PDA

View Full Version : My first ever project

The_Naked_Stalk
02-06-2004, 09:18 AM
This was the first thing I ever did.

It's called Syrin. You can read the bio for a full explanation.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. All the usual James policies apply: honesty, voting at the site and here, freedom to do whatever you want with the music, and of course the liberty to completely scoff.

This is a project that was very integral to my development as a musician. It's very flawed and was done about 4 years ago. So the poetry is angst-ridden and the music is a Led Zeppelin/Smashing Pumpkins ripped off. I just needed to go ahead and post it to feel really open with everyone. I'm not ashamed of the flaws. I'm proud of the successes. Those two feelings can co-exist, so yea. The main thing with Syrin is emotional connection. Each song is an outlet for a way I was feeling at the time. Anyways. Rambling.

Thanks as always.

Here's the link:

http://www.cornerband.com/html/bandPage/bandPage.asp?band_id=1035153

Matteran
02-07-2004, 01:08 AM
i like most of it. It has a nice feel to it. I don't really connect with it, but i have a folder that i keep good music that i downloaded from TDN Records, and this is going in it.

When i say i don't connect with it, i just mean that the emotions you were feeling at the time just arn't interpreted the same way i would interpret them... that's sort of a given. You play music for yourself, and if you like it then it's good music, and if other people like it too, then good for them.

so...

good for me.....

[edit: I just wanted to add that the recording's sound really good, like quality wise. And I like all the little electronically generated stuff (i think the only instrument's used were guitars, and you generated the other stuff on computer? just assuming that to be the truth). But the quality, and production value is better than anything i record.]

The_Naked_Stalk
02-08-2004, 06:12 PM
i like most of it. It has a nice feel to it. I don't really connect with it, but i have a folder that i keep good music that i downloaded from TDN Records, and this is going in it.

When i say i don't connect with it, i just mean that the emotions you were feeling at the time just arn't interpreted the same way i would interpret them... that's sort of a given. You play music for yourself, and if you like it then it's good music, and if other people like it too, then good for them.

so...

good for me.....

[edit: I just wanted to add that the recording's sound really good, like quality wise. And I like all the little electronically generated stuff (i think the only instrument's used were guitars, and you generated the other stuff on computer? just assuming that to be the truth). But the quality, and production value is better than anything i record.]

Everything you hear was done with guitars. That was sort of the gimmick for the band. All sounds created by guitars. And it was all done one track at a time using Cakewalk. Computers were used only to pan and fade (eq slightly).

I understand what you meant about not connecting, thats fine. I totally agree with what you say about music.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to review my stuff.