PDA

View Full Version : stolen song

IC
01-21-2004, 01:44 PM
choke as in your throat clenching up?

my parents were in a rock band for 25 years, and their manager went and stole about a year's salary's worth of their money. I was listening to this song while thinking of that, and it put me on a different thought.

maybe someone stole a song of theirs? when they go to play it live, their should 'Choke' as in totally mess up in and etc.

or, is this about programs like kazaa or napster? they have shown their opinions of such things in the past

AllforUnity
01-23-2004, 12:04 PM
l think this song is about the fans and the record producers, all together.

g-bay-be
02-07-2004, 08:38 AM
THIS IS WHY YOU DONT DOWNLOAD TOOL!!!!!!!! you will choke

dont sownload Jay z either he's the man

astaroth
02-16-2004, 12:46 AM
I look at the song in relation too the way i percieve the album as a whole, the story of a breakdown in a relationship with Ticks and leeches the most angry part of the break up. tied in well with this song is The grudge, it is the beginning of the feelings of malice and Ticks and leeches is where you finally snap. The Patient is the closest related. The person who is telling the story lets us know in that how the person is getting fed up with the way this person is acting (line:"this paranoid, paralised vampire acts a little old"). The patient continues to go on to say that "if there was no desire to heal, no loving embrace to see me through i certainly would have walked away by now......and i still may." The desire to heal is to build on the communication and try and sort things out, hoping that this person will drop the act and realise what they're doing. Quite obviously by Ticks and leeches the person has ticked the other off so much that they finally do walk away.....the patience has worn thin "working up under my patience like a little Tick" But they are not gonna walk away quietly, gotta let this person know that they're pretty hurt "I hope this is what you wanted, hope this is what you had in mind, cuz this is what your getting......" But because the album tells the story in no set order, you have to place the songs in a different order....make all the pieces fit together to follow the relationships disintegration and eventual resolution (disposition/reflection/triad). Just my interpretation of the album. The thing to remember is that Lateralus and all tool songs will have different meanings for each and evryone of us, i found meaning in it this way cuz i could relate to it. You could be right, but as i said just my interpretation.
thankyou for your time, Astaroth

Chaos Theory
02-17-2004, 09:20 PM
...the album tells the story in no set order, you have to place the songs in a different order....make all the pieces fit together to follow the relationships disintegration and eventual resolution (disposition/reflection/triad).

That's an interesting take on the album. It seems that the most logical order of the songs (to me, at least) without the segues would be:

Parabol/Parabola (when the relationship is still working... there seems to be little negativity in the track)
The Patient
The Grudge
Ticks and Leeches
Schism
Dis/Ref/Tri
Lateralus (accept what comes next)

Talonwulf
03-03-2004, 12:31 PM
OK tyhis is stupid. "Dont download Tool! The song is about people downloading it! Dont do it cos Maynard doesnt approve of it!"

WROOONG! U know the song USEFUL IDIOT. Makes it sound liek CD might be broken... to an idiot. So they go out and buy another one.

Tool sing against the close minded. They seem to hate sheep, who give money to follow sumthin [like religion]. When uu buying their albums, guess what ure doing?

So yea go ahead and give em aaaaaaaall your money on their merchandise. Thats REALLY what they want. What Tool say is completely ironic to people like u... if u havent noticed alredy

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Talonwulf
03-03-2004, 12:37 PM
actually yea, tool do want u to do it. Cos they know they can laugh at night at the idiots who scream "I HAVE ALL OF TOOLS ALBUMS, AND I KNOW THE MEANINGS OF ALL THEIR SONGS! AND I FOLLOW THEM!"

quite amusing for myself i must say. I myself like Tool, they are my favourite band. Have i bought nayhting from them? Nah. Just a tee-shirt so they could buy sumthin from the money i gave em, and to "spread the word" [no one here in my town know who tool are, and are all... well sheep so im hoping theyll get a bitty more open minded],

Will i go see em live? Yes. But only in the basis of i liek their music, not to get a teaching. I know what theyre songs mean, and i do follow what they say. But I already realised all of it before i lsitened to Tool. Tool is jsut liek a catalyst, somethign that speeds up my awareness.

