PDA

View Full Version : God, you'll hate this one.

ThreeDeviations
01-10-2004, 12:51 AM
The song isn't about anything sexual.

The song is God speaking to Maynard.
The song is God pleading for Maynard's heart
The song is God asking for Maynard's permission.
The song is God begging for Maynard's love.
The song is God telling Maynard to free himself.
The song is God talking to Maynard.
The song is God wishing that Maynard would trust.
The song is God trying to persuade Maynard's conscious soul.

The song is written by Maynard- but inspired by that voice, that feeling in his heart, that knocking at his conscience.

The song is saying that if you had God in your heart all the time, then it would bring Maynard much closer to God than in times of perceived necessity- when he feels the need to pray- like someone crying, someone's cancer, someone dying.

The song is God explaining that human frustration, human hurt and human life, is insignificant - relative - to eternal significance.

magdalena_jane
01-12-2004, 06:56 PM
it could be perceived that way. in reading the lyrics over in that mindset, i see where you're coming from. it would explain the "take what's left and eat it" but with the knowledge of maynards ways that involve sodomy, i would really think that that is what he's talking about. only he knows but it really points to it for me...

"you won't do what you like to do, lay back and let me show you another way... Give in now and let me in. You'll like this in Don't pull it out."

the anal cavity being 4 degrees warmer and tighter would make it more enjoyable for the guy, would it not? have you tried it? did she or he like it?

ThreeDeviations
01-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Magdalena

"You won't do what you like to do, lay back and let me show you another way... Give in now and let me in. You'll like this in, Don't pull it out."

I feel that is just Maynard's conscience (God) speaking to him. God asking Maynard for consent to "show him another way." Asking Maynard to give in to his mind/heart's true feelings. God stating that "you'll like this... don't pull it out." (Meaning = you'll like Me [God] in your heart and mind if you open up to Me and give Me a sustained, honest try... so don't pull Me out of your heart and mind)

I think he uses words and phrases in the song that intentionally make people assume he's talking about something sexual. Like "give in now," and "don't pull it out" and "take it all in."
But that's just to sort of disguise the actual meaning.
Now when he says "Take it up higher... 4 degrees warmer." I think he's being literal there- and I'd agree that he's referring to anal sex.
But like I said, that's just to make help solidify the disguise.

There's far too much pain, hope, vulnerability and just general emotion in the music, and particularly, in Maynard's voice, for this song to merely be about sex.

I agree that those are some of the same emotions that you'd detect if the song were actually about "sodomy," too. I just don't feel that's what this song is about though- That's part of the beauty of the song. The way it's written. Maynard writes the words so carefully that you really need to consider all the other factors involved before you really try to form an opinion on the song's meaning. (not you, just generally speaking) Factors such as the music, and how it relates to the words is one example. Maynard's tone of voice, the pace at which he sings...the emotion in his voice... other variables and intangibles, too. When you consider all of them, that tells me that this song is way beyond Maynard wanting to stick his dick in some guy's ass--- even though it's written from that angle.

Phrases like…
Free yourself, from yourself.
Locked up inside you.
You won’t do what you’d like to do.
I’ll kill what you want me to, take what’s left and eat it.
Take all or nothing… just too short to push it away.

Those lines don't really support sodomy. But they all agree if you see it as God speaking to Maynard.

I definitely think the line "this brings us closer than dying and cancer and crying," solidifies that the song is not about sodomy.

The line just doesn't make sense when you perceive it from a sexual standpoint. I don't think Maynard just throws in arbitrary lines or words when he writes, either. He said that particular line for a reason... chose those words for a reason. "Cancer, crying, dying" are just random words under the sodomy perspective.

I think if you listen, and think about that line from the perspective of God asking Maynard to have Him in his heart all the time... and not just when Maynard feels he has to pray- then it makes perfect sense. . . along with the rest of the music and lyrics.

Also, I assume that when you think the song is about sodomy…. You’re hearing the song as if Maynard is singing or talking- trying to convince someone that he’d like to sodomize?
If so, why would Maynard be telling his “victim” at the beginning of the song to “get up, and free yourself from yourself.” How does that make any sense… since the victim in the song already is not a willing participant? (Victim is already “free”… he’d be freeing himself from Maynard- not “himself.”)

Then he says “just too short to push it away.” What’s too short? Life is too short to not want to be sodomized?

Just listen to the music alone in the song... and think if it is music that would support dick in ass, or something more significant.

