PDA

View Full Version : can drugs help your mind?

forty6n2
02-17-2004, 11:11 PM
obviously certain drugs can have a very negative impact on your brain over time but i want to know if they can help the mind. ive noticed some of the most brilliant thoughts to come out of my mouth have been processed when im high. what i am looking for is for someone that maybe knows some resources of information on what drugs can do to a humans whole thought process and what drugs maybe increase blood flow to the brain and all that. also i want some detailed information on psychadelics and what they can do for your mind. ive done shrooms twice and the first time was a huge spiritual experience for me. when i smoke weed i start thinking about philosophy and how things work and it really helps me to understand what this life we share is all about.

basically i would like some people to share some stories of cool highs and cool thoughts while high and get some information on the interactions of drugs and the human mind.

Stalkz
02-18-2004, 12:07 AM
There's a thread about this in the spirituality/philosophy forum somehwere, you should read it it may answer some questions.

AllforUnity
02-19-2004, 01:05 PM
l'm sure there are SOME drugs that could stimulate your mind, in some way.

imtheism
03-01-2004, 11:14 PM
there is drugs that can stimulate your mind, but they aren't recreational drugs. The whole point of recreational drugs is to disturb or alter your state of consciousness. Thats why they're 'fun'. Your brain doesn't like that, and its just kinda inherently bad for your brain, no matter what it is.

Suso22
03-02-2004, 05:44 AM
There are lots of ways to change your consciousness and be intellectually inspired that have nothing to do with taking drugs. For example, reading a book on philosiphy will stimulate your mind as well as give different perspectives on life.

LthirdSeyeD
03-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Check out Erowid.org they have the best website I have ever seen about every drug known to man, and what drugs can do for your mind. They also have things on religon and meditation.

rep
03-12-2004, 04:53 PM
I would say I know more about drugs and altered states of being more then anything else. I’ve done everyone that was available except DMT and regret not taking that pull.

Not that this knowledge is a good thing, especially where I am in my life right now.

But psychedelics undoubtedly have the potential to “open” one’s mind. I remember my friends and I when we started taking lsd. We used it just to laugh and have a good time, but eventually, the conversations turned from the normal bullshitting around to serious discussions of the universe and all that’s in it. There is no way someone can even imagine what’s it like to think on that level without the drugs, and the conceptions you can grasp are so far from the humans normal interpretation of life. I go to raves. When I first started, I didn’t know what it was about. I saw people smiling and having fun and just opening up to one another. Until I took ecstasy, I didn’t know what they knew. I didn’t know you could really walk up to a complete stranger and hug them like they were some kindred soul on the same mystic path of life, rather than just some other person. When I came down, of course I didn’t feel like I did when I was peaking, but I could not unknown what I had learned and all the possibilities I felt. I consider that a good thing that drugs brought to me. As much as I took drugs to enjoy the feeling, I took them to see where they would take me. For years. I would say I only regret taking the drugs that are pure escape and hold no value when it comes to expanding one’s views.

In all my drug taking, I would say nothing brought me further than MDMA along with some ketamine. There were times when it all made sense. Existence, life, God. Man, I miss those days. Well, maybe in the next life.

Triangular_Vision
06-12-2004, 02:49 PM
There are lots of ways to change your consciousness and be intellectually inspired that have nothing to do with taking drugs. For example, reading a book on philosiphy will stimulate your mind as well as give different perspectives on life.

i agree completely aside from those who do are so lost in reality they cannot concieve that of which has not been spoon fed to them by authority. Sometimes a single trip can be a life changing experiance and the user will not need to "trip" ever again. Then there are those like myself who preferr both sides. The only drugs that ever enter my body are Mushrooms, LSD, and marijuana. As far as the shrooms and lsd go, i do not use them but on rare occasions, and i prepare for days in advance my thoughts and feelings. If taken too much, these drugs can definately inhibit your ability to follow the quest for knowlege, but at the same time they can surely help as well.