Too confusing to explain. You wil ljsut have to find the feeling when it comes to you. All i can say is ur all sheep. Maybe not 100% sheep, but if ur giving them ur money cos u think they are clever, then yup, ur a sheep.

corps d'allumen
03-06-2004, 09:22 AM
I'm one of those people who puts a $1 in the collection plate and takes $10 out. (*?)
Fuck it man. punch the cleric in the eye, take the plate and run...

ĆnimaticEnigma
03-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Umm... Where to start. Ok I don't think it's about fans downloading shit. Reason Being: if bands under big label contracts never toured or anything outside of cd's, they'd make 1/3 the salary of the average convience store clerk. In 2001, when "Song Stealing" was at its peak, so were the music industry's sales. It's like an advertisement of an advertisement (yes, cd's are basically ad's for tours, etc.) Most bands didn't even care about P2P sharing, only the labels did. Research it if you don't believe me

deathoughts
05-06-2004, 05:46 AM
Its About Greedy People.......

no more fuckin idiots please...

talonwulf you are a dick...no offence...

suck up all the money you can... i would give a million dollars to hear tool over a thousand times..

your calling me the fool for liking them...who gives a shit...

they are merely messiahs...

write back ..

peace

DeletedMember
05-09-2004, 06:12 AM
No way is it about illegal dowloading. None of the songs are. Do you Tool fns honestly think they would be that blunt?? No fucking way. If anything, Tool is about not taking things at face value. No way in fucking hell would Tool write a song about illegal downloading. The album is about, like someone else said, the steps of a relationship. Who ever tried to put them in order earlier, I think was a little off. I believe Schism would come earlier. Because he is saying that in order to keep the relationship alive, they need to strengthen communication. As in, the relationship is still there, but is starting to fall apart.

Define_Normal
05-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Yeah like he said it isn't about stealing songs of the internet. I read in an interview with Maynard where he talked about how he didn't really care much about the illegal downloading except that he wished that peopel would understand how hard it is to make money in the business. The record comapnies get a lot of money so like it takes like selling a million records to earn a decent amount. Anyway i agree with some of the other posts about how it was about a relationship between two people. Tool is so deep their songs can be interpretated in many ways almost to where each fan can make up their own meaning for songs. Then they show a more comical side so people can learn not to take everything so seriously.

tool

my shadow
07-31-2004, 05:53 PM

oh my god...i hope u are kidding!?

GAiDEN-CHaKRa
11-30-2004, 06:24 AM
but if ur giving them ur money cos u think they are clever, then yup, ur a sheep.

You know, some people do like to buy their merchandise because they actually like the band. How does that make us sheep?

ARMZ
12-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Perhaps the song is a reflection of whats posted below, taken from a Penthouse interview.
Thank fuck it all worked out in the end and we still have tool.
http://communities.ninemsn.com/LearntoSwimcom/articalstranscrips.msnw

"Despite tool's multiplatinum cred, lateralus may prove a hard sell.
while their brooding atmosphereicsand angular guitar lines inspired such
current monster acts as korn,limp bizkit, and deftones, tool hasn't
produced any new music in 4 years. it's last studio disc, the double
platinum aenima, was released in 1996, and since then the group has been
plagued with contract negotiations, lawsuits and crippling
miscommunication.

shortly after aenima hit the shelves, tool's then label, bmg subsidiary
zoo entertainment ran short of money and nearly folded. then, after the
record sold it's 1st million copies, the band was handed a dissapointing
royalty check. "it was something really insulting like ten
grand," grumbles keenan."that's where it all started. when we discovered
that they forgot to pick up the option to our contract, we said 'that's
it. we're out of here.' " zoo refused to back down without a
fight, and a protracted legal battle ensued that not only left tool in
recording limbo, but also sapped it's creative juices and artistic
hunger. " we were ready to bail because we were'nt making music together
anymore," says carey. " we'd just get together to talk about what we
were gonna do with this lawyer or that lawyer- all this business shit."