Despite my conviction to what I think the song is truly about- I still appreciate your opinion-

ThreeDeviations

magdalena_jane
01-14-2004, 11:16 AM
"you'll like this... don't pull it out." (Meaning = you'll like Me [God] in your heart and mind if you open up to Me and give Me a sustained, honest try... so don't pull Me out of your heart and mind)

"it" would then be "me" wouldn't it? going from first person point of view to thirdish. because it said me previously

i do agree that the song is far too intense to just be about sex but then again maynard can make anything beautiful. it's even better that it can almost completely about either topic and it's up to the listener. i understand where you're coming from. i also think it would help more if i believed in god. listening to other tool songs, maynard doesn't seem to really accept god or mainly the people who claim to know him and preach about him and their lies. so this would make more sense as the meaning of this song (not the anal sex point of view) because he's stating that he believes in god but not in the people who lie, cheat, and steal and claim to be better than everyone else.

it all makes sense in this way especially when you get to the part where he sings "if you knock me down, i'll come back running. knock you down, it won't be long now...." but then he says "take it up higher 4 degrees warmer" and that doesn't fit... so why would there just be two lines in the middle of the song about sodomy?

i understand everything else

ThreeDeviations
01-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Jane-

You're right. I should've said "Me" instead of "it." That keeps everything in agreement.

Like I said, I feel that when he wrote it... I believe the majority of people would think it was about sex- and that was his intention.

I stated in my previous post that the only lines in the song where he's literally referring to sex would be "Take it up higher, 4 degrees now, 4 degrees warmer."

I don't know why he chose to write it like he did... I just give my opinions. However, like I said before, I think he says that line to just help disguise the meaning.
He knew people would associate that line with anal sex.... which automatically makes a person assume that is the song's meaning.

People think I am pushing God based on my opinion of the song. I'm certainly not. The meaning just sort of hit me out of the blue one day when I was listening to it. It was weird.

My opinion could be wrong... but I certainly think it's right.
I feel that if more people would listen to the song from this perspective.... they'd understand, too.

But if not, that's fine-
But I do think it's an opinion worth sharing because I feel whole-heartedly about it.

You say you don't believe in God. I certainly believe that Maynard believes in a God. I don't think you can write such beautiful, inspirational music and lyrics (especially on the Lateralus cd) without some sort of spiritual belief in something higher.

"Swing on the spiral of our divinity."

So even though you don't believe... that can change-
and I feel the more you listen to 4 degrees, the more your mind will change, too. - at least about the meaning.

Anyhow- Thanks for the feedback... and for the consideration of my opinion.

ThreeDeviations

radmanics
01-15-2004, 03:30 PM
My opinion could be wrong... but I certainly think it's right.
I feel that if more people would listen to the song from this perspective.... they'd understand, too.

Opinions are neither right nor wrong; inturpritations can be wrong in a sense, that they are not what the writer intended, but they are still not 100% wrong.

The probably sodomy reference is intended. It's either the metaphore about experiencing something new/releasing your fears or a simple mask (or maynard writing a song about sodomy to fuck with you).

Personally, I think the 4 degrees does have relavence to an interpuritation; what relavence I know not.

A better interpritation though I think.

AllforUnity
01-23-2004, 12:48 PM
l'm not sure.

Skinshifter01
01-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Whenever I hear this song - which isn't often because of a badly taken care of cd - I have the urge to weep. I don't think that MJK is talking about sodomy. That just wouldn't add up. I mean, great, the anus is 4degrees tighter and warmer, wonderful. that's just a coincidence, or a side step to what MJK is pointing out. I personally don't think this song is talking about God...more like a forbidden love. Almost like he's pleading for this person to love him, to them him love him/her.

And with the live version of this song having MJK saying "Here's another song about sodomy", that could just be MJK having read a post similar to this one and laughing at the thought that, yeah, this could tie into "butt sex". Or maybe it's MJK hiding his meaning's behind sexual words and inuendo.

Wu-Li Novice
02-24-2004, 10:14 AM
You should try to anal'ize songs as if god is a possability and not a fact.

royc
02-24-2004, 11:45 AM
god is many things to many people. ThreeDeviations pointed out a lyric i had never seen before "Swing on the spiral of our divinity." if our divity is that treasure that lays within us i can think of one molecule that definatly spirals. its called dna and our reason for being here hell the meaning of life is all encoded and curled up inside up inside some trillion cells. perhaps we a god?

ThreeDeviations
02-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Wu-LI-

You should try to analyze the song as God being a possiblity.
You should try to analyze the song as God being a possiblity.

