PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Area Miking

Matteran
01-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Here is my mic setup

-SM57 on the guitar
-three generic dynamic mics on the drumset (snare/hit-hat/cowbell, toms/cymbals, and bass drum) (these mics are surprisingly good sounding)
-SM57 beta for vocals
-direct-injection for the bass

Now, i just recieved a MXL V67G (http://www.mxlmics.com/condencer_mic/condenser_index.html) in the mail that i am going to use for tablas, and other acoustic instruments, but for tomorrow's recording session there arn't going to be any thing like that. Now, should i use this mic as an area mic (as it is a large diaphram condensor), or should i use it as an area mic specifically for the drums, or use it to mainly mic the bass (for better tone) (i will still be direct-injecting), and still get a little ambiance due to it's sensitive nature?

Well, with that question out of the way, this brought me to another question. How important is area miking? I know it's important to area mic the drum set, but how important is it to just have one mic in the middle of the room? (we are live recording) Or will the other mics on all the other instruments sort of area mic their general vicinity, and thus cause the illusion of an area mic in the middle of the room?

Sorry for the long post, but i am very curious, and would like if someone could reply tonight, as we are recording tomorrow night.

paraflux
01-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Use it as an overhead for the drums. Are all of you going to be together in the same room? This will cause very unnecessary bleed in the first place. You would have to turn your guitar cabs around facing away from you so that those mics pick up enough guitar.

Matteran
01-09-2004, 02:55 PM
yeah, we'll be in the same room, and it's not too much trouble to have the guitar cab turned away from the mic. thanks for the suggestion.

Hurter Vileslay
01-16-2004, 05:08 AM
If you dont mind (and have the gear for) doing overdubbing then use it for all those things.