PDA

View Full Version : Me trying to sing

Matteran
01-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Here's a song that i stopped working with for a while, so some of you may recognize it. I decided to start working with it again, as i'm in that frame of mind that it was originally written in.

this time, i wanted to try some vocals. I bought a pretty good mic, that does wonders to my voice. I think for never singing anything besides singing to tool, and singing in my sadometal band, that i sound pretty good.

If you could give me some tips (telling me never to sing again is valid) that'd be much appreciated.

And keep in mind, that a lot of the notes are out of key, and at 4:12min or so, just ignore me for a sec.....

http://www.neuroleptic.net/linkedstuff/VocalTest.mp3
(4.7mb, at 96kbps)

reign3
01-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Cool. The guitar work sounds very much like some of the things I've come up with. Needless to say...I liked it. Haha.

As for your voice; it sounds like you have a pretty decent voice. You could definetly use some improvement on it though. In some parts it seems like you're holding back a bit. You need to sing a bit louder and with confidence. Also, some of the notes just seem a bit off key. It's not a big deal. I'm no vocal coach or anything, so don't take my criticism too hard. It may sound a bit odd, but I'd recomend singing along with songs on your cd player or whatever. Don't turn it up too loud though, make it so you can hear the music, but your voice is still the main focus. This should help you get control over your vocals and let you know a bit better how they should relate to certain sounds. I'm not sure if this will work for you or anybody else, I just say it because it works for me.

All in all, it was good. It's obvious that you have a lot of potential and with some practice and time it seems like you could have a real great voice. But once again, I'm no vocal coach, so don't take everything I say to heart.

Good job though.

Matteran
01-14-2004, 09:55 PM
thanks... everyone in my house is incredibly anal about loud music. Even if i'm playing my acoustic guitar a little loud, then my dad will come in and yell at me to turn it down, as if i can turn it down (but this kind of stuff belongs in another thread). So the whole holding back thing is because i have to, or you'd get a song with my dad yelling in it, and telling me not be a girl for trying to sing and stuff. But whenever i'm home alone i'll definatly put some diaphragm behind it (as demonstrated by my vocals in my thread "A Cover" (the vocals are in the second file that i posted)).

And, i'm very very good when it comes to knowing whether or not something is in tune. I've been in concert and jazz band for like 10 years. I'm a master of that domain. It's just with my un trained voice i can't get it to do what i want sometimes.

Thanks again.

Choler
01-15-2004, 12:13 AM
smells like something good is cooking, god i'm a dork. But I like the guitar, and it sounds like you are trying to mold your voice around the guitar, so it's rather akward. Maybe if you tried to play what you are singing on a guitar so you can find the right pitch and see how is meshes with the guitar part, because you mentioned you are off key on some parts. Just keep practicing and perfect your craft.
yes, please record again when you have the chance, so I can hear your voice at full strength. cause louder=better, Good job though, I liked it.

Windir
01-15-2004, 08:56 AM
I can't really add more, cause what those guys ^^ said, is truly all you need.

Maybe you should try it with an electric guitar.
Could work, could not.

But if I hear this, and think of your voice louder, it would sound better with electric sounds.

Though... I really liked the last part (last 1.30 minutes).
That was some great work.

Keep it up, and keep practising

SadSummerSea
01-15-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm just here to say that the guitar shit around 2:20 gave me chills.

And yah, I think that if you had a room to throw your voice around in, you'd sound awesome. In this it just sounds like you're trying to not wake your parents.

Hurter Vileslay
01-16-2004, 04:10 AM
Not half bad
Good guitar
same as what other people have put-better with more freedom on the vocals.
Keep up the good work and keep practicing