PDA

View Full Version : Carey vs. Peart

dueler25
12-24-2002, 12:14 PM
Danny Carey is one of the best drummers in rock today. Neil Peart is regarded as one of the best rock drummers of all time. Wouldn't it be sweet if they made an album where they duel entitled "Carey vs. Peart"? Pretty sweet, I think.

wizzertz
12-24-2002, 02:31 PM
That would be outstanding because Peart was my first drum inspiration growing up. When I first listened to Tool I was instantly reminded of Peart. They're both kind of similiar in the way they utilize hi-hat/ride cymbals. Peart is also quite into the electronic triggering much like Danny.

Since we're speaking of drummers, give Dave Weckl a listen. He ranks right up there with Carey and Peart. They are all great drummers.

mne pohuy
12-24-2002, 03:30 PM
Also check out marco minneman, that guy's technique is insane. Watch him on a snare... damn!

cre8soul
12-25-2002, 05:19 PM
They both are such influential drummers I can't begin to explain...Pert was my favorite for a while, then I started listening to Tool, and Danny just blew my mind...Danny's parts are so well written and soetimes mindbending in the complexity of the rythem or fill...I've been trying to play the break on Eulogy for 1 year and a half now and still can't...Dave WEckl is friggn awsome too, but a much different style than Carey or Pert...He's sraight up proggresive jazz and it's awsome...

Peace to the drummers out there!!!

Headmusic
12-26-2002, 10:37 AM
One underrated, vaguely known about drummer is Barrymore Barlow of Jethro Tull. Any of you drummers out there looking for the imaginative type like Carrey and Peart will love this guy. When you get a chance, listen to the album 'Songs from the Wood.' Just remember while listening that Barlow did NOT use a double base. It'll blow your mind.

rickiep00h
12-27-2002, 03:49 PM
Dave Weckl is insane. I had the luxury of seeing him play at my school for our day of percussion, and he totally rocked out. And considering the fact that he's got one bad knee... that's even more impressive.

brian
01-05-2003, 07:25 PM
another bad ass drummer that i just started listening to is mike portnoy from dream theatre....just a suggestion some of you may like it, most probably wont but he is still bad ass.

Jizzlobber
01-06-2003, 02:35 AM
Devin townsends drummer is awesome.. his got the best double kick that ive heard. devin and him are in a hard core metal band called "strapping young lad" known as SYL. Go to your local big cd store and buy "terria" but devin townsend. Trust me you will love the album. Its a mellow jorney through music.. Its like Reflections through the whole album and not knowing what is comming next.
72mins of great music.

cya

Timothy
01-08-2003, 04:36 AM
The man's name (Dev's drummer) is Gene Hoglan.
Besides playing in Devin's projects he's played for Death, Dark Angel & Testament. And yes, he is a phenominal drummer.

Shadowfax
01-08-2003, 06:58 AM
Danny Carey is definately my biggest drumming inspiration ever. Another good drummer I'd suggest listening to is the guy from Mudvayne, although he definately can't stand up to anything near as great as Carey, he's very good.

Dhalz
01-09-2003, 01:13 AM
This may not go down well but the drummer from sluipknot Joey Jordison is very good. the best musician in that band. in fact he is wasted in slipknot. also is it just me or is the drummer from system of a down a big phoney. his drumkit is huge but ive never heard it played properly.

Shadowfax
01-09-2003, 08:45 AM
I would say the drummer in SoaD is pretty good, but I dont think he uses his whole set very much...I know he does play all over it, but I think he very rarely does big fills or crash on all of his cymbals...

Shpongleyes
01-10-2003, 03:44 AM
i'll say something... i'm glad this thread hasn't devolved into a "my favorite drummer is so much better than your favorite drummer" flame war.... I had a very similar conversation with a fellow Tool fan and bassist buddy of mine the other night (i play drums) We agreed on Danny's ability to play very well... but when i suggested some other excellent drummers like Peart and Portnoy for their technical merit, or even Paul Bostaph, Dave Lombardo from Slayer fame and Vinnie Paul from Pantera for their speed among other skills... he decided to go into this whole fit, shaking his head, like they aren't as good or what have you... He kept talking about the drummer for Dave Matthews Band. Now, i'm NOT a big DMB fan, but i respect their abilities and their talent...and from what i've heard from the DMB drummer, he seemed to be pretty good. anyway, getting to the point, he kept trying to rank these guys. i find that very difficult to do as many of the styles deserve their own categories.
~Matt

Shadowfax
01-10-2003, 08:09 AM
I agree, you can't really rate drummers, or any musician for that matter, at the level that these people are at because of the diversities in the different styles they have.