something, people will say "if you love me you'll do it." Maybe this is portraying that in a way…show me that you love me and that we belong together…I think this could be we're pushing things too far, maybe too fast…but if you love me you'll be ok with it…so just relax. You know?

Next verse:

I can help you change
Tired moments into pleasure.
Say the word and we'll be
Well upon our way.
Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you
Till you will not have me any other way.

I think these lines ARE some-what self explanatory. I think by saying "l can help you change tired moments into pleasure." He's saying that he wants to help change…not only he will, he wants to. Kind of like when you want to be there for your best friend, in a way. As I said before, even when you have something great you want it to be better, always…so you blend, and try to balance out your pain and comfort, until you feel like you've molded that person into who you see fit to be perfect…and not just a person, but anything in life.

Next verse not discussed:

Knuckle deep inside the borderline.
This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to.
Relax. Slip away.

I love this line. Again, I see this as maybe trying to push things beyond the limit…and it first, it could hurt that person, or whatever it is, even if it's you…at first it's going to hurt a little, or require some getting-used-to…but you'll always get used to it…so relax, until you slip away.

Next Verse:

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?

Sometimes things DON'T work out exactly the way you want them…that "perfect" thing or person, isn't exactly the perfect you thought it would be, or wanted it to be…so things become different…you, and, or that person/thing becomes desensitized to everything. Just like the lyrics say…"What became of subtlety?" is asking what becomes of the subtle attitude you once had…because it disappears.

Next Verse:

How can it mean anything to me
If I really don't feel anything at all?
I'll keep digging till
I feel something.

This is my favorite part of the song. The part above means that people try to convince themselves they're ok, when something bad happens…they try to act like they don't feel a thing at all…I like this part so much, because I know I do it all the time. Everyone does it all the time. If we're hurt by something, we just try to block it out and not care anymore…so I love this part…but we keep digging for new things/old things to heal our wounds again. We search in ourselves for that one thing that will take us away…for good.

Elbow deep inside the borderline.
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Shoulder deep within the borderline.
Relax. Turn around and take my hand.

Then in the end…you want to go back to that thing that made you happy in the first place…it's so damn true. I'm doing the same thing right now with my ex-girlfriend…oh Maynard, thank you.

Enjoy…

Metamorphosis
02-24-2004, 12:54 AM
yes very cool. your idea is very similar to mine (and i bet everyone elses) except that my idea is a lot more specific and spiritual.

Espionage
03-10-2004, 01:01 AM
Musically and lyrically, Stinkfist has always been my favorite tool song. i think that people under-rate it so much

INNER_STRUGGLE
03-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Musically and lyrically, Stinkfist has always been my favorite tool song. i think that people under-rate it so much

I agree completely. To question the top part. I believe in the "if you love me you will do this." But then why would he contradic himself in the next verse with wanting to be there for someone? Is pleasure and satisfaction the only thing he is looking for? If it is I believe it's more of a spiritual satisfaction.

DistortedxUnity
03-16-2004, 09:12 AM
yes very cool. your idea is very similar to mine (and i bet everyone elses) except that my idea is a lot more specific and spiritual.

Not really, I have a very different view.... I hate to type long posts, so here it is...
The song Stinkfist is a musical metaphor for the desensitization people go through over the years. For example, everyone was upset when Elvis got his groove on, but not 10 years later worse was happening on TV. People of that time freaked out about it at first, but eventually adapted to it ( This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to...), until they needed more to satify themselves, to push the envelope a little more (Finger/elbow/shoulder deep within the borderline...). I'm a little too tired to write more... but I hope this is enough to get your minds going on a different view of this kick-ass song.

DistortedxUnity

naked_but_oblivious
03-17-2004, 04:21 PM
i agree w/both of you. i think the video for this song help with the understanding of it.

when i think about this song i always think of people that sit and watch tv all day or something similar to that. they have become desensitized. they sit and watch brutal murders and things like that all day to the point where they really wouldnt be affected if they saw it in real life.

the pushing through the border line is, imo, the process of trying to be educated. you get more and more educated, more aware you your surroundings, and farther through the border line.

thats what i think

Luna Galapogos
03-18-2004, 11:34 AM
"I don't feel a thing at all"
Just keep digging until you find something. Anything that will give you a little piece of mind. Something that will make living on this earth worth while. You can't find what you want unless you dig all the way in, until nothing shocks you. You can realize so many more realities for your mind if you don't let yourself sit complacently around on the surface of life and society.

"If nothing else kills you, breathing will."

AllforUnity
03-19-2004, 03:00 AM
lf nothing else kills you...buy a gun.

Luna Galapogos
03-19-2004, 09:26 AM
lf nothing else kills you...buy a gun.

That won't necessarily kill you, you might shoot part of your brain with named gun, and the impair your ability to say, move. A gun isn't necessarily the answer. Besides, suicide is a really selfish thing to do in my opinion.

Hakarune
03-19-2004, 09:53 AM
I agree Scuicide is a very selfish thing to do. So just "acidentaly" breathe in toxic poisons for a long period of time in closed quarters. (Joking by the way).

P.S. I'm an idiot that deserve the time of day, and not matter how selfish I think suicide is, I'm tempted to do it because I'm a hypocrite. In fact, I hate tool, I think that they suck.

drummer3331
03-25-2004, 08:21 AM
I always saw "Stinkfist" as a personal relationship and addiction with drugs. It starts off by saying "boredom is not a burden anyone should bear," a line I often use to justify drugs. As the song progresses, he senses his growing addiction and questions why he even does it when he can't feel anything at all. Another interesting part is the gradual progression of his knuckle being consumed slowly to his finger, but then as the addicition takes him, his elbow and shoulder are consumed almost immediately. These are just some observations I had. Truthfully, until I got on this site, that is what I thought the song was supposed to be about.

Hakarune
04-15-2004, 02:34 PM
I don't hate tool and that whole P.S. isn't from me, my friend was being funny and I don't know how to edit it sorry.

AllforUnity
04-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Yeah. Suicide is a pretty damn selfish thing to do. l thought about it once, and then l thought about how my friends and family would feel. Mainly my little brother. My 8 year old brother. How would he feel knowing his big brother, the person he looks up to, was to weak to live so he killed himself? l don't think that would be a very good thing for an 8 year old to go through.

g-bay-be
04-16-2004, 08:50 PM
sigh your ideas dont match up to mine. heres a brief crash course on what i think. ready... the world specifically the untied states is desensitzed and numb to everything. Death is no longer a scary thing to see on tv. Now a days we have show where at least One person dies. (CSI, Law and order... ext ext) sex is no longer as exciting as it used to be. Now we need to have 8 different positions and go at it for 3 hours for it to be "good." everyone young man has seen a pics of naked girls by the time he hit 5th grade. this ties into the finger deep within the border line. at first it used to be a little. but now a days we need the whole arm to feel good! how odd huh! and then my favorite line "what ever became of subletly." Subletlty is gone from everything. Now a days for people to understand thing you have to hit him over the head with it. for people to understand that a couple on tv is a couple they have to show them in bed together! subletly is gone.

eclipse13
07-30-2004, 09:38 PM
I think I could agree with everyone so far. I love hearing the different ways people translate a song. I love the fact that you could look at a song so many ways and it still makes sense. Thus the reason i love tool.

AllforUnity
10-27-2004, 09:27 AM
l don't really agree with everything l posted anymore. l'll have to go back and change them all after all of the studying and reading l've done.