Et in Arcadia Ego
06-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Lot of good comments flowing here...

But seriously, might be an idea to check out the Self Medication section...

The Tool Page: Opinion >> Interact >> Discussion >> Philosophy >> Self-Medication

There's always some good discussion going on there...
I can't think of a better moment when passing around the bong and having some nice music going... It brings you closer, (than dying and children and crying) and it makes you understand or connect with the "feel" of the music...
There you go, that's a freebie... I typed it a couple of minutes ago...

Raev'n
06-13-2004, 01:49 PM
I can't say I've ever taken drugs and listened to Tool at the same time. I meditate though and usually it's when I'm listening to Tool. It's like a psychedelic experience :-)

Triangular_Vision
06-13-2004, 07:13 PM
I can't say I've ever taken drugs and listened to Tool at the same time. I meditate though and usually it's when I'm listening to Tool. It's like a psychedelic experience :-)

LIKE a psychedelic experiance???

Gillian
08-10-2004, 11:19 AM
i find SOME drugs do make me think more but NOT all!! hehe.....but i think of kick ass song lyrics & poems & shit when im high....drugs do, do good things for us!!

Rhymeandreason
09-02-2004, 11:32 PM
I do think that drugs can help you think deeper and experiences regular activies and find things so much more interesting or more lifelike about them. I use marijuana, only, and I find what it does is allow me to see these truths, not conjure them.

Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
09-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Every time i do pot it's like my mind opens up alot then when i sober up it closes again, and the problem is that it feels more closed than before i smoked the pot. I really dont want to be burnt

Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
09-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Keep in mind, thease are just thoughts.
What if religion (christianity) was made to control people.
EX: Death isn't a bad thing. The point of life is to be positive and live a long full life, die, then start a new life. How "good", or enjoyable you'r next life is, is determined on how you lived your last one. Like being respectful, not ending lives that have no reason to be ended, things like that.

Now think about this;
There are two types of people.
1 - thinks independently, generally believes in everything i'm saying now.
2- Christian fundamentalist. Believes if you say "fuck jesus" (and dont mean it, your just saying something which in reality has no effect one anything in our past life. well, thats what i believe anyway) that you'r going straight to hell.

Now think about this, Type two has created the thought of hell (with satan and fire and stuff) to prevent people from turning into type one people, and thinking for them selves and opening their minds to knew perspectives on life. They try and make you think that if you do certain things or rebel that your going to hell. This allows them to control you.

A more realistic version of hell, would be that your next life sucks, or maybe that your suspended from life, and your a ghost (and that could be where ghosts come from....)
So you do need to be "good" to avoid hell, but hell isn't what christianity has tought you to believe...
Think about how many people are afraid of the fact that there goign to die someday, when really they should embrace it, because death is a good thing. It's a new life. It's just another experience, like having an orgasm, or taking a shit.

Now, if you think this is shit, keep in mind that i'm 14. And if you think this is good, and maybe if your against drugs, guess what? i was stoned out of my mind when i wrote this down. Maybe it doesn't make as much sense now, and maybe i dont have as much faith in thease thoughts, but when i was high, it was like this was the answer to life. It was amazing.

I also posted this on a interpretation for parabol/a, because i felt it should be there too.

Pharmaecopia_stinkfist
09-09-2004, 05:26 PM
why doesn't anyone have anything to say =(

SmallWangedMan
09-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Drugs aren't going to improve your brain physically or medically, obviously, but they can provide you with eye-opening experiences that you probably wouldn't get otherwise. But it depends on the scenario. Staying high on pot all day so that you think more stuff is funny is one thing, doing a couple few hits of LSD and leaving reality entirely is another. So, in a sense, yes they can.

