PDA

View Full Version : Old School Stinkfist

Andy DV
11-19-2002, 05:39 PM
While doing my nightly scower for live TOOL on the internet, I stumbled upon an AMAZING older version of Stinkfist. Not only is it one of the only live videos I've seen with Paul on bass, but during the "Something kinda sad about..." portion, different lyrics are used and the singing is as powerful and impactful as I've ever heard from Maynard. IF ANYONE IS AWARE OF WHAT THESE LYRICS ARE, PLEASE POST. Let me know what you think of this terrific version. This is the third version of Stinkfist I've heard, the others being from the album of course and the most recent concert version. If you've seen them in concert in the last year, you know what I'm talking about. If there's one thing I love about TOOL (There's a lot more than one), it's there ability to experiment with their songs.

Changing Skin
11-19-2002, 09:32 PM
i'm glad you liked what you heard, i personally think that original version is by far better then the one recorded in the album... even though it's just 6 lines of words, they just sound so amazing... anything this band does blows my mind.

anyway, here's what i think they are... but check that board, and post on what you think they are if you came up with you own

Something's Kinda Crawling Inside
i ... with me
... cozy and bound
... from me
Something's shoved deep inside

now for this next line, i get stuck with hearing 3 different things...

you don't do need nothing
or
you don't do live nothing
or
You know you hear nothing

also don't forget to check the video for prison sex, that's got some stuff too

and on a side note, i also have eulogy and push it from that same 95 show... push it is pretty different on the vocal melodies then what's on the CD although the lyrics are the same, so it's really awesome to see the progression, alot like what we go through in my own band.

Suislide
11-20-2002, 03:54 AM
holyshit that live version is badass

wish i could have been there.

Here's what i interpereted::

Something kind of crawling inside;
Hiding here away from me;
Some kind of cozy and bound;
Another day taken from me;
Something shouting and died;
You know you hear nothing;
Will you hear a thing at all?

I'll keep digging
Till I feel something

Elbow deep within the border line;
show.me.that.you.love.me.and.that.we.belong.togeth er

Shoulder deep within the border line;
Relax, turn around and take my hand.

---------------------------------------------

overanalyticality will save and connect us

Suislide
11-20-2002, 04:01 AM
Although:

something shoved deep inside

fits more than

something shouting and died

fella
11-23-2002, 10:09 AM
It is strange that the old version has more of an impact with people than the current version. I found his voice to be much more emotional in this lost version.

I can't seem to think of any reason for them to change it. Perhaps it had to do with Paul leaving?

Changing Skin
11-25-2002, 10:57 AM
i don't know why they changed it, but being in the music industry myself, i know how things can get once a producer get his hands on your stuff

but i definatly agree, the emotion on that original song was much better then the recorded version

hoponop
12-06-2002, 03:46 PM
It sounds like he's saying:

Finger deep inside the bordeline
Im not sure that we belong together

Maybe Im imagining it, but you never know, and it kinda fits too! Really like this original version btw.