PDA

View Full Version : my 3.140902651107 cents

JagXL
12-23-2002, 11:39 PM
Umm ok

In the beginning there are the 3 religious factions , they are old, possibly blind, and pretty much ugly.
Yet despite their faults they have great powers! They have the power to disect (scientific) Knowledge and see what they want in it. They have the power to produce flames (of hell, "love", eternity and other such concepts). Note that the world these "religious" figures come from is dark and somewhat "dirty" looking. These men (despite their powers, or perhaps to hide their own flaws) create an endless cycle of shit that they spew. (Think, a circle never ends or begins, it is coming from their mouths, like WORDS!)

Yet something breaks their cycle! These "strange" (or at least unfamiliar when compared to the "Religious Men") hands come forth and destroy the circle of ignorance.

Ok i don't get the "rock" scenes so i will skip that

Enter Tricky.
He too is different from the "Religious" types. He appears to be taller, he is dressed differently, and (perhaps most importantly) he has eyebrows. Perhaps they eyebrows are to represent something (an inner desire to search beyond the shit that has been placed on the table for you to digest?) .

Tricky leads a life that is completely outside of the world that the "Religious men" live in. He lives with a small clayman that has hands remarkably similar (!) to those that broke the shit cycle. I will ask you to see this "clayman" as some aspect as Tricky's self, or some part of his knowledge. All is fine until one day when something new appears. This new "Ball" seems to bear the same qualities as an object we would be likely to see in the world of the "Religious men". I take this "Ball" as being some manifestation of "Religion" or Religious values into Tricky's life. He comes in contact with it and shortly thereafter he starts to look outside of his "house" into the "Woods" (the unknown, woohoo that was a hard symbol to pick out). As he does the "Ball" destroys the small "Clayman" part of him. His screams of anger at the (now mutated , meaning that perhaps he had begun to put more faith into these belifes thus they had grown) "Religion Ball". Tricky then examines the part of himself that is now dead and lovingly caresses it's hand ("These were the hands that saved me, these are the hands that tried to warn me" or something like that is what i imagine).

Sickened by what has happened in his house, he leaves and enters the "UNKNOWN WOODS" (sounds like a place in a bad RPG) he finds a leaf (imagine that!, finding a LEAF in the WOODS!) and reaches enlightenment. Break Samsara, 3rd eye, becomes one with everything, nuff said.

Now i have intentionally left out several symbols that i see as blaringly obvious.. (shirts, colours of objects, apple, leaves, the "box" of mind expansion, etc, etc)

I am by no means asking anyone to see my "point of view" or anything i am just throwing out random ideas

So basically i see the video as being about a man who had broken through the bonds of religion that hold so many only to find out that he is lacking something, religion enters his life again and destroys some part of him and then he realized that true enlightenment comes through other things (such as personal appreciation of this world), NOT the cookie cutter belife system that contemporary organized religions had thrown at him all his life.

Of course by "religion" i do mean the opressive, organized, ones that we all know and fear.

oh well maybe i should shut up

faaip de oaid
12-24-2002, 09:19 AM
im really surprised no one had mentioned this, or maybe i just missed it.

the last minute or so of parabola when all the weird eyes and all that good stuff is going on, tricky is dying. im not sure how all this fits in the with the forest/leaf stuff, but...

if you go to http://www.alexgrey.com/a-gallery.html , and click on "dying" and youll see the same picture of a man surrounded by the eyes, looking like hes on his death bed. so im pretty sure hes dying, considering alex grey did the last minute or animation.

is tool saying that you recieve complete enlightenment/consciousness when you die? it sure would fit with the life/death theme of this song...

theologue
01-10-2003, 07:22 AM
The eyes in Alex Grey's painting, "Dying" are definatly connected to the eyes that are around the man after he picks up the leaf and everything in the Parabola video. But Alex Grey uses eyes in like every painting he does. I think that the eyes could mean that the person is now enlightened (and can "see"), or that the eyes are part of some sort of higher power, something that connects us; this concept is used all of the time in both Alex Grey's work and Tool's. In the painting "Dying" you also see a ghost-like figure rising out of the body, which symbolizes his soul and energy leaving his body. In the last minute of the Parabola video, there is nothing leaving his body. Again, i think this is because it symbolizes him gaining enlightenment.
For Tool's shows in their most recent tour they used backdrops designed by Alex Grey. One of the backdrops (called "Collective Vision") is the exact same "eye design" used in the Parabola video and in "Dying", except there are no people in the backdrop, only the eyes. Therefore, the eyes that are used in the video symbolize the collective vision. I'm not sure what the collective vision really means exactly, but it doesn't always have to do with dying.