Triangular_Vision
09-10-2004, 08:32 AM
the idea is to use drugs as a catalyst... something to take you somewhere. Then... the idea is to spend how ever long it takes to get that "feeling" again without the drugs... (and no i dont mean getting fucked up for free) as it wasn't the drug that is directly causing this anyway... the mind is its own drug. The first time i tripped on shrooms, i spent the entire time in the grass on my ass, fingers in the dirt breathing with the earth, i felt more alert the less aware my body was of my enviorment... after some time it felt as if my body was not needed at all in this lucid state. I drifted around my immediate location seeing and experiancing everything as if it were with my body only much more vivid than i had ever seen... but i could see myself, eyes closed, and breathing very slowly on the ground, just as i had left myself. Soon after i decided to float up and i left this world entrirely into a world of pure white (there was more in just breathing there than i could ever concieve or imagine... Ever since then, the things that i learned about myself (and the world in turn) were never forgotten. Ive tripped many times since, but recently i have found no need for drugs at all. I fully encourage experimentation but not exageration. Be careful, fire can keep u warm, but it can burn too. mmm reflection.

johnnyTrip
09-16-2004, 10:40 AM
obviously certain drugs can have a very negative impact on your brain over time but i want to know if they can help the mind. ive noticed some of the most brilliant thoughts to come out of my mouth have been processed when im high. what i am looking for is for someone that maybe knows some resources of information on what drugs can do to a humans whole thought process and what drugs maybe increase blood flow to the brain and all that. also i want some detailed information on psychadelics and what they can do for your mind. ive done shrooms twice and the first time was a huge spiritual experience for me. when i smoke weed i start thinking about philosophy and how things work and it really helps me to understand what this life we share is all about.

basically i would like some people to share some stories of cool highs and cool thoughts while high and get some information on the interactions of drugs and the human mind.
This is a good place to start your research... http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/index.html

NOeggs23
09-16-2004, 06:35 PM
i didnt read this...but drugs are great and nessecary to open yur mind to new possiblilties. Not coke or heroin. But shrooms, weed, and acid take u places and show u things and make u a peaceful person if taken in the right state of mind.

Cyanide ChrYst
09-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Drugs are just magnifying glasses for what is already there. IE, the daily confines of the mind are often lifted when psychoactives (generally hallucinogens/dissociatives) are used. Drugs dont provide you with any information; it's already inside of your head. There merely show you what you can't normally see.

Triangular_Vision
09-17-2004, 04:20 AM
agreed

Cyanide ChrYst
09-17-2004, 08:58 AM
Yes, yes. And I agree with your agreement.

NOeggs23
09-19-2004, 05:11 PM
yeah...it opens yur mind.

good shit.

Triangular_Vision
09-21-2004, 08:26 AM
anyone ever heard of LSA? its found in morning glory seeds, and on the fungus of toothpaste that has been allowed to sit on an orange peel for 2 weeks. It is the closest relative of lsd and will make you trip. You have to eat at least 250 of the morning glory seeds though... kind of gross.

Cyanide ChrYst
09-21-2004, 04:09 PM
I have done LSA numerous times. You make a drink (if you consider it that) with the seeds. And it's more like 500 if you want any visuals at all. It makes you pretty sick at first and isnt fun at all...thats why its not used recreationally often.

I, however, am growing a Salvia Divinorum. Pictures available through AIM. It is beautiful.

Triangular_Vision
09-22-2004, 09:03 AM
How do you process the Salvia? I buy it in the 24x form.

Cyanide ChrYst
09-22-2004, 09:04 AM
I dont process it. I've tried 5x and 20x, and both are lovely but I've had bad experiences on both. I decided that I needed to earn this and grow a plant my own.

Triangular_Vision
09-22-2004, 09:14 AM
its a good idea to grow it yourself, that kind of security definately helps you move through psychological barriers or sub-conscious fears. It seems to get you stuck in-between dimensions or something. Ive only done about 5 sessions and almost all the exeriences were not unpleasent, but not a good feeling either. Very, very wierd stuff. Why were your experiences unpleasent?

