PDA

View Full Version : I new Maynard as a kid in Ohio....this is the real meaning.

Pythagoras
02-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Well....I was raised in a strict Southern Baptist home. Maynard was raised in a strict Southern Baptist home. Southern Baptists have a relentless conviction for bringing others to Christ through personal salvation. If you're the rebellious child in a strong Southern Baptist home, then you're parents only goal in life is to bring you through your trials and tribulations back to salvation in Jesus Christ. This at times can be sooo overbearing, and for me atleast, is the source of my biggest inner struggle. Maybe it was Maynard's too....probably not. Anyway, for me this song is a visualization of this struggle with themes of healing relationships.

WHAT'S COMING THROUGH IS ALIVE.
I'm not sure

WHAT'S HOLDING UP IS A MIRROR.
Period of reflection on one's life. For me, my parents hold the mirror.

BUT WHAT'S SINGING SONGS IS A SNAKE LOOKING TO TURN MY PISS TO WINE.
I'm looking in the mirror, but what I see is evil. I have renounced the faith that my parents instilled in me. I have brought shame to the family in their eyes. My thoughts (or songs), as I gaze in the mirror, are of guilt and hatred and fear. And I'm searching for a way to remain honest about my beliefs, yet heal my guilt and repair the image of my life in my parents eyes.

THEY'RE BOTH TOTALLY VOID OF HATE, BUT KILLING ME JUST THE SAME.
My parents honestly want salvation for my soul. They love me. I want forgiveness in their eyes, and I understand why they feel the way they do. But I'm torn because I can't ever honestly share their belief in salvation, yet I know I can't earn their full forgiveness until I do. We both have pure intentions, but its still painful.

THE SNAKE BEHIND ME HISSES WHAT MY DAMAGE COULD HAVE BEEN.
Sometimes, during periods of rebellious thinking, I rationalize my mistakes by thinking that things could be much worse. Distracting me from how bad things really are.

MY BLOOD BEFORE ME BEGS ME OPEN UP MY HEART AGAIN.
My parents literally beg me to renew my past faith and open up my heart to Jesus Christ again.

AND I FEEL THIS COMING OVER LIKE A STORM AGAIN....CONSIDERATELY
We've had heated arguements in the past, but now one of us will maybe make a comment to the other and then we more or less drop it. So, we end up holding our thoughts about each other inside, out of consideration for the other, but it is inevitible. And now one of us has probably offended the other. The tension between myself and my parents is building. We're going to argue about it soon.

VENEMOUS VOICE TEMPTS ME, DRAINS ME, BLEEDS ME, LEAVES ME CRACKED AND EMPTY. DRAGS ME DOWN LIKE SOME SWEET GRAVITY.
This arguement is painful for both myself and probably moreso for my parents. My heart hardens, and I defend my beliefs and actions and am tempted to push their buttons and say things I always regret. It leaves me feeling hurt and guilty and spiteful and hopeless and frustrated and exhausted. Why can't I just give in? The snake within me always drags me back down...relentlessly.

I AM TOO CONNECTED TO YOU TO SLIP AWAY, TO FADE AWAY. DAYS AWAY I STILL FEEL YOU TOUCHING ME, CHANGING ME, AND CONSIDERATELY KILLING ME.
They are my blood. I can't just run away and disappear...though I have thought about it. No matter how far I go, I can still feel the guilt and I still know they're thoughts. I cannot escape their pleas for my salvation. Even if they were to die, I could not escape they're message for me.

WITHOUT THE SKIN, BENEATH THE STORM, UNDER THESE TEARS NOW, THE WALLS CAME DOWN.
As I look deep within myself, and search for meaning within my inner struggle, I let down my guard and honestly examine my dilema. I am so guilty and I must first forgive myself. It is so painful to admit that all of these things I have done over the years were taking me down the wrong road.

AND AS THE SNAKE IS DROWNED, AND AS I LOOK IN HIS EYES, MY FEAR BEGINS TO FADE...RECALLING ALL OF THOSE TIME I COULD HAVE CRIED. I SHOULD HAVE CRIED THEN.
As I begin the healing process, I am able to confront my sins. And as each sin is confronted and as I repent, I realize how many oppotunities I had to begin the healing process earlier.

RECALLING ALL OF THOSE TIMES I HAVE DIED, AND WILL DIE.
Referring to the healing process.

IT'S ALRIGHT. I DON'T MIND.
I'm not too sure....but that's alright, I don't mind.

ps: No, I didn't really know Maynard.

radmanics
02-16-2004, 05:33 PM
haha.. yeah well. Nice inturpriation. works well.

Cylith
03-01-2004, 09:36 AM
I liked the interpretation.

I'd like to say something about the ending, though. IMO: When Maynard yells "I don't mind!" he does it is such a way that you know he's really saying "I really fucking mind!"

AllforUnity
03-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Hey l really like your interpretation...that's logical, and plausible. Good job. Thanks for that.

Pythagoras
06-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Hey thanks guys....Good to see some of you guys saw things through my eyes for a second.....cool.. 8)

Cylith...I agree with you about the last line...the way he says "I don't mind".....makes me think the same thing....

Harold
06-14-2004, 03:17 AM
first of all, hi everyone, my first thread in tdn's forum, i'm newbie, so, please be gentle on me :/

hey pyth, great job, really insightful, although i saw one of the articles listed in this very site, maynard claims this song to be about his son Devo H..
maybe it was all being sarcastic, correct me if i'm wrong.

Raev'n
06-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Wow... That's kinda like what I went/am going through... In fact I'm about to leave homw because of it... I was raised in a very strict Catholic home and I broke free about 5 years ago when I was 12. And this would have to be one of my most favourite songs because it speaks to me like that... Thanks for putting all that into words... I was in the middle of it when I found this hehehe

Ming
06-17-2004, 08:45 AM
I heard this on the radio this very morning in the way to work. I like this interpretation. It holds water well and pleases me.

Liquid Ashes
07-15-2004, 02:47 PM
It matches up but I dont think that it is right.. good post though

ÆnimaticEnigma
07-28-2004, 08:30 PM
eh... not a bad interpretation, but it doesn't really hold water with me. i listened to it with your interpretation in mind, and it didn't seem to really spark anything.

and never say "this is the real meaning." EVEN if maynard said it was himself. that's what he intended, but it's only what you get out of it that is the "real" meaning to you... music is all opinion.