PDA

View Full Version : Update: New Music From Me

The_Naked_Stalk
02-12-2004, 08:58 AM
I found a better site for posting my music. You can hear a lot more of what I've worked on and soon my new project will be ready:

For all those interested here they are:

A Modest Proposal:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/amodestproposaltheotherone.htm

Syrin:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/syrin.htm

Phosophis:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/phosophismusic.htm

All critiques welcome.

Elgyn
02-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Damn...
You call that a better place for hosting music?

Add popups and a mandatory sign up?

I don't think so.

Hurter Vileslay
02-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Listened to some of the pieces

All the ones I heard were great
(forgot to rate them though)

Illl download them at college when I get round to it

dsl
02-15-2004, 11:38 AM
I like A Modest Proposal, thats really good. Syrin sounds good as well. Almost like Led Zeppelin's III album. And I mean that in a good way. Posophis not so much....

The_Naked_Stalk
02-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Damn...
You call that a better place for hosting music?

Add popups and a mandatory sign up?

I don't think so.

Agreed.

Just the fact that I get to put more stuff up. That's all. There's more music available to those that like my stuff.

Just thought that it would be great to hear critiques on more of my music. You guys were really honest and helpful. I just wanted to give everyone more of my work to critique.

Hurter Vileslay
02-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Is it me or do you like the word 'critique'???

Choler
02-16-2004, 10:21 AM
I just listened to A modest proposal, and mainly the monster song, Black.
This peice has a great beginning and build, you're drummer is a badass, the only thing I wasn't keen on was the guitar sound, I think it was a little too muddy, I think the treble should be turned up so it has more of a raw feel to it. The bass I think should play a stronger part within the song, I think the guitar should cut out sometimes leaving the bass and drums to play with eachother, ew. and then build back up with the guitar. You guys are excellent in shifting mood and doing transitions. On the second part, when the guitar solo begins that is my fav section, amazing musicianship. you guys are a very talented jam band, I dig your style. When I get a chance to listen to the other two bands I will, I was wondering if they are your bands or just friends? anyways keep up the great music.

The_Naked_Stalk
02-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Is it me or do you like the word 'critique'???

I just use the best word for the time. And by the by, thanks for letting me hear your thoughts.

The_Naked_Stalk
02-16-2004, 11:52 AM
I just listened to A modest proposal, and mainly the monster song, Black.
This peice has a great beginning and build, you're drummer is a badass, the only thing I wasn't keen on was the guitar sound, I think it was a little too muddy, I think the treble should be turned up so it has more of a raw feel to it. The bass I think should play a stronger part within the song, I think the guitar should cut out sometimes leaving the bass and drums to play with eachother, ew. and then build back up with the guitar. You guys are excellent in shifting mood and doing transitions. On the second part, when the guitar solo begins that is my fav section, amazing musicianship. you guys are a very talented jam band, I dig your style. When I get a chance to listen to the other two bands I will, I was wondering if they are your bands or just friends? anyways keep up the great music.

Thanks a lot, man. I totally agree with your suggestions. It would have really been fun to work with that song a more. Glad you liked the tunes. You're welcome to download and share or whatever with the music. Also, the interview will tell you a lot more about the band if you want to know other stuff that's not there ask away.

The other stuff are all projects that I was involved in. Phosophis isn't great, and I'm not sure anyone would really like it. I put it up just to be thorough. Syrin is very eclectic guitar music. It's ambient acoustic music. If that sounds like your bag, you'll probably dig it. Lots of textures and such. Many of the songs have 20-40 overdubs.

reddish
02-17-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm going to listen to some of this eventually, so I decided to bump this thread up so I wouldn't have to scroll way down the page to find it. Please ignore this post.

dsl
02-18-2004, 12:57 AM
Many of the songs have 20-40 overdubs.

That's one of things I really like about Syrin. Almost like how the Smashing Pumpkins used to have dozens of overdubs. A really great sound to it.

Jebus
02-18-2004, 05:05 AM
yeah...i'm on dial up so streaming doesn't work real good for me. and you have to be a member to download. perhaps some other time, or is there somewhere else that some of these can be found?

