PDA

View Full Version : Lateralus doesn't have a big meaning...

GÆGnon
02-11-2004, 01:58 AM
I think Lateralus is simply a puzzle... That if you solve... It will unlock the rest of the album...

'Over thinking, over analyzing'

'Spiral out, keep going'

'Move between the sounds'

^Those and many other clues are in the lyrics...

Maynard urging people to look beyond the sounds... Over analyze... Cause this 'Seperates the body from the mind'

Which is what he wants to happen... Seperation of the body and mind...

My mother is in fact a part of a religion which encourages this... So she know alot on the subject...

And I believe my theory has already come into play...
With the supposed 'Holy Gift'

The alternate track-listing... Wether or not this whole thing is speculation or is what Tool intended... Either way we have still accomplished what Tool wants us to accomplish... We've looked beyond what is written and what is heard...

Wu-Li Novice
02-15-2004, 11:43 PM
"leaving all these opertunites behind" spelling!
But this is negative.

I think the whole song is just basicly Feel and experience existance not think and know it. and use your brain and not whats been put into it.

Talonwulf
02-21-2004, 05:37 PM
I think there is a puzzle in lateralus. Some people have said something about a mathematic equation or sumthin u should put the tracks in order of or sumthin.

Oh and to diss u on grammar, alot is 2 words. TWO WOOOOORDS! Sorry, i do that with evry1.... its 2 wrds...

corps d'allumen
03-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Re: New Meaning To the World La-Te-Ra-Lu-s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainednarf1014
Why are you so mad. All we are doing is expanding our minds. You like to bring people down don't you. Im sorry you feel that way. We all are looking for something in life thats what makes it worth living. The journey for knowledge. And in all the interviews I've read with Maynard offer a different view of what you say. According to what he said in the interviews he wants his fans to learn and gain knowledge thats why he doesnt give out his meanings. He wants you to get something more out of it that a few programmed body movements. Were having fun doing this while your pissed off alone so why don't you quit while your ahead and join the side that has fun with music.

First: I'm not Maynard, and I don't much care that you think I don't have the same opinion. I probably don't. To quote an overly quoted quote, "Think for yourself, question authority."

Second: LIFE is what makes life worth living. True, the quest for knowledge is important, as knowledge expands the mind. But the question is "what is truly trivial information?" If all this... stuff... makes your life worth living, as you said, then hooray for you.

Third: TOOL doesn't readily give the meanings to THEIR songs because THEIR songs are designed to help you learn and gain knowledge of yourself. All this extraneous information usually doesn't help you learn anything else but more extraneous information. If learning the atomic numbers to an album title helps you understand yourself better, good for you. In fact, help me understand how it relates; frankly, I don't see how it ever could...

Fourth: I really don't like to bring people down, although I know I come across that way at times. I am mad, but at the fact that the majority is abusing this band's message to fufill their own insecurities; you're not expanding your mind as much as you are clouding it. I've learned by living life that lots of really important things are not fun. Growth is not fun; growth is painful. Some of the greatest things ever come from extreme pain, just ask your mother. Real life and growth from its experiences comes from living it, not reading or listening or studying it, but living it. Take inspiration from everything and do something positive with it, but remember, it's just an inspiration. How can you live the atomic numbers? How do they help you relate and interact better with yourself or your fellow human beings? The point of TOOL's music is to open your eyes to everything else, not just their music/lyrics/artwork. That is unless you want to be a Tool expert, in which case, sorry to inform you, no universities offer degrees in TooLOLogy yet...

Lastly: It pisses me off to the Nth degree when people say things like, ::ahem::
"If you do not wish to participate, then don't. No one is forcing you, really... and im sure we won't miss you. Take care, have fun.. bye!" People have the right to tell someone that they're doing or saying something stupid, and they have the right to defend themselves. It's called a debate. But in this case specifically, the guy said 'I mean we're not looking for the holy grail here,' and he had the best point in this forum. So the other one tells him to leave because of it... How can this music inspire your life if all you do is dissect the inspiration to get the 'hidden message.' (and more than likely, there isn't one to the degree you think.) The real message, especially in this song, is right in front of your face. "Embrace my desire to feel inspired," not feel inspired to butt-rape someone's music. Maybe on a less tolerating level, "Take what you want and then go." Quote: "In a perfect world, people in general will hear the album, be inspired and do something extraordinary... I get resentful and upset when people don't use their heads about stuff. It upsets me when people are selling themselves short and letting themselves down, wether it's education or information." Hmmm, that sounds so familliar... So keep your fun group, i choose to live.

AllforUnity
03-09-2004, 11:28 PM
l think l've said something like that to someone.

paraflux
03-11-2004, 07:15 AM
The line "overthinking, overanalyzing, separates the body from the mind" cannot mean to me what you claim it means to you. If you keep going with those lyrics, you see negative qualities attached to this separation.

Overthinking, overanalyzing separates the body from the mind, withering my intuition, leaving opportunities behind.

What is so great about having a withered intuition? About leaving opportunities behind?

corps d'allumen
03-11-2004, 11:08 AM
The line "overthinking, overanalyzing, separates the body from the mind" cannot mean to me what you claim it means to you. If you keep going with those lyrics, you see negative qualities attached to this separation.

Overthinking, overanalyzing separates the body from the mind, withering my intuition, leaving opportunities behind.

What is so great about having a withered intuition? About leaving opportunities behind?
Me? I agree with you.