I have to hit "opinion" when I sign on.

Sorry if my "opinions" make so much sense to you that you process them as "fact."

Next time, I'll be sure to say, like the clones... "Honestly, I have absolutely no idea what this song means. I mean, only Maynard could really know for sure... and I'm not Maynard, so I really don't know for certain, but I think this is what he might be thinking about even though I'm not sure. It's just my opinion, and I don't know for sure... like I said, it's just my opinion so don't get offended. Please let me know how you feel about my opinion. I mean, my opinion could be wrong... but this is how the song makes me feel... what it means to me... at least when I'm on LSD and Mushrooms... heeheehee... ok, are you guys ready for my opinion?- here goes!"

Gee, I thought hitting "opinion" precluded clones from saying such ignorant, redundant shit.

Metamorphosis
03-18-2004, 11:52 PM
it is very convincing this song is about anal sex, but i know it isnt cus maynard said so himself. at the concert i went to he said "this song is NOT about anal sex" just before playing 4 degrees.

AllforUnity
03-19-2004, 02:53 AM
Could be sarcasm?

Although, l don't think it is.

ThreeDeviations
05-29-2006, 12:18 AM
It's about acceptance. of a god...

and written as if it's his god speaking to him throughout the song.. asking for his acceptance.

Apollo's third eye
05-29-2006, 03:12 AM
You know I could except that however on the same cd is disgustipated which is an insult to religion and also years after that he made the song judith which I don't think that one needs to be explained. Forgive me if I'm missing something the ADD kicked in and I didn''t read the whole thread.

wearethestories
05-29-2006, 10:44 AM
You know I could except that however on the same cd is disgustipated which is an insult to religion and also years after that he made the song judith which I don't think that one needs to be explained. Forgive me if I'm missing something the ADD kicked in and I didn''t read the whole thread.

Judith is Maynard's mother's name (first or middle, I don't remember, and from what I understand, she was a Christian --- so both "Judith" and "Wings/10,000 Days" are songs to her) and the insult in anything Maynard writes/sings isn't against religion/spirituality/God, it's against the "middlemen" of religion who peddle false wares and sell false security to the mindless and the broken.

As far as "4 Degrees"goes, can sodomy be metaphorical for a "god" asking Maynard for acceptance and trust --- doesn't that fit with "Opiate" and the RAPE metaphor?

ThreeDeviations
05-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Opiate is about religion.

4 degree isn't. so the parallel between "Opiate and Rape" isn't nearly the same as 4 degrees and "sodomy."

Frankly, it doesn't matter what the metaphor or pretense it's written under... it's about the MEANING.

Apollo's third eye
05-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Judith is Maynard's mother's name (first or middle, I don't remember, and from what I understand, she was a Christian --- so both "Judith" and "Wings/10,000 Days" are songs to her) and the insult in anything Maynard writes/sings isn't against religion/spirituality/God, it's against the "middlemen" of religion who peddle false wares and sell false security to the mindless and the broken.

As far as "4 Degrees"goes, can sodomy be metaphorical for a "god" asking Maynard for acceptance and trust --- doesn't that fit with "Opiate" and the RAPE metaphor?
Yeah I know but the thing is in Judith he is pretty clear about his feelings for the christian god with the words fuck your god. I know its based out of anger over his mother's condition but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was clear about what he thought of her god. Now I somewhat feel maynard has accepted god in whatever way he chose in the recent music but on Undertow I just don't feel it.

ThreeDeviations
05-29-2006, 10:43 PM
well, he didn't "accept" it back on undertow... I agree with you on that.

but he did acknowledge it... that's the point.

I'm not saying that Maynard ultimately accepts and loves his god completely in 4 degrees...

he's really evolved spiritually.. or "with his god" over the course of cd's...

Apollo's third eye
05-29-2006, 11:00 PM
See though I don't see why he would make a song about god trying to love him if at the time he thought god was a more malevolent figure, and didn't feel that he has the answers then again I don't know and thats the beauty of their music nobody knows buy Maynard.

wearethestories
05-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Yeah I know but the thing is in Judith he is pretty clear about his feelings for the christian god with the words fuck your god. I know its based out of anger over his mother's condition but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was clear about what he thought of her god. Now I somewhat feel maynard has accepted god in whatever way he chose in the recent music but on Undertow I just don't feel it.
I'm not saying he "accepted" God with "4 Degrees", I'm saying that the progression of feeling from "Judith" to "Wings/10,000 Days" is interesting. There's no acceptance on Undertow, he's relating a "god" asking the narrator to believe in "Him" with anal sex. For straight men, I think, anal sex isn't a pleasant experience (thus, there is no aceptance, but he's saying belief/trust in some mythical figure is akin to getting it up the butt, though the person suggesting belief/trust/sex is trying to make it seem desirable).

