PDA

View Full Version : evolution theory

æonblue
12-23-2002, 07:27 AM
here it is, my grand interpretation of eulogy (note sarcasm, don't take this too literally). the two-minute instrumental intro, if you can call it that, is a representation of the process of evolution. It gradually gets more and more complex, with new noises and sounds being added to it as it progresses (you can even hear maynard vocalizing towards the end). then it stops. why does it stop? Beliefs. With the introduction of humans to the earth, a new thought process is introduced. We have the ability to reason. And what to we do with the things we can't reason about? We make up beliefs to fill that void. So people miss out on the ability to think about the unanswered because they're told what to believe. The song is about beliefs and not a single person It uses Jesus as its "focus" to convey a far deeper message, much like Opiate. Also remember that this was one of the first songs written for ænima and was written with Paul (they played it in '95 when Paul was still in the band, along with Stinkfist and Pushit). I regard Opiate and Undertow as being albums that touch mainly on religion and beliefs. With the exceptions of Prison Sex and 4 degrees, I have an almost purely belief-based interpretation of every song on Undertow. It was the subject of many of the songs, if not all of them prior to ænima, so it makes sense that one of the first songs written for it would touch on it as well (I also think Pushit does, see my post there). Also, after the climatic "Goodbye" (the abondoning of beliefs), doesn't the ending riff sound like a continuation of the intro part (albeit a harder one), the one that represents evolution? Is it a coincidence that it resumes after beliefs are gone?

So that's the message, much like I said before. It's about the need to abandon beliefs for ideas so we can continue with our evolution. Once you believe something and regard it as true, you stop thinking about that part of existance, and the goal is to think about all aspects of existance. Never stop questioning. That's the key to evolution. Remember folks, "Evolution didn't stop with us growing thumbs," as Bill Hicks once said. And, of course, the next step in our evolutionary course is FUTANT, as mentioned in the liner notes. Let us all think about everything, so 'we can evolve and get the fuck off this planet.'

larips
01-15-2003, 08:56 PM
Aeon. Hate to do this, but I saw you asking for replies on so many different posts that I thought I'd oblige. Your idea about the song and evolution is a good and original one, and you make a compelling case. I agree that evolution and beliefs to seem to be major themes, even in the Aenima album.

I must say however that here you definitely seem to be swimming against the stream. This does not make you wrong (in fact more often than not it will mean you are right and battling ignorance) however I'm going to have to go with the herd on this one and say that I don't share your interpretation of this song.

But I like the way that your ideas incorporate the music as well as the lyrics when trying to find a meaning for the song. I have to admit I felt like an idiot when I first saw you doing this, and I realised that I (and perhaps we all) should be doing that too.

Will Have to go and do some serious listening to all the albums (what a tragedy) to see what I can come up with when I let the music paint meaning as well as the words.

Peace.

larips
01-16-2003, 06:37 PM
I come cap in hand to ask a favour. I know this may be stretching the friendship a little, but the liner notes seem to be different in the Australian release of the album. A few times you have mentioned that the liner notes talk about futants and evolution etc. The liner notes in the australian album just have these mock ups of fake tool albums. Could you provide a transcript of what is said? or a link to somewhere I might access such a transcript? Won't put up the fake albums for now, in case you've seen them, but if not will gladly do so.

Much thanx.

Killer Of God
01-20-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by larips
I'm going to have to go with the herd on this one and say that I don't share your interpretation of this song.

Thats why i love aeon blues interprence. It goes against everyones beliefs, because you dont follow into the if "CROSS" is in play it has to be about Jesus. No one has ever put your theory into words. Most original, most compelling, and most of all, i like it better then the Jesus or Bill Hicks ideas. Dude, youve got to put more of your interprets up.