Atratus
01-09-2004, 06:12 AM
I can't help but notice a connection between track 08 and 13 on Aenima:

08:
"he told me that he thought we were selling out"
13:
"some say the end is near"

08:
"i've got some advice for you little buddy: before you point your finger you should know that i'm the man. And if i'm the man then you're the man and he's the man as well"
13:
"learn to swim, see you down in arizona bay"

The main difference seems to be in scale, 08 being more personal, aenima pertain to just about everyone (comets and meteors).

Also, the main concern in 08 seems TRUTH or AUTHENTICITY, whereas in 13 it's LIFE, or perhaps LOVE and LETTING GO ("fuck L.Ron Hubbard, fuck all..." (time to 'let go'? time for the culling of the weak?). 08 nor 13 does completely condemn the adressed (i'm the man, you're the man/learn to swim). Finally the reward for following all this advice is in 08: money (is a product begging for your dirty dollar), and in 13: life (learn to swim, see you down in arizona bay). (edit: aside from swimming and good music, hehe)

I'd like to visualize it as a journey up the lightningbolt path of the tree of life, 08 pertaining to the mastery of Tifaret (consciousness, communication, individualism, gold/money) as a foundation for Gevurah (will, discrimination, you and me), and 13 to the mastery of Chesed (love, acceptance, us/you&me together) to cross the abyss (ending in the great sea Binah; also recall the dress of the high priestess turning to water in tarot symbolism).

The influence of Gevurah, then, is not simply condemnation, nor does the acceptance of Chesed go without a word (learn to swim).

Well, that's as much as i couldn't ignore, so i'll leave it at that.
What do you think?

Ming
01-09-2004, 08:50 AM
Methinks you need to lay off the hashish, put down the tarot books, and go outside more often. You're overthinking it.

The subtextual themes in HwaP are cynicism and hypocrisy
In Aenema, catharsis

radmanics
01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
I'm sort of formulating a theory that tool base their albums on a few basic ideas, philosopher(s) etc... for Opiate Christianity, and Marx; Lateralus, probably chakras, planets, alchemy and a gernal idea of what they have in common (one mind, becoming a higher level etc)

For Ænima, I think there's a basis which is really quite simple: The state of mind of our culture, and a clensing of it, partly through carl jung's ideas. I feel these songs are related, but not directly; they both deal with a problem in society. Hooker, more with consumorism, and Ænema, with what you could call a condenced america, with a lot of the social problems being concentrated in the one city.

I think that made sense.. sorry if it didn't

cfhrevolutioncfh
01-27-2004, 01:14 AM
I'm sort of formulating a theory that tool base their albums on a few basic ideas, philosopher(s) etc... for Opiate Christianity, and Marx; Lateralus, probably chakras, planets, alchemy and a gernal idea of what they have in common (one mind, becoming a higher level etc)

For Ænima, I think there's a basis which is really quite simple: The state of mind of our culture, and a clensing of it, partly through carl jung's ideas. I feel these songs are related, but not directly; they both deal with a problem in society. Hooker, more with consumorism, and Ænema, with what you could call a condenced america, with a lot of the social problems being concentrated in the one city.

I think that made sense.. sorry if it didn't
check out john locke's essay on tolerance if you were implying him as one of the philosopher's i'm sorry. but it seems to fit hand in hand with schism

Atratus
02-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Ah well, to each his own opinion it seems. Thanks for your input though.

anna
02-08-2004, 05:41 PM
Atratus: although i disagree with your greater theory regarding hooker with a penis and aenima; i had never noticed what you illustrate in aenima: that a chance for redemption is offered in the condemnation ("learn to swim..."). Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

radmanics
02-14-2004, 04:07 PM
check out john locke's essay on tolerance if you were implying him as one of the philosopher's i'm sorry. but it seems to fit hand in hand with schism

Never heard of this guy, but I'll be sure to look him up, thanks =]

Talonwulf
02-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Its good you looked into that so deeply buuuut it was a waste of time.

I cant see an exact clear message there. Hooker with a penis is like ticks and leeches. It sounds good but isnt so symbolic or metaphorical as their other songs. Its basically, like most normal lyrics from other bands, just telling the story straight. Selling out and flushing the souless from LA has absoloutely no conenction what so ever in my opinion. But whatever u think

Atratus
04-25-2004, 02:24 AM
Continued in the light of the NWO

The boy in Hooker w/a penis is a poster boy for ... what?

Brand names? Or control tactics?

Flasback to Message from Harry Manback: "I know black magic/you're gonna die of cancer"

The flood, like the disasters that are coming, may not have been 'caused' by those/he who claim(s) so. They simply took credit for it, to deceive others into serving such great power. Same with Aenima, which can catch anyone not aware of the nearing end. But only mom takes the credit in Aenima.

They still put a person through similar tests: to push the limits, to allow a person to test his will to live. First to overcome in hwap, then to survive in aenima (and then go on to evolve).

To alle yee that tell mee i overanalyze... You're right. Don't give a damn.
I SHOULD lay off the hashish though, thank you for reminding me.

Camernr
05-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Never heard of this guy, but I'll be sure to look him up, thanks =]
Almost all of the Enlightenment era philosophes were published and most of their books are very interesting. Hobbes and Nietzsche are two of my favorites as their ideas can easily be seen in modern society.

radmanics
05-23-2004, 02:11 AM
I think I might be looking at Nietzche next year.. summer and I'l learn :P (3 months later lol)