PDA

View Full Version : the title

DR5
01-21-2004, 09:51 PM
The theories about H being about maynards son, or choice to be with him, sound possible...but...

What would the title mean then? Why half full/half empty?

th3rdeye
01-21-2004, 11:23 PM
http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?t=1938
http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?t=5490

Ashes-TO-Ashes
01-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Consider this too. Kind of stupid but a thought nonetheless. It has been speculated that the song is about Jesus or Bill hicks. How about both in metaphors. Bill Hicks was sort of a messiah in Maynard's eyes. Arrange Jesus H. Christ and Bill Hicks in the shape of a "fucking cross" and they intersect at the H.

Windir
01-23-2004, 04:15 AM
Why half full/half empty?

To find an answer to that question, read this Thread:
http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?t=9780&highlight=Half

dsl
02-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Maynard's son=Devo H. Keenan. When asked what H. was about Maynard said that was the "hint" he was giving to interviewer.

Undertolerance
02-18-2004, 10:09 PM
DSL, I would like to read this interview that he states this in, because I have never seen nor heard that anywhere. For I too would like to know the meaning of this song to him.

AllforUnity
02-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Hmm...yes, dsl, l'd like this interveiw as well. Do you have it on a tape...the computer? Do you know what site it's on?

DistortedxUnity
03-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Honestly, I think differently... H. is representative of the term ****... variations of humans. H. erectus, H. sapien... etc. So I think that the title H. in some way means human.

DistortedxUnity

PRNinja23
03-30-2004, 05:08 PM
And once has overcome the shadow, **** Spiritus... Makes sense.

Jesca3001
04-03-2004, 04:15 PM
What's coming through is alive.
What's holding up is a mirror.
But what's singing songs is a snake
Looking to turn this piss to wine.
[I see this as devo being born, holding up a mirror=the son is a reflection of the father. turning piss to wine is trying to make the best of an unpleasant situation]

They're both totally void of hate,
But killing me just the same.
[devo and his mother, perhaps?]
The snake behind me hisses
What my damage could have been.
My blood before me begs me
Open up my heart again.
[knowing that he could have turned him away and never know this child, but he wants to "open his heart" for him]
And I feel this coming over like a storm again.
Considerately.
[Overwhelming feelings that come with]
Venomous voice, tempts me,
Drains me, bleeds me,
Leaves me cracked and empty.
Drags me down like some sweet gravity.
[the voice in your head that says you will fail, to run away from this before you do any more damage?]
The snake behind me hisses
What my damage could have been.
My blood before me begs me
Open up my heart again.

And I feel this coming over like a storm again.

I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away.
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me,
And considerately killing me.
[bonding with the child, knowing that you would never be able to walk away now, because you are connected with each other]
Without the skin,
Beneath the storm,
Under these tears
The walls came down.

And the snake is drowned and
As I look in his eyes,
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of those times.

I could have cried then.
I should have cried then.
[the realization that your fears have been in vain (the venomous voice telling you that you to run?)]
And as the walls come down and
As I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of the times
I have died
and will die.
It's all right.
I don't mind.

I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away.
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me,

And considerately killing me.

yeah...well....thats IMHO of course.......maybe i should have started a thread for this, but meh........

AllforUnity
04-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Have you seen Devo's birth certificate?

Jesca3001
04-09-2004, 11:48 AM
oh yes, i forgot...devo is a metaphor for hollywoods idolization of celebrities ....and something about wine.........

AllforUnity
04-09-2004, 02:48 PM
This song is not about Devo.

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-11-2004, 06:00 PM
then what is it about?

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-11-2004, 06:02 PM
A.O.U. I'd never expect you to say what's right or wrong...

Maybe Tool didn't intend it, but if you portray an opinion and line it with evidence, is it not reasonable nonetheless?

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Devo is a much more sound conclusion than Half Full/Empty to me... the Lyrics seem to be more supportive of it...

paraflux
04-14-2004, 09:00 AM
I think I might could change your mind about that. But I have already done so with others in other threads.

Maynard has never given us reason to believe that he is ever coming from a personal perspective while with Tool.

AllforUnity
04-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Maynard states himself what this song is about during one of his concerts in Houston Texas. Well, he doesn't explain the exact meaning, but he talks about friendships and when friends try to help you, but they're just killing you. That's why it says they're both totally void of hate but killing me just the same. lt's not about Devo. And l don't think it means half empty/full.

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-14-2004, 01:04 PM
maybe it's tool's intentions, but is that what the song MEANS? The beauty of symbolism is that nothing is right or wrong... as that whole thread goes, you're half right, half wrong

AllforUnity
04-15-2004, 06:40 AM
l believe it could be what the song means. l think it's more about getting rid of things in your life that you don't need, so you can upgrade into more of a pure-spirited person.

h...
04-24-2004, 10:07 PM
l believe it could be what the song means. l think it's more about getting rid of things in your life that you don't need, so you can upgrade into more of a pure-spirited person.

...like smoking or drinking? Read my interpretation again, and try not to put it down because I said it MIGHT be about heroin. By the way, in an interview, when Maynard was asked who or what ".h" was, he replied "my son's name is Devo H. That's all I'll say..."

AllforUnity
04-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Yes, but that's something Maynard would say when it has alot of nothing to do with the song. Have you ever read/seen ALOT of interveiws with Maynard? He's a very very sarcastic person to the press/media. He purposely leads your mind away from the real meaning, because he doesn't want to answer your questions, he wants you to be able to answer them yourself.

peachyyy
07-30-2004, 01:32 PM
I belive every song he wrote has a different meaning at different times
I know,when I write a song of my own that is full of the current emotion,days later
I can find different meanings in it all
M's lyrics are complex enough,so why to complicate it even more?