I think this song is closely related to "Stinkfist" in its analogy.

Though "Stinkfist" concerns drug abuse and sexual fetish while "4 Degrees" concerns religion.

ThreeDeviations
05-30-2006, 10:28 AM
For straight men, I think, anal sex isn't a pleasant experience (thus, there is no aceptance, but he's saying belief/trust in some mythical figure is akin to getting it up the butt)

Though "Stinkfist" concerns drug abuse and sexual fetish while "4 Degrees" concerns religion.

"This brings us closer than DYING, and CANCER and CRYING." You really think that line is somehow associated with anal sex? The song is disguised in that metaphor... that's all.

There is usually one line in a Tool song that sheds the most light, or gives you the best clue regarding the real meaning... the perspective it's written from and the line "This brings us closer than DYING, and CANCER and CRYING" is the biggest hint in this song.

as for Stinkfist..

Stinkfist is about how people are desensitized to everything... very closely related to Vicarious' message. Basically that it takes Tragedy (Vicarious)... or getting FISTFUCKED for Stinkfist... to garner our attention these days.

wearethestories
05-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Stinkfist is about how people are desensitized to everything... very closely related to Vicarious' message. Basically that it takes Tragedy (Vicarious)... or getting FISTFUCKED for Stinkfist... to garner our attention these days.
I think maybe you should step down from your "right"-ness and your "I-have-all-the-answers-to-every-Tool-song-ever"-ness and actually listen to other people. If you don't feel like it, at least keep your posts subjective. It's not like you actually KNOW what's going on in the band's collective (un)conscious, so you might refrain from being heavy-handed and high-browed in your comments and responses.

We are all trying to suggest OUR own interpretations so that we can begin to understand this band and it's lyrics on a deeper level.

That being said.

I THINK...
that "Stinkfist" is not close to "Vicarious". I believe you interpreted "Vicarious" correctly in the above passage, but I think "Stinkfist" is much much different. The lyrics don't support an interpretation that says "we are so desensitized to life that we need to get fistfucked in order to 'wake up' ". Maybe the opening lyrics do, yet the rest of them seem to be about succumbing to the "need" to dig more and more into the perverse in order to feel anything. It really has nothing to do with tragedy, and the idea is that this person needs to feel something in order to be alive. I don't necessarily think that it's supposed to be a "message" the way "Vicarious" seems to be, it's much more about the human psyche and the NEED to feel --- when, for example, people become addicted to a drug, there is a constant NEED FOR MORE, there is a search for that perfect high and it takes more and more of that drug to make someone feel that way. It becomes a "gateway" for a further spiral into nothingness.

(sidenote: if you listen to NIN's "The Downward Spiral" all the way through, Trent Reznor destroys everything --- he condemns religion ("Heresy"), spits in the face of sexuality ("Closer"), and makes existence seem robotic and inhuman ("The Becoming") and completely abolishes everything in his path. The last song ("Hurt") takes a look back on all the destruction and all of the decay that has preceded it and understands how there is nothing left...

...there was a connection, but I don't remember what it was)

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. Just try to be slightly more open-minded and less condemning in your comments, because it makes you seem like a self-righteous prick (a "Hooker With A Penis", anyone?)

wearethestories
05-30-2006, 11:36 AM
There is usually one line in a Tool song that sheds the most light, or gives you the best clue regarding the real meaning... the perspective it's written from and the line "This brings us closer than DYING, and CANCER and CRYING" is the biggest hint in this song.
This is what I'm talking about, in case you got offended and think I'm just being sore about my apparent "misinterpretation" of both "4 Degrees" and "Stinkfist". You really sound like you've got all the answers to how to interpret anything TOOL. And I'm fairly sure that you don't, since your name isn't MJK, DC, AJ, or JC.

So, back off and be a little more respectful of other people's thoughts (and all of this comes from reading your other posts off of "Undertow", so for those just reading this thread, don't think I'm being unnecessarily harsh to ThreeDeviations... it's something that needs to be addressed).

Humility, my friend, and unity.

You don't hold the secret key, and neither do I.

Let's embrace that and move on to TALK WITH and not to CORRECT each other.

