PDA

View Full Version : Warbbled words?

Undertolerance
02-18-2004, 09:28 PM
I am posing this a question to get some feedback. I was wondering how you all would think that Maynard messes with the vocals at about 1:46 through about 1:50 into the song. Cause he sort "warbbles" the word, which is the best way that I can think of to put it. Now the best and simplest way that I can figure is actually wiggle your finger in your lips. Just try it, sing whole and towards the end start to wiggle your finger in your lips. It makes the same noise if done right. So is it human manipulation, machine, or something else all together?

AllforUnity
02-19-2004, 07:45 AM
l'm not exactly sure what it is. l think you might be hearing a certain way something else is in the song...a weird chord on the the guitar maybe? Hmm...l'll have to take a closer look. l'm not cerious.

ÆnimaticEnigma
03-10-2004, 03:53 AM
Sounds like Flanger on the voice to me... Flangers an effect used for guitars, you hear it in the interlude in Schism

AllforUnity
03-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Yeah. That sounds about right to me.

Undertolerance
03-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Well those are interesting thoughts, however I still contend that it is him fucking with his vocals. Due to the fact that I have never an instrument make a sound like that.

jdub420
07-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Well those are interesting thoughts, however I still contend that it is him fucking with his vocals. Due to the fact that I have never an instrument make a sound like that.
its not a instrument it is an effect like a footpedal or something. it was most likely done in pro tools and it is a quick shallow flange

forth eye
08-07-2004, 05:55 AM
ye even though it is mainly used on guitar it can be used on vocals too. ill check it out and see what i think.

forth eye
08-07-2004, 05:57 AM
ye i see what you mean. it is kinda flanger-ish but im not sure. it does not last very long so it is a bit hard to tell. it sounds like a bit of tremolo too or something.

Undertolerance
08-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Hmmm.... Just sorta makes you wonder what it is, although as I have said the finger issue is the best way that I can replicate the noise. Back in my band days I used to mess with lyrics in fun ways, rubbing my adam's apple was one way in which to do this. As well as much other more creative things, all of which where done with the aid of electronic manipulation. Seeing as how we always played live and never maid any recorded singles so that it much easier, that and we all didn't have nearly wnough money to get fancy pants shit. Just the basics.

radmanics
08-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Undertolerance, you should check out some live vids of At the Drive In... he's got a pedel set any guitarist would be proud of he's always punching off and on during songs.. And of course, people like to use megaphones to distort their voice..

Maynard does do weird shit to get the noises out though.. I think he smacks his chest to make the "oHoH" noisein Ænema - that's what he appears to do on bootlegs.