PDA

View Full Version : We can only look at things from our own perspective

Ahnijson_films
12-24-2002, 01:40 AM
Here is my problem with this theory - you say that we are so advanced, that humans have developed so many things... but really, that is only from a human perspective. We think it is so great that we can clone a sheep, but really, we cannot even get to Mars with a person on board. We still rely on fossil fuels (for the most part), we still have diseases that haven't been cured, and on and on. Earth is just a speck of dust in this gigantic fucking universe with billions of galaxies and stars and planets and black holes and things we still don't know about and can never comprehend. To say that we are advanced is just ridiculous. Compared to 3000 years ago, yeah, we've gained a little. We can shit inside of our houses (which actually, to get technical, civiliations 2000 years ago had indoor plumbing with copper tubing... but anyway), we ride in fuel eating cars rather than horses, but basically, we still have to eat, sleep, drink, screw, and breathe air to survive. So really, I don't think we are AT ALL "advanced" in comparison with the rest of the universe. And therefore, won't become infinitly advanced for quite some time. And I agree with one of the posts that says we are advancing logarithmically... We can get infinitly more intellegent without ever reaching an end because there is no end.

our_divinity
03-14-2005, 01:15 AM
but we ARE advanced compared to any other form of life yet discovered. we are the only organism that can affect our environment to almost any degree imagineable, unlike other forms of life which are mostly reactive to changes.

indoor plumbing 2000 years ago? granted. but: now we can do so much more than civilizations 2000 years ago. computer technology, medicine, the scientific process, democracy....ad infinitum.

these new processes bring with them equally limitless problems, but in terms of advancement which was the purpose of the post, contemporary humanity is unrivalled.

UtUmNo1
03-14-2005, 02:45 AM
We can't compare the state of our advancement with anything but ourselves. Thus leading us to the conclusion that we are advanced.