GAiDEN-CHaKRa
12-03-2004, 06:09 AM
thank god they are still together

eonbluekarma
03-06-2005, 01:22 PM
actually yea, tool do want u to do it. Cos they know they can laugh at night at the idiots who scream "I HAVE ALL OF TOOLS ALBUMS, AND I KNOW THE MEANINGS OF ALL THEIR SONGS! AND I FOLLOW THEM!"

quite amusing for myself i must say. I myself like Tool, they are my favourite band. Have i bought nayhting from them? Nah. Just a tee-shirt so they could buy sumthin from the money i gave em, and to "spread the word" [no one here in my town know who tool are, and are all... well sheep so im hoping theyll get a bitty more open minded],

Will i go see em live? Yes. But only in the basis of i liek their music, not to get a teaching. I know what theyre songs mean, and i do follow what they say. But I already realised all of it before i lsitened to Tool. Tool is jsut liek a catalyst, somethign that speeds up my awareness.

Too confusing to explain. You wil ljsut have to find the feeling when it comes to you. All i can say is ur all sheep. Maybe not 100% sheep, but if ur giving them ur money cos u think they are clever, then yup, ur a sheep.

Yes im sure tool doesnt want you to buy anything they sell.......what?

Fractal
03-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Yes im sure tool doesnt want you to buy anything they sell.......what?
--hahahaa! that's what I was thinking.
i really don't think that they are opposed to people buying their records. i don't think you're stupid for buying a tool shirt--some are awesome! i would wear those shirts even without a tool insignia on them! and the music is good. remember, it's the music INDUSTRY. key word: INDUSTRY. listen to what you want. the whole point to not being a sheep is doing things becuase YOU want to do them. the greatest enemy of the major record companies are consumers who walk into a record shop and pick an album based upon personal preference, not hype. and by the way, i would pay a lot of money to see tool. if you've seen them(or haven't...it's pretty dark during the show) you know why.
--as for the meaning behind ticks and leeches, i've already said i think it has to do with burning a bird and felatio. in other words, it could be about anyone. the worst thing you can do to someone who pisses you off is not let them know it bugs you. "is this what you wanted? is this what you had in mind? cuz this is what your getting. I hope you choke." my dad tells me this is 'twisting their guts'. when the people who work for him are being dicks he says stuff to them like 'is this a bad day? should i maybe come back and ask you when you're feeling better?'. and they choke. you consume them and instead of giving them hate and anger, you've interrupted the cycle and turned it around. smile, don't be mad. that's what they want.

5th Eye
03-10-2005, 09:48 AM
^ I think you're absolutely right, Fractal. I think the theme of T&L goes with the rest of the relationship theme of the album. And, if I had money, I'd pay to see Tool. And buy more shirts, because they're cool shirts.

Tyson
03-22-2005, 10:20 PM
WROOONG! U know the song USEFUL IDIOT. Makes it sound liek CD might be broken... to an idiot. So they go out and buy another one.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa

What? If anyone thought their cd was broken after hearing useful idiot they deserve whatever was coming to them.

It's a barb at communism.

5th Eye
03-23-2005, 09:23 AM
It's a barb at communism.RUSSIAN communism, actually. Real communism works, in theory. It's just that everyone who's tried messed it up...but I don't really want to begin a political debate...

Led Grudge
04-12-2005, 06:23 AM
RUSSIAN communism, actually. Real communism works, in theory. It's just that everyone who's tried messed it up...but I don't really want to begin a political debate...

Here we go.......

bluefire
04-12-2005, 03:52 PM
RUSSIAN communism, actually. Real communism works, in theory. It's just that everyone who's tried messed it up...but I don't really want to begin a political debate...

Works in theory maybe if you don't consider human nature...

Raev'n
04-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Yeah human nature sucks rectum (write that down). Communism was meant to be utopian and then America came along...................

