PDA

View Full Version : Self-Explainatory.

AllforUnity
01-23-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm going to give my own interpretation of this song. Before I begin, a reminder: this is the way I think, my theory/belief/thoughts…you don't have to think the same.

I think this song is about people…certain people perhaps. People who drain things…maybe the record company?

First verse:
Suck and suck.
Suckin up all you can, suckin up all you can suck.
Workin up under my patience like a little tick.
Fat little parasite.

I think Maynard is angry in this song…haha. Well it seems to me like he's talking about someone who sucks up all they can suck, like the record company would be my first guess. Because back in the 90's there was that whole lawsuit thing…but I'm not really sure if that could be the reason/basis of the song.

Next verse:

Suck me dry.
My blood is bruised and borrowed. You thieving bastards.
You have turned my blood cold and bitter,
beat my compassion black and blue.

I think this song is pretty self-explanatory for the most part. Whenever something happens that sucks you dry, it probably pisses you off, which in turn makes your compassion black and blue, like you don’t care anymore.
Next verse:
Hope this is what you wanted.
Hope this is what you had in mind.
Cuz this is what you're getting.
I hope you're choking. I hope you choke on this.

I guess this just means that whatever they trying to take, they better be prepared for what they get, or what you give them. I would hope they choke too…bastards
Next verse:
Taken all I can, taken all I can, we can take.
Taken all you can, taken all you can fuckin' take
Got nothing left to give to you.
Blood suckin parasitic little tick/blood suckin parasitic little tick
Take what you want and then go.

Maynard is pissed in this song alright…I guess there is really no interpretation of this song, it's very self-explanatory…I don't think there's a much deeper meaning past the lyrics.

All this pain is an illusion.

AllforUnity
01-23-2004, 12:11 PM
l think this could be about fans too.

AllforUnity
01-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Haha, alright.

Hey, why don't you IM me anymore? l never see you on.

AllforUnity
01-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Hmm...that's weird. l don't know, l really haven't seen you on lately at all. l'll IM you today sometime when l get home from school, or something like that.

Do you think l don't say enough with my posts?

Windir
01-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Do you think l don't say enough with my posts?

Hahahahaha... I couldn't resist to post a reply on that... ;Þ

Lackymacky
07-26-2004, 12:00 PM
no i dont think its about the record company i think its about the fans, which im sure a lot of people have already said..i have slow internet so i cant read all of the threads. but a lot of people have been saying tool isnt the way they used to be, as in undertow and opiate, more "rockish" if you will, and i think its about that. people are constantly bugging them to make more hard songs and more screaming and loud drums bass and guitar..and in ticks and leeches they do that , maynard screams, the drums are hard and the guitar and bass are rough. and the lyrics clearly say "hope this is what you wanted" as in you wanted rock and screaming youre getting it..and they just want those people, the ticks and leeches, to just get off their back and shutup..thats just always how i thought of the song since the first time i heard it.

Post ^_^

elusivEuphoria
07-29-2004, 10:33 AM
ahh, this seems like an adequate discussion to perk my newborn head up on this forum.

Well my thoughts on Ticks and Leeches is pretty much the same as all Tool songs... or hopefully any song i hear. And that is that there shoudl be many ways to interput the meaning behind the music. I would definately agree that Ticks is a very blunt song. Its blunt in the fact that its almost like saying "Look! you have withered me down to nothing and stuck you greasy fingers in every hole to have a taste you greedy little sh#thead. So dont expect me to tolerate it forever!"

I could agree to the fans arguement... but then why cave to the other end? But then again maybe he/they arent caving... i mean, look at Hooker with a Penis. Very similar song, certainly if you look at it(Ticks) as a "anti-fan b#tching" song.

But aside from that, i definately agree with the record label BS as well. My thoughts are that was what triggered the idea, lyrically speaking of course, although maybe Adam or Justin coudl have had that in the back of their heads while jamming out earlier versions of the song. And then the song certainly woudl have evolved to a much broader scheme.

I like to think of it as a device... the for me to use whenever i feel it nessecary. We all need to vent everynow and then, and as we grow, hopefully we will have to do it less and less... i think that is the reason Tool's music has changed. You cant just keep saying the same thing and feeling the same way for no reason. there has to be something else going on in your head. And its not just Tool, that can be seen with a lot of bands... Ex: Deftones.

But one thing about Ticks that i think deserves attention is the quiet yet chaotic middle portion of the song. That seems less Self-Explanitory to me. :-P just a LONG thought.

AllforUnity
10-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Of course Windir...

Cyanide ChrYst
10-27-2004, 02:19 PM
This song is obviously about the delicacy of boiling children.

Windir
10-28-2004, 07:04 AM
No - all Tool songs ® about anal sex.

"Of course Windir..."

Of course of course Windir...

TheHolyGift
10-28-2004, 07:31 AM
No - all Tool songs ® about anal sex.

"Of course Windir..."

Of course of course Windir...

Right. This one is obviously about oral sex.

Windir
10-28-2004, 07:40 AM
n00b

TheHolyGift
10-28-2004, 02:03 PM
d00che.

Lackymacky
10-28-2004, 06:49 PM
This song is obviously about the delicacy of boiling children.

funneh funneh man ...where do you come up with this nonsense...ITS SO COOL!

Cyanide ChrYst
10-28-2004, 07:37 PM
cyanide wins.

Yeah, shut up before you get the e-smackdown, macky.

Lackymacky
10-29-2004, 01:49 PM
eep