PDA

View Full Version : Using slides?

holy reality
01-13-2004, 02:34 PM
this may be a n00bish question but hell i'm a guitar n00b i suppose:

I got one today and I'm not sure what exactly is to be done with it...

Like I guess you're supposed to have it on the pinky and do normal notes with the other fingers?

Well at any rate, how does Adam play the aenema solo? Because it makes most sense to me to just like put it over my first finger and barre the guitar and just pick the notes I want to ring out and then mute with my wrist (right hand) when necessary...

but it also adds a lot of background noise to it since it's sliding all over the damn entire neck...

but like are you supposed to just fret ONE string with the slide? I can do it but it's kind of awkward....

hmm

anyway here's me doing the aenema solo, the high note downslide part is out of time and other parts may be too but you get the gist of it, hopefully.... i've only been messing around with it for about 15 minutes or so, I think...?

damn i wish i could get adam's flanged feedbacky tone...

www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality/aenima.mp3

hmm i've kind of gotten it figured out now

Choler
01-15-2004, 12:32 AM
first of all, I would turn all effects off until you have the timing down perfect, another way to work on timing is to not play it with a slide, but play it with your hands until you have it down. and I believe alot of people put the slide on their ring finger or pinky finger, whichever ones most comfortable. and you are supposed to hold it over multiple frets, because when you strike and slide, the note should be stronger than the other noises that you are speaking of. what tabs are you going off of?

Jebus
01-15-2004, 12:59 AM
another trick is to lay your spare fingers on the strings to stop the background noise of moving the slide...especially random harmonics

holy reality
01-17-2004, 06:39 PM
i'm going off of tooltabs why?

It's not wrong at all, it's not played perfectly but as far as I can tell from listening to the song while reading the tabs, they are accurate.

My question is what is wrong with my timing? I know that the
e-
b-/12

is fucked up and then I play something screwy after it

at any rate, people always tell me i have horrible timing, how the hell do you establish a sense of time? Because it feels more or less right to me (though i know there is a bad error in this) but I mean I use the delay as a guideline and such.

"play with a metronome" .....................

Jebus
01-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Do you want to upload yourself playing it? I dunno if I specifically can help, but you seem to be having a fair bit of trouble...I won't promise a miracle cure, but it may help...

holy reality
01-21-2004, 06:23 PM
that is me playing in my first post, and well i don't want to rerecord it now, i guess i can tomorrow.

it's damn easy as far as I can tell and such.

Jebus
01-21-2004, 10:47 PM
that is me playing in my first post

oh...wow...I didn't even notice that...maybe i was drunk...I'll check it out and get back to you...