Navid
04-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Regardless of what exactly the song is about, I really like the concept of confounding the other persons anger by being passive in the confrontation (as mentioned by Fractal). Knowing they're trying to suck away your blood, egging them on to "suck and suck" - with the hope that they'll choke.
Some great emotion in this song (as with most, I guess). I'd really like to hear it live. Shame it takes such a toll on Maynards voice

miketh74
09-07-2007, 09:45 PM

I guess you're one of these geniuses that thinks Tool shirts now actually say 'fool'? I bet you walk towards a sheep standing at the edge of a cliff if you know what I mean.

Inner_Eulogy
09-17-2007, 07:22 PM
I guess you're one of these geniuses that thinks Tool shirts now actually say 'fool'? I bet you walk towards a sheep standing at the edge of a cliff if you know what I mean.

They kinda do say Fool.....but I think the subliminal meaning is that the beginning and end (from the T to the L) have all been connected. Or something like that.

Tool_Is_Sick
09-18-2007, 01:57 PM
THIS IS WHY YOU DONT DOWNLOAD TOOL!!!!!!!! you will choke

Jay-z? Arent we on a TOOL website? Tool and Jay-z in the same musical library for one person. Thats just plain weird.

Inner_Eulogy
09-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Jay-z? Arent we on a TOOL website? Tool and Jay-z in the same musical library for one person. Thats just plain weird.

No, if it weren't then it just makes you the simple steretypical type of person that has a very limited taste.

My library has many different kinds of music from Garth Brooks and Kenny Chesney, to 50 Cent, 2Pac, Eminen, to Bob Marley, to Jamiroqui, to The Steve Miller Band, Lynard Skynard, Tom Petty, to 3 Doors Down, Sublime, Nirvana, to Slipknot, Opeth, to Linkin Park to The Chemical Brothers......the list goes on and on and that's maybe 3%. I have about 350 different CD's and the style of music is A to Z pretty much.

Tool of course is top on my list and always will be but there's NOTHING wierd about having variety in your life. As a matter fact, in doing so keeps an open mind and a better understanding of life in general...sure, I can be a cynical asshole at times, but I'm also very in touch with life and people and how it all works....NOT having an open variety?..Well, that just makes ya' plain boring.

And to all you so called AVID Tool fans, you musta' forgot that their whole point is to 'swing on the spiral" enjoy life and everything it has to offer or you will never will have lived at all.

It's a shame to see somebody say such a thing.

Right on you with Jay Z...I've got every album myself

Eulogy33
09-18-2007, 04:22 PM
hmm..?

slamminsalmon
09-18-2007, 04:23 PM
i always thought of it as there answer to people saying aenima wasnt as heavy or raw as undertow.

miketh74
09-20-2007, 07:01 AM
i always thought of it as there answer to people saying aenima wasnt as heavy or raw as undertow.

Totally agree with that.

Tool_Is_Sick
09-25-2007, 10:18 PM
No, if it weren't then it just makes you the simple steretypical type of person that has a very limited taste.

My library has many different kinds of music from Garth Brooks and Kenny Chesney, to 50 Cent, 2Pac, Eminen, to Bob Marley, to Jamiroqui, to The Steve Miller Band, Lynard Skynard, Tom Petty, to 3 Doors Down, Sublime, Nirvana, to Slipknot, Opeth, to Linkin Park to The Chemical Brothers......the list goes on and on and that's maybe 3%. I have about 350 different CD's and the style of music is A to Z pretty much.

Tool of course is top on my list and always will be but there's NOTHING wierd about having variety in your life. As a matter fact, in doing so keeps an open mind and a better understanding of life in general...sure, I can be a cynical asshole at times, but I'm also very in touch with life and people and how it all works....NOT having an open variety?..Well, that just makes ya' plain boring.

And to all you so called AVID Tool fans, you musta' forgot that their whole point is to 'swing on the spiral" enjoy life and everything it has to offer or you will never will have lived at all.

It's a shame to see somebody say such a thing.

Right on you with Jay Z...I've got every album myself

Well...I love alot of different styles of music as well such as def leapord, metallica, ozzy, anthrax, rammstein, chevelle, three days grace, 3 doors down, even gravity kills, a little kenny g, to various types of techno, Country is "Okay," but Rap is not in my library of music I enjoy.