The_Naked_Stalk
02-18-2004, 06:01 AM
yeah...i'm on dial up so streaming doesn't work real good for me. and you have to be a member to download. perhaps some other time, or is there somewhere else that some of these can be found?

First of all thanks for your interest.

You can try cornerband.com

Search for the band names. I think you can download from there. Has anyone else had this sort of problem?

If so I'm more than willing to send them to you via my computer through AIM. My screen name is: cellardoor1118

Elgyn
02-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Ok,
My apologies for the delays in signing up, I haven't found the time. There's a lot to listen through so forgive if I can't get to all of it. I'll just listen to Syrin for the moment, otherwise I might get a little lost.

I liked the feel of Butterscotch, it had a sound something like some of Led Zeppelin's accoustic stuff. Myris was similar to that. I'm not suggesting it's a bad thing though, it's pleasant to hear. My sound card only supports one channel, so I think I may be missing out on a lot of the textured sounds, and perhaps a few of the acoustics as well. Not to worry, it still sounds effective.

'Loose Change' reminded me rather heavily of the Santana/Everlast song 'Put your lights on', just the A minor to C, with the same upper melody. Not sure if this was on purpose or subconscious but to me the similarities are quite striking, maybe only because I've played the song myself. You're bound to write songs which sound a little like something else somewhere along the way, and I'm not discrediting you for it. It digresses anyway. I like the very faint distorted 'lead' (?) guitar which I can hear. It finishes it off well, building up a bit of energy.

Question: Did this project release a CD? You mention 'Note on a Napkin' is a fan favourite. I'm just wondering. I find a bit of this to be a little too drifting for my liking, but I gather that in part that's the feel you're after. Easy listening, it certainly is. That's not to say I don't like it, but with the same rhythm and instruments for over five minutes, I generally lose interest. Having said that, there is definately a progression throughout the song. It's just subtle, and takes it's time. There's some critique *winks*. I haven't really listened to much music of this style, so I'm not sure how the dynamics usually work.

I like Blissful Ennui. I think it's probably the distorted guitar leading the melody which does it. Nice rhythm the guitar is cranking as well. I like the style of Rain, and the background textures fit in well. Probably my fave.

Summary of post: Cool stuff, a little airy for my liking at times, but over all a nice relaxing feel to it. Sorry if I rambled.

The_Naked_Stalk
02-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Ok,
My apologies for the delays in signing up, I haven't found the time. There's a lot to listen through so forgive if I can't get to all of it. I'll just listen to Syrin for the moment, otherwise I might get a little lost.

I liked the feel of Butterscotch, it had a sound something like some of Led Zeppelin's accoustic stuff. Myris was similar to that. I'm not suggesting it's a bad thing though, it's pleasant to hear. My sound card only supports one channel, so I think I may be missing out on a lot of the textured sounds, and perhaps a few of the acoustics as well. Not to worry, it still sounds effective.

'Loose Change' reminded me rather heavily of the Santana/Everlast song 'Put your lights on', just the A minor to C, with the same upper melody. Not sure if this was on purpose or subconscious but to me the similarities are quite striking, maybe only because I've played the song myself. You're bound to write songs which sound a little like something else somewhere along the way, and I'm not discrediting you for it. It digresses anyway. I like the very faint distorted 'lead' (?) guitar which I can hear. It finishes it off well, building up a bit of energy.

Question: Did this project release a CD? You mention 'Note on a Napkin' is a fan favourite. I'm just wondering. I find a bit of this to be a little too drifting for my liking, but I gather that in part that's the feel you're after. Easy listening, it certainly is. That's not to say I don't like it, but with the same rhythm and instruments for over five minutes, I generally lose interest. Having said that, there is definately a progression throughout the song. It's just subtle, and takes it's time. There's some critique *winks*. I haven't really listened to much music of this style, so I'm not sure how the dynamics usually work.

I like Blissful Ennui. I think it's probably the distorted guitar leading the melody which does it. Nice rhythm the guitar is cranking as well. I like the style of Rain, and the background textures fit in well. Probably my fave.

Summary of post: Cool stuff, a little airy for my liking at times, but over all a nice relaxing feel to it. Sorry if I rambled.

