PDA

View Full Version : Buddhism

Phosphoros
01-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Is it just me or anyone else notices a lot of Buddhist influence in this song?
e.g. All this pain is an illusion....
We're chosing to be here

EuphoricBlue
01-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Its not just you. Read 'Zig Zag Zen' to confim your hunch. Buddhism and psychedelics are lead into each other. Just a theory...lol...but I believe what happens to every person who goes through the 3 realms is happening to humanity collectively in a process that the religious leaders would have you believe to be destruction.

1st realm - Physical world...

2and - Deity realm... the 'visual' realm... third eye

3rd - Crown chakra... Full union.. One/ALL

The parabola video says it all. When asked about the leaf on the video Alex Grey replied... "Sacred Plants have initiated millions into the higher mysteries"

Chad

AllforUnity
01-23-2004, 12:02 PM
l guess that could be Buddhism...but Maynard isn't Buddhist.

eddie
02-06-2004, 02:53 PM
yeah maynard is not buddhist but i think the whole album is about the evolution of the mind so maybe hes exploring new things, even religion.... but the feel i get from tool over all is anti-relgion of all kinds, i think he is talking about a person evolution rather than a spiritual one... but thats just me.

PRNinja23
02-11-2004, 05:54 PM
The wonderful thing about Buddhism is that in its simplest practice, it has no beliefs, no leaders, and no tithes to pay. From the little I know about Buddhism, choice is central to the practice. You replace ambition with resolve. Ambition implies getting something in the future that you don't already have. In this precious moment, you only have one thing, a choice. You can choose to think about something you don't have and might get in the future. You can choose to think about what you don't like about the past. Or you can choose to be right here, right now. Only thinking prevents this. Thinking is a choice. For most of us, it is a deeply subconscious choice. But it is possible to turn off the Matrix of thought, "Because I choose to." It takes a lot of spiritual work, but it's only work if you call it that.

To practice spirituality doesn't require a descriptive label like Buddhism or Christianity. You put it in a box when you put a label on it. Thinking spiritually (vulnerable open-mindedness and forgiveness), you get outside boxes.

I don't believe Tool is anti-religion at all. He had a song, Opiate, that was about his distaste for charismatic Christianity. By "chasing the tail of the dogma," he obviously had first-hand experience with it. After the Opiate EP, though, it seems as if he's gotten that off his chest. In fact, I don't hear a word of judgement in any Tool song after Opiate. (Though I only hear what I want to hear.) All of the negativity on Undertow is about the insanity of self-judgement, especially in Intolerance and Bottom.

g-bay-be
02-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Maynard isn't buddist. HAHAHA to even imply that he devotes him self to one religon is ridiculous. To devote yourself to one religon is rediculous. he... as do i. take many religons many tales and many books to form his own way of thinking

PilotDude83
02-12-2004, 09:16 AM
Maynard may not be Buddist, but that doesn't mean that he hasn't searched their teachings. I personally believe that he is his own religion, and believes that everyone who thinks for his or herself is their own religion. Something that is actually very buddist because the Dahli Lama openly supports the idea of individual religions. I have taken this concept to heart myself. Years ago I created my own religion. I am and will always be the only member. The teachings of Christ, the Buddas, and oddly enough Maynard (or at least I thought he was teaching) have been very influential in my set of values. In conclusion, mass religion is brainwashing. Don't let other people tell you how to believe. However, if they say something that resonates as truth with your being then examine it and take what is true to you to heart.

Talonwulf
02-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Doesnt he believe in Charka? Look at all the symbols on the apple, look at "GAINIGN A THIRD EYE" and the "crown of eyes". Its all charkas