Rap, in my opinion, is garbage. it does not take much talent or skill to get on stage talkin about how many girls you had sex with or how many cars you have while you have a "producer" making the sound/beat for you. I would love to watch Snoop dog play the guitar/drums/bass anything but hold a mic and talk. I believe rap also degrades woman but that topic is for another day. Rap is fuckin stupid.

I wish i could make millions of dollars by holding a mic and saying how kool i am and how much BLING i have. its crap to me. I hope my beloved tool fans in here dont bash me for "hating" rap but it is what it is i guess. Peace. LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL.

5th Eye
09-26-2007, 04:06 AM
^ good post.

Tool_Is_Sick
09-26-2007, 08:23 AM
If you're talking about today's "rap", which is just hyped up dance music with dumbasses shouting over it (that means you, lil' jon), I wholeheartedly agree.

But in the case of Run DMC, Houdini, Grandmaster Flash... the old school, basically, and even select members of the G-Funk days, as well as the more "alternative" rappers like Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, and Atmosphere... these guys aren't just holding a mic and talking. They take things that are relevant to themselves, society, subgroups of people, the entire nation, what have you, and turn them into lyrical masterpieces through use of rhythm and rhyme.

If you really think it doesn't take any talent or skill to reach their level, I challenge you to grab the mic and stand up on stage in a crowd full of angry clubgoers and actually win a freestyle battle. I'm fairly sure it'll show you just how much you have to learn.

Love the post. I really do. but like i said I just dont like the style of rap. that is my opinion and i am going to stick with it. All the new rap is fuckin terrible. Party like a rock star? but anyway, i am going to go out on a limb here and say that Biggy and 2pac are the ONLY rappers worth listening too. and MAYBE some "Jay-z" they wrote song dealing with the world, politics, living better lives, and what not. When i hear this new shit on the radio, i just shake my head and almost get depressed. I just dont like rap but i can deal with some old school songs in a party atmosphere.

Tool_Is_Sick
09-26-2007, 08:50 AM
and I agree with you. Rap is my least favorite type of music. thats all I am saying.

Inner_Eulogy
09-26-2007, 09:36 AM
If you're talking about today's "rap", which is just hyped up dance music with dumbasses shouting over it (that means you, lil' jon), I wholeheartedly agree.

But in the case of Run DMC, Houdini, Grandmaster Flash... the old school, basically, and even select members of the G-Funk days, as well as the more "alternative" rappers like Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, and Atmosphere... these guys aren't just holding a mic and talking. They take things that are relevant to themselves, society, subgroups of people, the entire nation, what have you, and turn them into lyrical masterpieces through use of rhythm and rhyme.

If you really think it doesn't take any talent or skill to reach their level, I challenge you to grab the mic and stand up on stage in a crowd full of angry clubgoers and actually win a freestyle battle. I'm fairly sure it'll show you just how much you have to learn.

Agreed, although I haven't heard any of these "alternative" rappers you mentioned but, not ALL rap is about blunts, 40's and bitches..lol There's a lot of rap that's very good and tells a good story. Some of the old Geto Boyz stuff was great story telling, like Eminem is nowadays, really good at painting a picture or capturing a moment with words. I agree that there's a lot of rap out there that's complete bullshit and I don't even understand how it got made...let's see "shake that Laffy Taffy, that Laffy Taffy" I mean what the fuck is that bullshit, "my hump, my hump my hump" fucking retarded (those just small examples of horrble music and people running out of "GOOD DECENT original ideas".

Inner_Eulogy
09-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I can respect that you don't like the style; that's opinion, that's subjective, that can't be proven wrong, and thus I won't try. I'm just trying to convey that while the current generation of rappers has no talent whatsoever, not all rappers are talentless.