nietzschepants
01-10-2003, 06:06 PM
not sure, but i think this is whats going on in the last minute:
Tricky touches the leaf, which catches fire (anyone know of any leaves that alter reality when burned?) the fire then sprouts an eye, a common theme of the entire album. the eye symbolizes tricky's wish to gain an objective view of himself. as the eye traverses up tricky's body, it multiplies, thus showing tricky's increased self awareness. an explanation of the tracing of the veins and electric energy "hair" that sprouts on tricky's body can be found at http://www.deoxy.org/leary.htm
the symbols that show up in tricky's torso and head are the seven centers of chakra, which are supposed to be focusing points for body energy. (as i recall, the sixth chakra, located behind the forehead, is known as the THIRD EYE) the seventh symbol, originating above the head, is the most important of the points, and is chiefly concerned with extra sensory phenomena, higher thinking and unity with the universe. normally viewed as a thousand-petaled chrysanthemum (which symbolizes infinity) the seventh point is supposed to be all seeing. which explains the entire video really, when used in conjunction with the analysis of the original post. having freed himself from religion, he goes into the unknown (woods) and unlocks his full potential as a human being, thus enabling him to become one with the universe (meaning he could see everywhere). many of these themes are idiosyncratic of tool's entire career. thank you for reading this somewhat long winded text. spiral out.

xifeelphreex
02-03-2003, 08:24 PM
About those eyes and the Alex Grey connection (which is obvious), go back to http://www.alexgrey.com/a-gallery.html and look at Oversoul. That was the picture that came to mind when I first saw the Parabola video. A friend of mine from India told me that the figure in Oversoul resembles the most supreme or a higher god in the Hindu religion. Of course he might have been bullshitting me (which he loves to do), but it's possible. It seems that Tricky is finding enlightenment when these transformations take place, so either way it seems to me he's becoming one with god. He also physically connects with the fabrics of space and time (see Theologue), and becomes one with the object that killed his friend. This may be relating to the theory that all things, good and bad are connected and indeed the same. Someone please shed some light onto that part though because I'm lost.

ThinkForURself
02-04-2003, 09:41 PM
If you look at alex grey's chapel of the sacred mirrors, there is a transformation of humans from the material world and then into spiritual energy, which than becomes the universal mind lattice. The picture for the universal mind lattice is exactly the same as at the en of the video when tricky becomes the blue spiritual energy. So maybe he has become part of some ultimate state of being. Just grasping at straws. I highly recommend lookingat alex greys Chapel of the sacred mirrors, it is very aestheitcally pleasing.Spiral Out

Taliesin
02-05-2003, 09:39 AM
The three old men doing the ritual at the beginning are probably supposed to be freemasons, an organization Tool has always been fascinated with. The doctor bag and the knife clothed in velvet(?) looked the same as the one Jack the Ripper used in "From Hell," in which he was a freemason.

The stone has to do with time in that it is a symbol for the ancient ways. As the stone is being broken, Maynard sings "we barely remember, who or what came before this precious moment . . ." Tricky pushing over the stone is symbolic of someone breaking free from religious/societal constraints and feeling the power around them and within them.

Tricky himself is probably an astral representation of a shaman. His appearance is primal and dangerous, yet wise. He cares for the clay man, who lives with him in their constrained house. The shaman has great power there, worshipping and dealing with a primitive god-figure (the face made of branches).

However, the clay man and his own body are representations of how he is caught up in his mortal flesh, his "body of clay." The multiplying balloon-thing is like a cell or embryo dividing, showing the shaman his own organic side ("be my reminder here that I am not alone"). When the balloon destroys the clay man, it is an act of empowerment, the body's willingness preceding the mind's acceptance, the mark of a true shaman.

When he then ventures into the woods, it represents freedom as well as the unknown, and finding the leaf is like realizing a long-lost part of himself, he and the leaf both being the only very colorful things in the video.

The end, or course, is empowerment and transcendence and unification and all that jazz.