Phosphoros
02-14-2004, 05:47 PM
Yeah, and when the eye gets in the guy's body you see the seven chakras, and it (the eye) does stop in some of them. You can also see in his hands the Lao Gong marked by an eye and also other acupunctural points, and, of course, the meridians (it is supposed that Qi (Vital energy) flows through this pathways). And at the end, the guy seems to become one with everything, that makes me remember something my sifu told us once when I was taking Qi Gong classes, Taoists and buddhists believed we were one with everything, so once you destroyed your ego and discovered you are not different but the same of all that surrounds you, they were able to do incredible things. For narrow-minded people this might sound very silly and I'm sure you won't believe it, however, there's a book by Chen Kaiguo and Zheng Schunchao that tells the story of Wang Liping (a taoist Qi Gong master) and contains some stories related to this.
And about religion, when we hear this word, in our minds used to think what others want us to think, we inmediately relate it with temples, monks, images, prayers or someone who is always thinking in God, and talking about him. However, Religion is the relation between a superior entity and human beings, so, even if you don't believe in a higher existence you are religious, for when you deny the existence of that entity you are already thinking of it. And of course it's silly devoting yourself to a monopolized institution, but, it's more silly to think religion goes no further. That kind of thing is not religion, it's called "Church", Ecclesia... those buildings with a cross you see in every city are temples, christian temples.

s62
02-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Following Buddhism is not necessary following a religion. I have Buddhist beliefs, but I claim no religion. I just feel I understand the All, and the Oneness of us all. I think that psychedelic experiences and mystical experiences are very similar, and psychedelics can definately lead to them (ego-loss, etc.).
Parabol/Parabola is definately based around Enlightenment or Awakenment in the Buddhist type sense. Losing the ego, become one with the All, and realizing our spiritual and not physical nature. "Remember: We are eternal; all this pain is an illusion" That line says it all. This song deals with spiritual evolution and awakenment in a psychedelic, buddhist like sense. It not adhere at all to the mythology or practices of buddhism, but conforms instead to the ideas behind it, which is perfectly fine in the eyes of a buddhist. As the first Buddha (well, first recorded one) said, we should discard whatever beliefs and practices of Buddhism that we disagree with, because it is a growing, progressive spiritual practice.

Orph8998
04-26-2004, 01:25 PM
buddhist, yeah, but there are a lot of religions that go aroudn these thoughts. buddism is just the most well known. if you want to look at it under a certain light, even christianity tells us this. there are a lot of similarities between this song(the rest of the CD too) and the book "nothing in this book is true..." adn that book is derived from many religions.
also, how the hell do you know what tool believes? for all you know they could hail Quatzequatel...

Galagar
05-02-2004, 06:02 PM
I think buddhism is implied in the whole album, if you read the lyrics of the song carefully you can notice it, even in the aenema album, in the song "third eye", the third eye is one of the cakras in the body

Galagar
05-02-2004, 06:05 PM
and if you want more information about the end of the video, about the guy with the chakras you can check out www.alexgrey.com

Orph8998
05-02-2004, 08:23 PM
...geeze, that basicly sums it up, we might as well close down the parabola from and replace it with that link...

wow, what an artist, kinda depressing though, i thought i was kinda talnted...

Al-Co.
05-12-2004, 05:20 AM
... take many religons many tales and many books to form his own way of thinking

Sorry, but I couldn't help but reply to this, and I mean no offence. (and perhaps I'm just being pedantic!) but I don't think ways of thinking are formed by outside influences, thought is not a collage that makes something (that appears to be) new and different (but is really just things that were around previously re-assembled), I consider thought to be an inspiration, a new tangent on life, seeing the wave(s) that you are riding that little bit better so that you can better balance you're existence.

Although you may descover what those before you have descovered, your thinking will always be unique because it has nothing to do with anyone else's perspective, for it originates purely from your own. Even if ultimately we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively and there's no such thing as death, (etc.), this illusion of individuality is as pertenant and real as anything else we have before us (though, perhaps not in the sense that we usually ascribe the word "real" to, depending on how we usually use the word of course:) and as such we should not rely on outside sources to make our thoughts, we should always be aware of our unique situation and enjoy taking advantage of the fact that we are here, now, and staying inside this holy reality in the srange, yet marvelous way that we do.

Alex (Al-Co.) Downs

Al-Co.
05-12-2004, 05:29 AM
wow, what an artist, kinda depressing though, i thought i was kinda talnted...