I beg to differ, there's still some good rappers out nowadays. Eminem is awesome the way he puts lyrics together. Jay Z still makes good music, some of NAS's stuff is good, Kanye West (albeit needs to get fucking smacked like the whiny bitch he is) does make some good positive music to name just a few. I grew up listening only to Rap until I was about 16 when I started broadening my horizons with everything else. To date Tool is and always be my favorite but I'll always have love for some ghetto shit.

miketh74
09-26-2007, 03:01 PM
I beg to differ, there's still some good rappers out nowadays. Eminem is awesome the way he puts lyrics together. Jay Z still makes good music, some of NAS's stuff is good, Kanye West (albeit needs to get fucking smacked like the whiny bitch he is) does make some good positive music to name just a few. I grew up listening only to Rap until I was about 16 when I started broadening my horizons with everything else. To date Tool is and always be my favorite but I'll always have love for some ghetto shit.

What ever happened to 2 Live Crew? LOL

One of the only REAL rap bands I had respect for....because they introduced something new, not ghetto violence.

Eulogy33
09-26-2007, 06:19 PM
M 2 da Nard.

miketh74
09-30-2007, 09:45 AM
M 2 da Nard.

Nardy.....LMAO!!

miketh74
10-01-2007, 04:51 PM
I just hate the lack of musical ability in rap. IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME!!

But I would not discredit anyone's musical taste because of this flaw.....

:)

5th Eye
10-01-2007, 04:55 PM
I just hate the lack of musical ability in rap. IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME!!

Then you haven't really listened to it, have you?

miketh74
10-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Then you haven't really listened to it, have you?

Why, yes I have...

I'm just of the opinion that it follows the same pulse. No real breakthroughs in rap. Nothing surprising, just.........

boom...boom...boom...boom...boom...boom...

Unless you speak of the older rap groups. When you could actually call it rap.

But like I said...just MY opinion and I don't discredit anyone.

5th Eye
10-01-2007, 05:05 PM
No, I'm speaking of the more obscure stuff.

miketh74
10-01-2007, 05:23 PM
No, I'm speaking of the more obscure stuff.

Obscure rap?

If you're talking about the less popular stuff, yes, it does have a little more musical influence. But that's why it's obscure. The modern generation prefers it that way for dance clubs, parties, and what not.

I have to be able to tolerate good music. I'd rather listen to classical. It's much more stimulating. And no I am not racist or bias.

5th Eye
10-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Who cares what the modern generation listens to? I don't. Classical is good shit indeed. And liking certain music has nothing to do with racism.

miketh74
10-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Who cares what the modern generation listens to? I don't. Classical is good shit indeed. And liking certain music has nothing to do with racism.

Oh, I know. That's why I threw that out there right away. I have been accused of not liking rap for that reason.

And I'm just saying that certain rap is obscure because of today's generation falling in line with the same type of "dance beat rap" (for lack of a better term).

I correct myself then...not "ALL" rap sounds the same. I just can't seem to dig it like some people can. That and some R&B.

5th Eye
10-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Fair enough.

(Ironically, my favorite rap artists are all white.)

miketh74
10-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Fair enough.

Yes, I do like Eminem.

Curiously, what kind of classical do you like?

5th Eye
10-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Haha. I was talking about Aesop Rock.

As far as classical, I don't have a whole lot yet, but my current favorites are Stravinsky, Gustav Holst, and Béla Bartók.

miketh74
10-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Haha. I was talking about Aesop Rock.

As far as classical, I don't have a whole lot yet, but my current favorites are Stravinsky, Gustav Holst, and Béla Bartók.

Good stuff indeed.

I'm partial to Mozart (of course) and Tchaikovsky.

Keep listening.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Fair enough.

I actually listened to nothing but rap when i was in high school. Smoking weed with my so called "friends" with the subwoofers blasting in my explorer...dressed fuckin gangster with my white T's haha so yeah i have come a long way...now i cant stand the sound of rap for many reasons and not just the reasons of musical inability. I am now a city living rocker that listens to Tool in my f-150 driving by people in the "ghetto" part of town thinking to myself...."Do you know what Tool is about or any music with a message or are you just a fuckin loser that is going to sell drugs and listen to misleading/negative/hopeless rap music for the rest of your life?" I dont know why I am saying this but i thought i would let everyone know how I was only a few years ago and how Tool has changed my life Im not going to get into detail and I am sure most of you are saying "Thank god" so just use your imagination on why i hate rap as much as I do. So Please everyone laugh at me and call me names. Thanks Have a good day.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-02-2007, 11:54 AM
I can relate to a band changing lives, I have the name of the band that kept me sane in the darkest part of my life tatted on my right arm because it changed my life. So I empathize.