Thanks.

ThreeDeviations
05-30-2006, 10:06 PM
I do feel I have the answers.

I have to hit "opinion" every time I sign onto the page...

I'm not going to qualify every post I make beforehand by saying.. " I am not Maynard, but.."

Regarding Tool, I am self-righteous.

You say, "We are all trying to suggest OUR own interpretations so that we can begin to understand this band and its lyrics on a deeper level."

I don't need anyone else's interpretations in order to understand their music and meaning on a "deeper level." I am already there or beyond it. If that's self-righteous... yup, that's me. It's not "self-righteous" if I'm right.. it's just called being a hot piece of ass who just happens to be "right." I love my tits.

(is it even possible to be called self-righteous in an opinion forum?)

You don't have to be the doctor in order to know that a sliced throat is going to be a problem.

"You really sound like you've got all the answers to how to interpret anything TOOL"

Thank you very much. You're too kind.

I would also like to thank you for "addressing" me and putting me back in my place.

Melanos
06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
I do feel I have the answers.

I have to hit "opinion" every time I sign onto the page...

I'm not going to qualify every post I make beforehand by saying.. " I am not Maynard, but.."

Regarding Tool, I am self-righteous.

You say, "We are all trying to suggest OUR own interpretations so that we can begin to understand this band and its lyrics on a deeper level."

I don't need anyone else's interpretations in order to understand their music and meaning on a "deeper level." I am already there or beyond it. If that's self-righteous... yup, that's me. It's not "self-righteous" if I'm right.. it's just called being a hot piece of ass who just happens to be "right." I love my tits.

(is it even possible to be called self-righteous in an opinion forum?)

You don't have to be the doctor in order to know that a sliced throat is going to be a problem.

"You really sound like you've got all the answers to how to interpret anything TOOL"

Thank you very much. You're too kind.

I would also like to thank you for "addressing" me and putting me back in my place.

I have an Honest question.......

"I am already there or beyond it".... how can you be beyond something that is limitless? and..... How can you honestly say that your allready there and make a statement like that? i know you love tool and thats great, i also think you have a working understanding of the "deeper level" but remember its ALLWAYS a "deeper level" you cannot ever touch the bottom or top of it because its limitless. With that said, and all due respect.......... "Lets defy ego before its far too late".

oh yeah.... and also remember that "feelings" are human, and human is ego.

Try and look at it from a spiritual being having a human experiance instead of the other way around. After all..... your flesh will die and rot along with everyone else.

wearethestories
07-05-2006, 11:38 AM
whew... I think you wore her out... no comments... she might be gone...

*looks around*

*sighs*

*wipes sweat off brow*

Melanos
07-21-2006, 01:48 AM

Dont think so... "fuck your god" is intended torwards the church because "thier" god isnt the all loving unconditional being.... it has conditions to get to heaven.
10 commandments etc...... a TRUE unconditional loving god wouldnt make rules.... didnt "he" create us in his own image after all? And then gave us the freedom to choose? If he was TRULY unconditional, he would love us and take us back no matter what we chose, as he gave us the right to choose as we see fit. So i dont see how its based on his mothers condition at all, since after all, im sure he understands that she too has the right to choose.

Melanos
07-21-2006, 01:50 AM
This is what I'm talking about, in case you got offended and think I'm just being sore about my apparent "misinterpretation" of both "4 Degrees" and "Stinkfist". You really sound like you've got all the answers to how to interpret anything TOOL. And I'm fairly sure that you don't, since your name isn't MJK, DC, AJ, or JC.

So, back off and be a little more respectful of other people's thoughts (and all of this comes from reading your other posts off of "Undertow", so for those just reading this thread, don't think I'm being unnecessarily harsh to ThreeDeviations... it's something that needs to be addressed).

Humility, my friend, and unity.

You don't hold the secret key, and neither do I.

Let's embrace that and move on to TALK WITH and not to CORRECT each other.

Thanks.

I think we ALL hold the key.....your correct that its not secret though.Unless you mean that we keep it a secret from ourselves.

ThreeDeviations
07-21-2006, 05:16 AM
Since you're insisting I reply, Melly...

It's Maynard's conscience talking to him throughout the song... with his conscience being HIS perception of what God would be saying to him for acceptance and realization.

Anything else?

Melanos
07-26-2006, 10:15 PM
what is conscious? or consciousness? oh yeah...its god. Universal Consciousness....look it up.
Third eye says it pretty well too.... "we are all of one conscious" So "HIS" is "OURS" there is no line of seperation other than ego.