I'll never get mad at you for rambling.

Thanks for your thoughts and time. Syrin (as the name may suggest somewhat) is meant to lull. I think a lot of times people want music to do all these different things, but with Syrin most of the music is just meant to make you stop paying attention on the analytical level. However (as the name also suggests to a certain degree) there is much analytical work involved with Syrin just not on a musical level. The melodies and harmonies are simple and folk-influenced. There is much consonance. But the layers and textures were pain-staking. It's too bad you don't have a better sound card, I'm sure you would appreciate it more. The way everything swirls and ebbs.

I'm not familiar with the Santana tune. I heard that "Smooth" song and that was enough for me, I didn't care for it. Syrin was done composing in early 1999. When was that song released?

The feel is definitely to sort of lose yourself in the texture. And yes, subtlety. It's always been something that I think good artists use. Radiohead are masters of subtlety. You might enjoy Syrin more at night. The album was written and recorded at night, and to me it has a very twilight feel to it. Er.... Perhaps I shouldn't say this, but I'm gonna be honest and tell the truth. A lot of our fans are uh, self-medicaters. I've been told that this is the best music ever written for that sort of thing (it's probably not, but I've been told that before). I'm not sure whether that's a positive thing or not, but I'll gladly take any compliment. So, if that is your bag, ya know, maybe it's something to think about.

Feel free to post more reviewing as you can. I'll anxiously await it. Also, I think with your taste in music you'll definitely dig the other A Modest Proposal stuff more than Syrin. It's dynamic and rhythmic and always shifting.

Jebus
02-18-2004, 05:44 PM
okay. so far i've heard neon. very much reminded me of kyuss at times, which was good, because i like kyuss. then at other times sounded like something else entirely. good stuff.

Elgyn
02-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Damn... I'm listening to Red now, I really like that song. You nailed it pretty good when you said it's a cross between Tool and Crimson King.

I'm well aware of the listeners desire to have a sugar laced banquet placed before them, and with that in mind I try and give things a good listen, on a musical level. It's frustrating that without a singer music tends to fall under the way.

Seriously,
Red is going to become a feature of my play list. I'll listen to Phosophis others when I get to it. Oh, and by the way, the Santana album was released in '99.

Jebus
02-18-2004, 07:57 PM
wow. butterscoth is awesome. i'll agree with zeppelin 3 comparison...really good stuff...not much more to say then that...brilliant.

The_Naked_Stalk
02-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Damn... I'm listening to Red now, I really like that song. You nailed it pretty good when you said it's a cross between Tool and Crimson King.

I'm well aware of the listeners desire to have a sugar laced banquet placed before them, and with that in mind I try and give things a good listen, on a musical level. It's frustrating that without a singer music tends to fall under the way.

Seriously,
Red is going to become a feature of my play list. I'll listen to Phosophis others when I get to it. Oh, and by the way, the Santana album was released in '99.

Oh the irony. Wow Santana... I never thought I'd sound like him. haha.

Well, seriously, wow. I'm flattered, thanks. But I'd really like for you to finish Syrin & AMP before Phosophis. I'm not super-proud of it. Like I said earlier, I don't expect people to like it. I don't really like is that much, mostly just the tone of it and the idea. But feel free to do what you want.

It's a shame AMP never developed. We wanted a singer and a 2nd guitarist, but it never worked out.

Finally, be sure to play our stuff for friends and such...meh... Sorry for the shameless plug....

The_Naked_Stalk
02-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks a lot Jebus. I compare Syrin to the melding of the folk of Led Zeppelin with the textures and layering of NIN & The Smashing Pumpkins. And Neon was definitely the "single." It's really riffy and rawkin'.

neochrist
02-25-2004, 09:25 AM
i like the guitar, your drummer is offbeat

The_Naked_Stalk
02-28-2004, 02:17 PM
i like the guitar, your drummer is offbeat

Thanks. Is it possible you might be referring to the counter-rhythms in certain sections. He's not generally too bad as far as rhythm is concerned. He had his bad moments, but I'm pretty sure what you're referring to is intentional cross-rhythms.