PDA

View Full Version : Quite a literal interpretation

Franklinfunk
02-12-2004, 03:23 AM
This is my very literal view of the child abuse aspect of Prison Sex, but it makes the most sense to me when thought about like this

It took so long to remember just what happened.
I was so young and vestal then,
you know it hurt me,

The victim begins completely stunned and in utter shock of what has happened to him. He acknowledges his own vulnerability and sort of seems ashamed, making accuses (I was so young and vestal) as to why it has happened to him. He also shows great contempt for his abuser, acknowldeging "you know it hurt me", you were completely aware of what you were doing and the consequences which it will have upon me.

but I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive
even if signs seem to tell me otherwise.

He is breathless, still in shock and he now feels like a part of him is dead.

I've got my hands bound,
my head down, my eyes closed,
and my throat wide open.

This symbolizes ultimate vulnerability and paints a vivid picture of how the character has been abused

Do unto others what has been done to you
I'm treading water,
I need to sleep a while.
My lamb and martyr, you look so precious.

I believe this part is how he who has been abused is also going to abuse himself. Lamb, martyr and precious would suggest that it is his own child he is going to abuse

Won't you come a bit closer,
close enough so I can smell you.

This bit is similar to little Red Riding Hood getting closer and closer towards who she suspects to be her Grandmother. It is very eery and gives the impression of the abuser creeping up really close to the victim

I need you to feel this,
I can't stand to burn too long.
Released in this sodomy.
For one sweet moment I am whole.

The abused believes that the only way to free himself from the trauma and pain which he has been caused is to pass on the 'curse' by doing it to his own. He needs to do it now because he's not sure how much more he can take.

Do unto you now what has been done to me.
You're breathing so I guess you're still alive
even if signs seem to tell me otherwise.
Won't you come just a bit closer,
close enough so I can smell you.

This is of course where he abuses his child. This could also be an anti-Christian message as it is the bible that tells us to "do unto you now what has been done to me."

I need you to feel this.
I need this to make me whole.
There's release in this sodomy.
For I am your witness that
blood and flesh can be trusted.
And only this one holy medium brings me piece of mind.

He believes this is the only way to break the cycle. He has become so brainwashed by what the bible has told him to do that he truly believes that what he has done has brought him "piece of mind."

Got your hands bound, your head down,
your eyes closed.
You look so precious now.

Show me something
Thought I could make it end
Thought I could wash the stains away
Thought I could break the circle if I
Slipped right into your skin
So sweet was your surrender
We have become one
I have become my terror
And you my precious lamb and martyr

This is like a realization that he has become what he most despised and everything will go full circle and the cycle of abuse will continue.

I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this
shit blood and cum on my hands.
I've come round full circle.
My lamb and martyr, this will be over soon.
You look so precious.

Temporarily he sees the truth, he sees that he can't break the cycle and he will always be plagued by the memories of what has happened to him, but it is only temporary and he lapses back into his brainwashed state.

Be gentle, this is my first time...

AllforUnity
02-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Hey, l liked it. l thought it was well, thought-out peice. Although, l don't totally agree with you on every aspect of your interpretation. And one thing l didn't quite...agree with, l suppose, is that you went from talking about abusers, and being abused, to the bible and religion. l personally do not think this song is about literal abusing, or being abused. l do agree with some of what you said though...about how when something happens to people, they take it and they do it to whomever else they will...hence "do unto you now, what has been done to me." l agree totally with that part of your interpretation, and that line itself. Usually, when people get treated a certain way, abused or not, they end up doing the same thing to people they know in the future.

Like religion, again, when people are brought up in a house of strict rules, and religious aspects, they tend to grow up always believing that, and nothing is going to change their mind. Some of them grow up to be preachers, which end up trying to teach you their beliefs...that is a good example of "Do unto you now, what has been done to me." lt's just more of an example that most people don't realize. Like if a kid grows up in a racist house-hold, he will most likely end up being racist himself, because of his/her parents. So in turn, when that child grows up and has children of their own, their children could very well end up growing up to be racist, because of what their parents have taught them.

Well to me, it was a well-written interpretation, and l enjoyed reading it. lt was good for a first. :)

Theodagoth
02-18-2004, 06:59 PM
I quite agree with you, though it is possible some may be mistaken. I have believe the same interpretation, and if you read this tell me what you think of "Sober". I have thought that one is about how the world is constantly hating and blaming it on material desire, blah blah blah so forth.