I need to hook you up with some actual lyrically talented rap. Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, Sage Francis. You'll like that.

I appreciate the thought man thanks. Im curious...who is the band on your right arm that got you through the dark times?

SilverGrudge
10-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure if this has been said in the previous post (cause i didn't bother to read them) but i always thought this song was about how as Tool started changing their sound and experiment a little more some fans began to bitch and whine about how they were selling out and leaving their roots. so this song is basically telling all those types of fans to shut the fuck up (maybe not shut the fuck up, but atleast choke on your own words) and let them (tool) do what they want. and they say this all while placing the message within a song that shows fans that they can still bust some nuts. so it's basically like "Yeah we can still make songs that sound heavy and make you go ape-shit, but we're moving on and so should you."

THE END

miketh74
10-13-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure if this has been said in the previous post (cause i didn't bother to read them) but i always thought this song was about how as Tool started changing their sound and experiment a little more some fans began to bitch and whine about how they were selling out and leaving their roots. so this song is basically telling all those types of fans to shut the fuck up (maybe not shut the fuck up, but atleast choke on your own words) and let them (tool) do what they want. and they say this all while placing the message within a song that shows fans that they can still bust some nuts. so it's basically like "Yeah we can still make songs that sound heavy and make you go ape-shit, but we're moving on and so should you."

THE END

Well said. I can't decide if it's about the fans or about the record companies.

I see both sides of view.

miketh74
10-14-2007, 05:18 PM
No laughing allowed.

Deftones.

Deftones rock.....Around the Fur......hell ya.

I wouldn't laugh.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-14-2007, 09:25 PM
What song did you turn to the most when times were rough?

I get down to the deftones man. My twin sister is in love with chino. haha anyway, the album around the fur is awesome but i would say that digital bath on white pony is my favorite. Alot of emotion in that song. I dont listen to them alot but i can tolerate them. Elite gets me hyped up as well. Rivek, dude next time please dont go into a post thinking that everyone is going to laugh at you man. Thats just showing you dont have confidence in your opinions and even if someone laughs at you just fuck em'...like who the fuck are they to you ya know? Sorry im being Dr. Phil but anyway...Deftones kick ass but TOOL is better. haha. Peace man.

Obscenename
10-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Yeah because N.W.A. sucks.
Ice Cube? That guy! He's all bullshit! He really didn't do any of the shit hes talking about in his music. Oh wait, he did. Easy E? All bullshit!
And what is wrong with stupid songs that are just fun to dance to? Not every song has to be some deep work of art. If it can an entire room of people dancing together, that in itself speaks volumes.

Inner_Eulogy
10-16-2007, 09:33 AM
I actually listened to nothing but rap when i was in high school. Smoking weed with my so called "friends" with the subwoofers blasting in my explorer...dressed fuckin gangster with my white T's haha so yeah i have come a long way...now i cant stand the sound of rap for many reasons and not just the reasons of musical inability. I am now a city living rocker that listens to Tool in my f-150 driving by people in the "ghetto" part of town thinking to myself...."Do you know what Tool is about or any music with a message or are you just a fuckin loser that is going to sell drugs and listen to misleading/negative/hopeless rap music for the rest of your life?" I dont know why I am saying this but i thought i would let everyone know how I was only a few years ago and how Tool has changed my life Im not going to get into detail and I am sure most of you are saying "Thank god" so just use your imagination on why i hate rap as much as I do. So Please everyone laugh at me and call me names. Thanks Have a good day.