Sorry, had to say something here aswell (tee-hee:-)

Don't let the talents of others depress you! To be honest, that attitude apears a bit self defeating, art is about confidence of expression (I reckon) and to be deflated by someone elses confidence because it is stronger than yours won't help your art one bit. Focus on what you are doing, and it will grow as it needs too. Well, sorry, I shouldn't interfere, but I felt I had to say something :)

Alex (Al-Co.) Downs

Orph8998
05-12-2004, 04:41 PM
appreciated, but i was not speaking literally, i was more complementing him rather than degrating myself. but i do agree with you, though no matter what, sheer talent never hurts

deathoughts
05-18-2004, 04:26 AM
this song is related in a way to buddhism

but really not much

maynard does not follow a single religion..

many ways of the unity being are related to certain religions..

the three levels etc.

42 & 2, 44 & 2, 46 & 2.

there are probly over a thousand different ways of explaining this through different people as they all have their own view..

however...they are all equal..

and basically on the same lines..

unity being and higher level concioussness is about realising we are all energy..

pure vibrations of energy (particles neutrons electrons etc.)

if you consider everything to be just a vibration...whether it be a bigger or smaller vibration... we are all the same thing/energy/vibration..

reality is made by our minds.. we only see this because we see everything separatetly... ie. good/evil wrong/right particle from particle Fred/John

for me to judge out buddhism let alone even mention the word would be instantly separating it from the unity of everything..because i am singleing it out...

we are all of the same energy....one....equal....

we have lost the ability to see everything as a whole...and therefore are trapped in this body yet to evolve to a higher conciousness....

parable is to use something for a spiritual lesson or meaning pretty much..

"this body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality, embrace this moment, REMEMBER, we are eternal all this pain is an illusion..

this body we are still being held back by (because we are yet to evolve) just reminds us that we are separate and mortal....it is hard to know and embrace that we are immortal because we are all united energy.... we must remember all this pain is an illusion.. what are we but energy....our minds are making it reality and seperate.....we must learn to see, feel, be, think that everything is one..

a good book to understand this is :

"you are a spiritual being, having a human experience" by bob frissel

ask any questions if you would lik eme to elaborate more...

its going to take time for everyone realising this is real...without thinkin it is just some fucked up stoner bullshit...dont be narrow minded..

most religions...especially buddhism are in most ways connected to this unity

same ideas.....different ways of teaching it...

except christianity... thats just some big piece of crap.....why should we worship some guy for nothing.... theres more to it then just being a sheep and worshipping some guy thinking you will be let into the gates of heaven for it..

we are all one god

write back !!PEACE!!

Orph8998
05-21-2004, 06:26 PM
this song is related in a way to buddhism

except christianity... thats just some big piece of crap.....why should we worship some guy for nothing.... theres more to it then just being a sheep and worshipping some guy thinking you will be let into the gates of heaven for it..

we are all one god

write back !!PEACE!!

wrong....
christianity just found its way into the money hungry european's hands. it is no different. jesus' teachins showed us that we are one. we are all part of the holy spirit. and jesus never told us to be a blind sheep, even jesus questioned god in his final hours

SmallWangedMan
05-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Agree with Oprh.

Tool in general is extremely influenced by Eastern religion and mysticism, and I think some of it pervades almost all of their work.

JTCrace
05-22-2004, 01:17 PM
As far as what the first post suggested, I will reply specifically to the idea of "pain is an illusion" and the idea of "choosing to be here," in its relation to what I understand to be Buddhist thought.

What most individuals, including many so-called Buddhists, consider to be the First Noble Truth is actually entirely incorrect. The ascetic Gotama taught, and only taught, the resolution of unwholesomeness (dukkha). If one does a short linguistic study of the Pali term "dukkha" (that means finding a Pali-English Dictionary), one will find that the prefix 'du' is similar to 'dis' in English and the suffix 'kha' is similar to 'whole' in English. The Pali root 'kha' is related to the Old English root 'hal' which means "healthy, unhurt, entire." So, like it was stated above, Gotama instructed his disciples on how to become whole. (Interestingly, an etymological study of the English word 'religion' reveals a striking similarity: religion=to gather again.)