Melanos
07-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Since you're insisting I reply, Melly...

It's Maynard's conscience talking to him throughout the song... with his conscience being HIS perception of what God would be saying to him for acceptance and realization.

Anything else?

also... nice answer to my question, way to avoid it altogether actually is what i mean. Here, let me copy and paste it for you :)

"I have an Honest question.......

"I am already there or beyond it".... how can you be beyond something that is limitless? and..... How can you honestly say that your allready there and make a statement like that? i know you love tool and thats great, i also think you have a working understanding of the "deeper level" but remember its ALLWAYS a "deeper level" you cannot ever touch the bottom or top of it because its limitless. With that said, and all due respect.......... "Lets defy ego before its far too late".

oh yeah.... and also remember that "feelings" are human, and human is ego.

Try and look at it from a spiritual being having a human experiance instead of the other way around. After all..... your flesh will die and rot along with everyone else."

Opiate_Of_The_Mind
08-23-2006, 08:11 PM
I mean, my opinion could be wrong... but this is how the song makes me feel... what it means to me...

Best ever. I mean, who are we to dictate the real meaning of this song. Maybe the meaning to all Tool songs are the same. What ever it means to you is correct for you.

As to the relation with God and the song, I never thought about thqt but now I think it will make me look at the song a different way. Awesome insite.

Opiate_Of_The_Mind
08-23-2006, 08:19 PM
After a quick look at the lyrics again I think I thought of another possible meaing. (For me atleast.)

For those of you that are familar with the work of Jung, you will know about "The Shadow." Basically, what if this song is about getting in touch with your shadow? Letting out what you hold back subconciously?

ThreeDeviations
08-23-2006, 08:33 PM
After a quick look at the lyrics again I think I thought of another possible meaing. (For me atleast.)

For those of you that are familar with the work of Jung, you will know about "The Shadow." Basically, what if this song is about getting in touch with your shadow? Letting out what you hold back subconciously?

hey Opiate...

you're talking about 46 and 2 aren't ya? not 4 degrees.

but yeah, I agree with what ya said relating to 46+2.

Opiate_Of_The_Mind
08-25-2006, 08:58 AM
hey Opiate...

you're talking about 46 and 2 aren't ya? not 4 degrees.

but yeah, I agree with what ya said relating to 46+2.

Actually, no I'm talking about Four Degrees. I know 46+2 also has similar references to the shadow in it. I just think this song has some yet more subtle.

Get up and free yourself from yourself.

Locked up inside you,
like the calm beneath castles,

is a cavern of treasures that
noone has been to.
Let's go digging.
Bring it out to take you back in.

Freeing yourself from yourself. I think of freeing the shadow which is locked up inside you from your conscious self which is not allowing this. The Shadow is being called a cavern of treasures. (Something you must work for in order to obtain.)

Also with the lyric: You won't do what you'd like to do.

You are stopping yourself from doing stuff that you really want to do. Again, makes me think of the shadow.

ThreeDeviations
08-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Actually, no I'm talking about Four Degrees. I know 46+2 also has similar references to the shadow in it. I just think this song has some yet more subtle.

Get up and free yourself from yourself.

Locked up inside you,
like the calm beneath castles,

is a cavern of treasures that
noone has been to.
Let's go digging.
Bring it out to take you back in.

Freeing yourself from yourself. I think of freeing the shadow which is locked up inside you from your conscious self which is not allowing this. The Shadow is being called a cavern of treasures. (Something you must work for in order to obtain.)

Also with the lyric: You won't do what you'd like to do.

You are stopping yourself from doing stuff that you really want to do. Again, makes me think of the shadow.

ah, okay.. thought you meant when he literally said "shadow."

yeah, 4 degrees is similar... though I think it's really his "divine" conscious (shadow) talking and pleading to him throughout the song.

Melanos
09-05-2006, 10:02 PM
dont matter....... 3deviations cant answer my questions..... or her own for that matter.

anyway, besides the "fundummies" on this site, yeah the shadow carl jung talks about has nothing to do with 4 degrees technically, i say technically because basically everything boils down to one, so therefor everything has to do with everything and nothing at the same time.

edit- "the shadow" isnt what you yourself hold back actually but what you choose not to accept, its allways there yet you seem to ignore it all the time. perfect fit for the analogy of a "shadow" ...... what else could it have been called?

edit #2- also.... for you christians that are familiar with the "footprints" scenario.