That to me is shallow. Either you were a poser then ot you're being a poser now. The very same music you loved so much then you are now against. You may as well execute a murderer and then say you're against the death penalty. I as well have said that there's plenty of rap out there that is complete crap but, I've never turned my back on it. I try to keep my mind open to all things. You talk about this situation you had as if you were a reborn Toolian with no regard to anything else. If ya' ask me, I'd say that it was pretty lame....but we're all entitled to our opinions. This one is mine.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-16-2007, 10:01 PM
I should open my mind to rap music and try to gain something positive about the material but I have come to hate rap music because people who I thought were my friends...totally said fuck you behind my back so whenever i hear anything that reminds me of the rap I listened too...I dont wanna fuckin hear it. Plain and Simple. IN MY OPINON, Rap is nothing but negative messages with the same damn beats. Its kool with me if you say that its lame...thats your call but you dont know what kind of manipulative bullshit I went through dude. Rap will be the first to die in the future of music..Have a good day my friend...

How About them Damn Flyers!!! 4-1 Baby!

Inner_Eulogy
10-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Actually I hope emo is the first to die in the future of music...

That is the only musical movement I entirely can't stand

I'm not even sure what Emo is or how it came about or who falls into "emo" catergory but I do know that I hate that damn word. Emo, sounds like a new word for gay.

Inner_Eulogy
10-17-2007, 09:38 AM
I should open my mind to rap music and try to gain something positive about the material but I have come to hate rap music because people who I thought were my friends...totally said fuck you behind my back so whenever i hear anything that reminds me of the rap I listened too...I dont wanna fuckin hear it. Plain and Simple. IN MY OPINON, Rap is nothing but negative messages with the same damn beats. Its kool with me if you say that its lame...thats your call but you dont know what kind of manipulative bullshit I went through dude. Rap will be the first to die in the future of music..Have a good day my friend...

How About them Damn Flyers!!! 4-1 Baby!

Understandable but, you're subjecting your experience with your friends onto rap music when they actually have nothing in common. However, I do sympathize with you because anything on Tv or music that has to do with being cheated on pisses me off and I cannot bear it...logically I know it has nothing to do with her directly but, I cannot help but have those feelings regurgitate if you will. On another note, I really don't know why I'm defending rap anyways. I think I'll add a note to "Identifying with the Angels" thread again on that subject.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-17-2007, 01:59 PM
its kool man i see what your saying about subjecting myself but its like whenever i hear rap music i think about my past and it pisses me off. I just cant bear to listen to that garbage anymore, but if you like rap...you like rap. thats your decision. I am just standing by mine. Rap is Dead to me.

About the Emo thing, lol yeah it does sound like the new word for gay. Everytime i hear that word i think of the seasme street charcter Elmo obviously because they sound alike..so yeah it is pretty gay.

Rivek...Inner and I wanna know exactly what emo is? I think we are both lost. Enlighten us my friend. Cheers.

Inner_Eulogy
10-17-2007, 04:44 PM
its kool man i see what your saying about subjecting myself but its like whenever i hear rap music i think about my past and it pisses me off. I just cant bear to listen to that garbage anymore, but if you like rap...you like rap. thats your decision. I am just standing by mine. Rap is Dead to me.

About the Emo thing, lol yeah it does sound like the new word for gay. Everytime i hear that word i think of the seasme street charcter Elmo obviously because they sound alike..so yeah it is pretty gay.

Rivek...Inner and I wanna know exactly what emo is? I think we are both lost. Enlighten us my friend. Cheers.

Yeah, reference some bands that are considered to be gay, I mean Emo.

miketh74
10-17-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm not even sure what Emo is or how it came about or who falls into "emo" catergory but I do know that I hate that damn word. Emo, sounds like a new word for gay.

LOL.....does sound kinda gay.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I work with this chick that is in love with fall out boy and i always make fun of her for it. I just say shit like Fall Out boy sucks and whatnot. She gets so pissed and says "Go Listen to your gay fuckin TOOL Tim I swear I hate you!!" I actually start to laugh most of the time because she is absolutely clueless about music, whats good and whats not...One of those dumb girls that think they know everything. So yeah she keeps me entertained when i am around her. Sorry to ramble on about it. So..Yeah Fuck Fall Out Boy. I hope one day a fall out boy fan reads this. haha Peace

Dont lie Inner...you know you love some fall out boy!! Dont lie to us!!