PDA

View Full Version : Death from...Within?

Disciple
01-27-2004, 09:45 PM
I'd agree with the suicide thing as a definite possibility. The great thing about the song though is that it can be taken literally (interpreted simply as pushing love on someone) just as easily and still be an outstanding song. However, the song does show some proof of the former...

If you take the subject (IE Maynard, for argument's sake) and figure he's singing to himself, or a voice of death in himself..

"I will choke until I swallow...
Choke this infant here before me.
What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down?

But you're
Pushing and shoving me.
You still love me and you pushit on me."

The voice pushes death (suicide) on himself even though it's part of him. "What is this but my reflection?"

The infant being his...inner child?

As the song goes on he seemingly escapes it, then comes back.

"Slipping back into the gap again.
I'm alive when you're touching me,
Alive when you're shoving me down.

But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Peace of mind."

He "slips back into the gap" and the voice returns...

The peace of mind would come from the absence of the voice pushing and shoving him, although it's presence makes him feel alive.

"Saw that gap again today
As you were begging me to stay.
Managed to push myself away,
And you, as well."

Here the voice would be begging him to stay in the gap...and he pushes away again.

"If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
You minimize my movement anyway,
I must persuade you another way.

There's no love in fear.

Staring down the hole again.
Hands upon my back again.
Survival is my only friend.
Terrified of what may come.

Just remember I will always love you,
Even as I tear your fucking throat away.
But it will end no other way."

And the rest is easy...this way would explain the final verse, he loves death (the voice) because it's a part of him, but because it only seeks to destroy him, he must get rid of it (this where he mentions survival being his only friend, as is own enemy is within himself). He says he will always love death, even as he rids himself of it, because it will end no other way.

To me it makes sense...I dunno...it's prolly all the jibber of a newbie, but hey...tell me what you think =) Pushit is probably one of my favorite Tool songs, so I'd love to hear other interpretations.

Peace