Before going on, it's important to understand the religio-philosophical background of Gotama's time. Max Sandor gives a short, concise description:

"In the Indic view of the world, a Being must divide itself into fractions in order to bring about any kind of 'reality'. It must then 'identify' itself (improperly!) with disintegrated parts in order to bring about 'sensations'." --(Copyleft 1998 Max Sandor)

Identifying itself with these disintegrated parts would put a Being in a very precarious position, an unwholesome position. However, the positive side is that it may now experience, well, experiences. But, there comes a certain time when a Being begins to suspect its true nature, it begins to sense its unwholesomeness and realizes that nothing is ever enough. It then tries to discover how it can go about "religion-ing" itself.

It seems the ONLY way that it can do this is by, somehow, resolving its various identifications. If it does this successfully, it would find that pain, along with pleasure and any other experience for that matter, has been and always will be an illusion--a lie! But unfortunately for those that like the idea that "life is suffering," lies can be very, very pleasant. Right now I am lying my ass off, drinking a cup of coffee, smoking a cigarette and having a blast!

Now, on to the idea of "choosing to be here." In the Pali Canon, Gotama does a great job in de-constructing desire and showing its arising and its structure.

When a Being begins to identify with its and other Creators various creations, it loses awareness. Previous decisions, postulates, agreements and goals become black. This is the state that Gotama referred to as ‘avijja’ or ‘not-knowingness.’ Just because a Being becomes unaware of these previous decisions DOES NOT mean that they go away. Quite the contrary, these past decisions create what Gotama called ‘tanha’ or ‘thirst.’ Max Sandor elucidates on this concept, saying that ‘tanha’ is “the collection of potential for desires.” Max dubs this collection the ‘blind will.’

So when a particular phenomenon comes into view that is somehow related to a previous decision or postulate, the Being’s ‘blind will’ will automatically create a desire for that phenomenon. The consequence of this is that the Being creates further attachments. An example: attachment to physical bodies. Because it has made previous decisions regarding the need for a physical body, as soon as its current physical body ceases to function it will immediately pick up another one.

And what does this have to do with “choosing to be here?” In an article called “The Quest for Happiness,” Max Sandor tells of a fictional character who “was always so busy that he had never time to think about what he _really_ wants (Copyleft 1998).” I think what Max is suggesting here is that if a person really questions himself thoroughly, he will find that everything he has—is everything he wants. We are here because of all the previous decisions we have made; beginning as a Being with limitless potential and absolute freedom, then spiraling down to a finite, limited, physical being. Although it may feel as if we have been trapped, as if someone else is in control, truly we have been “keeping our own counsel” all along. And still are for that matter.

I choose: pain, love, confusion, depression, beauty, knowledge, death, life, location, perception, sensation, experience, this universe, this galaxy, this planet and this dead Ohio sky: these fucking lies! This is where I am—I am choosing to be here.

Orph8998
05-22-2004, 07:23 PM
sounds liek the end of 46&2...

endless_nameless
05-22-2004, 08:34 PM
I don't believe Tool is anti-religion at all. He had a song, Opiate, that was about his distaste for charismatic Christianity. By "chasing the tail of the dogma," he obviously had first-hand experience with it. After the Opiate EP, though, it seems as if he's gotten that off his chest. In fact, I don't hear a word of judgement in any Tool song after Opiate. (Though I only hear what I want to hear.) All of the negativity on Undertow is about the insanity of self-judgement, especially in Intolerance and Bottom.

Of course Tool isn't against all religions, and Maynard does seem very influenced by Eastern ideals (just like a modern day George Harrison, ain't he?), but Maynard does express an anti-religious sentiment in many more songs than Opiate. Look, for example, at APC's Judith, Eulogy, and Third Eye ("You thought that I had run away, chasing the tail of dogma" for example seems to imply that religion is blinding us from the truth and obscuring our Third Eye).

I think that what Maynard is expressing in many of these songs is an anger at certain aspects of the religious instituitions more than the religions themselves. The so-called middle men, for example, who present their own influence in the religion they preach. This is a major theme in Bill Hicks' work, and Maynard seems to have shared his viewpoint:
"I appreciate your quiant superstitions and shit, but I deal solely with the source of light that exists in all of our own minds, no middle man required." - Bill Hicks

Perhaps that is were the similarities between Maynard's lyrics and Buddhist teachings are found. After all, I believe Buddhism, as has already been mentioned, is focused on the individual's spiritual journey and the power of mind, and does not have the artificialially imposed preachers that are found in Christianity. Which I believe is a good thing, as it was inevitable that humans who were told they were servants of God were bound to abuse His power.
Just look at Catholic priests and their unholy fascination with small boys.

