PDA

View Full Version : (The Song) Lateralus-diary of a Wizard of Oz/Dark Side of the Moon trip

abefrohmn
12-26-2002, 05:44 PM
OK, here goes my 2 cents

I was sitting in my old dorm room, stoned, trying to feed my will to clean the stye, and listening to the song. I was pretty stoned, so I was thinking about my friend telling me Tool is the Pink Floyd of our generation. This led me to think about the Wizard of Oz and Pink Floyd viewings on mushrooms. Then, an ephinay unfolded about this song being some varation of just that,

I'll lay out my proposition by comparing the movie and album playing while the drugs soak in and the lyrics

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

OK, when the movie starts out (in it's infancy) shit's all in black and white. Then after Dorthy gets deposited in Oz. The sun's rising, as in red and yellow coming to be letting her "See". And the yellow-brick road is a spiral to start out with I've been told.

Feed my will to feel this moment urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

Alright, now Dorthy gotta go fetch that dumb dog or whatever. Anyhow, inorder to do this, she's gotta brave the tornado (spiral) by feeding her will to cross the line and embrace it.

which leads us into some of the most eloquent and beautiful thoughts ever uttered in music

I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
between the sounds and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Spiral out. Keep going, going...

thus, at this point Maynard or the guy he's writing about, is having the drugs soak fully in, and Dorthy's stepping out of Kansas, ergo the reference to losing yourself between the sounds (The album playing) and the reference to we (Dorthy and the Tripper).

Dunno, I think there's something there, whadda y'all think?

Christopher
12-29-2002, 03:17 PM
thats interesting, but you can amke connections with anything if you look hard enough.

abefrohmn
01-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Christopher
thats interesting, but you can amke connections with anything if you look hard enough.

Your completely right, I was just stoned, listening to the song and that came to mind. Later on, I found out a friend of a friend thought the same thing. Figured that can't be a coincidence.

abefrohmn
01-27-2003, 03:00 PM
Whuu??
: )