PDA

View Full Version : What percussion is used at the beginning?

drum_dood
12-25-2002, 06:43 AM
Hey um...I just wanted to know what is making the very first sound in eulogy. it sounds like danny's striking a glass bottle with something maybe...oh and i bet this has already been covered but i just wanted to get some ideas...

MushroomStamp
12-26-2002, 12:50 PM
Thats adam playing really high on the bridge of his guitar.

The accompanying perc comes in on the simmons pads. Look them up on danny's site.

drum_dood
12-27-2002, 07:39 AM
well, i'm glad i know that now, i've been trying to figure out what he's playing for a while now. hey, does adam use an effect along with playing on the bridge? just wanted to know...

reverb
01-09-2003, 07:08 AM
he taps the strings when he does it that is why it is confused with a percussion instrument

Chris_Brightwell
01-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by reverb
he taps the strings when he does it that is why it is confused with a percussion instrument Actually, he is plucking between the bridge and the body, as opposed to between the bridge and the nut (like most normal folks).

If you look at a pic of his guitar, you can see where the strings extend past the bridge and into/through the body. It's there that he plucks at the beginnging of Eulogy.

At 0:12, we hear some accompanying percussion courtesy of Danny.

At 0:35 we're introduced to the interesting sound of Maynard with a megaphone. He holds a note, then taps the trigger on the megaphone.

At approx 0:45, we can hear a very quiet bass part underneath everything already present.

All of this continues until 1:57 when the song kicks out of the intro and into the actual content of the song.

HTH.

--
Chris Brightwell // moderator

seraph
01-09-2003, 09:06 AM
'tis very true

and folks it is possible to mimick the sound if your guitar doesnt have a tailpiece

just use your fingers and press on the 1st and 2nd strings about 2 or 3 inches from the bridge and PLUCK AWAY and remember the pickup selector and treble knob on your guitar

And as far as i know about Les Pauls, which may not be much, i dont think the strings go through the body hence the tailpiece but im not too sure.

Chris_Brightwell
01-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by seraph
[...] And as far as i know about Les Pauls, which may not be much, i dont think the strings go through the body hence the tailpiece but im not too sure. They do. Check images.google.com for pictures of 1978 Gibson Les Paul guitars (Adam's guitar of choice) and you'll see it.

--
Chris Brightwell // moderator.

observer
01-09-2003, 01:29 PM
(checking the pic of Adam and his guitar on my wall)
Les Pauls strung through the body? Not mine, or any other lp that I've seen, including the ones on google. Running the stings through the body, out the top and through the tail piece to the bridge would make for horrible intonation and tuning problems imo.
By the way, when he is playing that part in the beginning, he is muting the strings with his fret hand while plucking the d behind the bridge and occasionally hitting the g, then as the intro progresses, he lets the string ring.
The same technique is used in H right before the legato part

Chris_Brightwell
01-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by observer
(checking the pic of Adam and his guitar on my wall)
Les Pauls strung through the body? Not mineMy terminology was off -- sorry.

Either that or I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing. Heh.

--
Chris Brightwell // moderator