Orph8998
05-29-2004, 02:34 PM
i think that maynard is anti-blind faith
and that is what i think all his anti-religious lyrics are more aimed at

MORNING_GLORY
06-02-2004, 02:16 PM
why does every one think they know what religion maynard is/n't? who cares?

IC
07-11-2004, 07:12 PM
why does every one think they know what religion maynard is/n't? who cares?

agreed

Cyanide ChrYst
07-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Werd, I'm pretty much sick of people summing up all they 'know' about him. He's a guy who writes lyrics; not some magical mysterious prince of darkness.

And I am at that age where a lot of my friends say they're buddhist and whatever. Yeah, I go out of my way not to kill bugs, I think 'the source' is more realistic than 'god', I think the idea of wallowing in emotional pain is complete nonsense, and I like asians because they're all peaceful and know homeopathic herbal remedies for everything.

But when a white kid talks about how he practices buddhism...he's not buddhist. He's just an emofag.

Cyanide ChrYst
07-22-2004, 11:13 PM
"I appreciate your quiant superstitions and shit, but I deal solely with the source of light that exists in all of our own minds, no middle man required." - Bill Hicks

I would give bill hicks the ill blowjob.

Shinji
07-21-2007, 06:53 AM
MJK never was against religions, he has always fought "middle men", as he calls them, the people who use faith for their own power.

thomasknight
07-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Interesting to see this bumped to the top. The OP never mentioned religion. Also, one probably wouldn't find a Buddhist confirming Buddhism as a religion.

One may refer to it as a philosiphy, but probably in the context of older days when philosiphers lived what they teached/thought.

For a lay person to accept Buddhist teachings as true, it can be seen as more of a science.

I believe in sub-atomic particles, but I'm not a scientist.

]v[edusa
07-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Read up on what Socrates has to say about pain and pleasure. Even though buddhism does talk about pain being an illusion, it doesnt mean that only buddhists talk about that.

I speak of Socrates because the words parabol/parabola originated in Greek and the two songs do consist of greek philosophies (to me at least).

Cheesegreater
07-25-2007, 01:01 PM
A lot of Greek philosophy can tie into other religious ideas. People throughout history have stumbled upon universal truths, then they put those same ideas under the heading of 'religion' or 'philosophy.' We should not forget that certain religions and philosophies don't own these ideas; they merely had people in those schools of thinking who founded them.

Everyone has a system of beliefs they work with. Don't think you're special because your philosophy on life makes you a Christian under Jewish influence with a splash of Buddhism and your favorite novelist. Everyone does this. You read a book one day and think, "This guy is totally inside my head!" Then another day you think, "Wow, those Buddhists had some pretty cool ideas, but I've always been Christian." Eventually, you have all these ideas from all these different people throughout history. You combine them in just the right way, and throw in a little of your own perspective; finally, you end up with this schemata of what really resonates with 'you' as truth.

People seem to be under the impression that if one day they read some text on some Greek philosophy they believe to be true, they'll say, "I must be a Deist Agnostic." Like I said, no one owns these ideas. You are your own person with all the idiosyncrasies that make up an individual. You can't copyright or patent a certain belief system. Not to say that people haven't tried in some way or another throughout history. Try this on for size. Let's say the first person to have the idea of the one god was this cavemen named Bob. If you believe this monotheistic approach, are you now a Bobbist? I would think not.

iwouldificould
07-27-2007, 03:39 AM
You can't copyright or patent a certain belief system. Not to say that people haven't tried in some way or another throughout history. Try this on for size. Let's say the first person to have the idea of the one god was this cavemen named Bob. If you believe this monotheistic approach, are you now a Bobbist? I would think not.

Hey, I think I KNOW that "Bob" guy!!

...seems like I met him at an AA meeting or something.