Cyanide ChrYst
09-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Because I'd feel torn in half physically or just uncomfortable like im going to throw up. I lost my ability to do drugs when the girl i loved left me. i developed anxiety and I have it constantly.

Triangular_Vision
09-22-2004, 08:19 PM
mmm, anxiety is not a good mix with psychoactives... ive had the uneasy stomach before, but never any sort of physical distortion to that effect.

I had a friend that i was tripping on shrooms with for the first time, who told me that he had tripped before. Taking his word on this, i let him munch down about 5 grams of hydroponic shrooms. (about the same amount that i was taking) He later frieked out and thought we were dead. As the night progressed he developed into a blubbering blob of crying flesh that seemed to be bleeding from every pore. He was convinced that he was constantly being torn apart. At that point, he had frieked me out bad enough to go into a spiritual rebirth after i had run a quarter mile into the woods chasing "the light." Damn anxiety.

clown137
09-27-2004, 04:37 PM
just to comment on drugs and tools music, when i ate magic mushrooms and listened to lateralus i was pretty sure maynard was telling me things that a older soul should be telling to a young soul, and its alot easier to grasp when your perception of life is completly different for at least a little while.

Cyanide ChrYst
09-27-2004, 07:13 PM
I'm sick of explaining salvia to people. You need to read up on it at http://www.erowid.org/

Salvia can be obtained ANYWHERE online. Type in the word at yahoo.

Salvia's psychoactive compound, Salvinorin A, has a melting point of like 900 degrees. EG, normal lighters don't do shit for it. You have to have a torch lighter or butane lighter, and hold it on constantly.

Also you need to hold the *enormous* hit in as long as possible, then take your next rip equally fast and hard. Salvinorin's half-life is like 3 seconds. By the time it gets to your lips 90% of it is useless.

And if you used it with a bong, go to your room and hang yourself for being a dumbass.

*kisses*

Triangular_Vision
09-29-2004, 06:12 PM
that could explain the lack of effects from anything less than 12x... lighters.... who knew. Thanks man.

5-MeO-AmT
11-13-2004, 05:23 PM
MMmMmMMM.

Analyze that.

Cyanide ChrYst
11-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Anyone who needs extensive, neutral and researched information (and personal experience) about Salvia Divinorum, my AIM screen name is MyCyanideChrYst.

Guys, the fact is, Salvinorin A's evaporating point is just higher than THC. You're WASTING most of it if you smoke with a regular lighter.

arman
11-24-2004, 06:32 AM
in response to what Pharmecopiastinkfist said,
The true christian does not believe that saying "fuck jesus" will send you to hell immediately, it is inherently bad to say that, but a single action will not send you to hell. The christian belief is that in not accepting the saving Grace of God, through the death and resurrection of Jesus, and not trusting him to be your savior, and not living your life to Glorify Him then you will be condemned to hell. Hell not being a fiery pit (until the end of the world when satan and the demons are cast into the lake of fire) but instead being eternal separation from God, which is a much worse sentence than any heat or fire.

For the most part the Fundamentalist Christians shouldn't be trusted, because they are of the belief that saying "fuck jesus" will condemn you to hell (i don't believe this, but i wouldn't think it good to go out screaming it at the top of your lungs). My main problem with society today is that people don't give everything enough chance, they find the one thing they think is right and then shut everything out. I've explored (not as deeply as i would like, but am still exploring) many different belief systems just to see what makes sense, and which is true. ANd i am convinced that the christian belief (not the screwed up one preached by the "fundamentalists") in a relationship with God, the creator of the universe, is right.

and so, i lie in wait for those who will deride me for this...flame on (who doesn't love the fantastic four?)

~arman

Triangular_Vision
12-19-2004, 09:51 PM
are you saying to smoke it from just a pipe? are there any stores i could get it at? if so, what is the quality?

you can pick up several different strengths from most head shops such as Planet K. They range from 2x to 24x. And the temperature of the flame is important as Chryst said, it lowers the amount that you have to smoke for the effects considerably.