PDA

View Full Version : Simple Forecast

AYellow_Bedwett
12-23-2002, 09:40 PM
If there is one song on Lateralus that I think should be free of subjection to over-analyzing, it's this one. Hard as this may be to believe, maybe it's just a calm, catchy little ditty about weather, change...with no greater intended meaning. This is hardly 'typical Maynard', but what do any of us know about what he thinks when he (or any of the other guys) write, anyway? I know that's the whole point of the opinion board...to break down things, spill out viewpoints, analyze things from as many different perspectives as there are people registered on the board. But I think that, just for once, this song isn't about too much more than it says. It doesn't lack depth or substance or beauty...far from it. It's got ample amounts of all of those, but at the same time, this is one of the very few TooL songs I can just relax and enjoy, and not have to try and explain or justify some 'ulterior songwriting motive' to it...I like that kind of simplicity. It sets an extremely personal, vivid scene for me, and I don't have to waste time thinking about what Maynard REALLY meant when writing this...that seems blissfully aparent, for some reason.

I usually love pretending that I'm 'in' on what the artist was really writing about, being an active part of the inside joke or meaning ("Forty-Six & 2", "Ænema", "Stinkfist", "Ticks and Leeches"...), just as most of the band's fans seem to be...it gives us a greater sense of community, and possibly even the illussion of higher connection with the band or songs themselves. Whatever. That's all well and good, but one of the things that I've really discovered as of late is that, the more I break down each song, where it comes from, and what Maynard's intended meaning was, the colder the peice becomes, a most fortunate occurrence indeed. I say, let "Disposition" be without some secret meaning, some hidden gag, some THING we're all missing. I don't entertain the thought of being taunted by something I enjoy so much, so just let it be. And watch the weather...change.

"Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?"
-M. Simpson