PDA

View Full Version : name for Disp/Refl/Triad?

Jojo
11-19-2002, 03:38 PM
I was listening to the collection of songs this morning on the bus ride to school, and i was thinking, what whould YOU have named the "song" if tool had orignally kept it as one track? for me, it would probably be the last of the 3 songs, "Traid"
now let's hear your opinion

and i apolgize for any grammer/spelling errors you have found

ClockworkPmpkin
11-19-2002, 04:58 PM
How about Dispoflectriad?

The Border Line
11-19-2002, 07:55 PM
DiRT

elevate
11-20-2002, 08:02 AM
How bout The Trinity?

carnage039
11-20-2002, 03:04 PM
Shall be dubbed Resolution from here on in...I've been trying to get this title familar with Tool fans as of late. If anyone remembers, Resolution was the name of Reflection before it was changed for the delayed release of Lateralus ...I think it fits if you ask me.

Genocidal
11-20-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by carnage039
Shall be dubbed Resolution from here on in...I've been trying to get this title familar with Tool fans as of late. If anyone remembers, Resolution was the name of Reflection before it was changed for the delayed release of Lateralus ...I think it fits if you ask me.

I agree in full. It's a great way to sum up a combination of one's disposition, a reflection of it, and some sort of triad of divinity. I just wish Tool could have put the three indexes under one title on the CD tracklist.

mike tyson
11-21-2002, 02:34 PM
If it were a whole, the boys would have thought up something other than a combination of the names of the tracks as they are now. So I feel they most likely would have had no title close to Reflection Triad or Disposition. Thats what I feel, but if I were to name this song, perhaps... Trilogy.

ragna16
11-21-2002, 03:04 PM
I think the name would have to show the path to, process of, and state in enlightening. A resolution with ones inner-self, resolving the past problems, a great resolve with the soul.

disposition8
11-25-2002, 06:15 AM
I may be wrong but I think the song was origanally supposed to be one song. whether or not them splitting it up into three seperate songs has any particular significance or if it was just so there wasnt a 25 minute song on the cd I couldnt say. If I was going to name it anything I'd probably name it syzergy, but thats just cuz i like the word >=).

TheHollow
11-25-2002, 06:32 AM
Looking in!

Kitteh
11-25-2002, 09:09 AM
syzergy...that's a funny word. Well, if the three songs were to be one, I'd name it Reflection. It just suits the three songs.

frater aaa
11-25-2002, 01:45 PM
Fractal.
Its all fractals anyawys. Spiral.

disposition8
11-25-2002, 02:32 PM
Syzergy - concept that jung uses to describe male/female opposition. the tying together of opposites, the energy that comes from the pulling apart of the opposites etc etc. i just like the word >=)

timesig.net
11-25-2002, 05:49 PM
I think that Reflections is the best name for this song trio. The triad has a powerful moving scope of dynamic music, which seems to showcase each member. I wonder if this was done to show how each member feels about this song. Danny gets worked up with disposition and then warms up with reflection in order to meet the polyrythmic rapsodys in which his hands and feet must partake in order to complete triad. Adam takes a break after Lateralus during disposition(album order), and then cranks it up for some cool chords on reflection, and finally a neat tribal feel in triad(with lots of distortion). Justin chills for the first too pretty much and sets down whatever he feels like on triad, it kinda branches a little. Maynard is somber during disposition(it sounds like) but he has hope. Reflection is like a closing statement, just saying, listen to this-its 12 minutes long. Triad is so cool as an instrumental that maynard's vocal modification is not required.

the count
11-26-2002, 02:12 AM
i think its better as 3 songs, with 3 different titles. each title represents in a nutshell the core ideas of the songs, and all of them have totally different ideas and themes, and theres not a name that fits them all. there simply cant be.

disposition8
11-26-2002, 10:13 PM
I've seen them three times, and while they played all three songs in order for two of them, there didn't seem to be any tied in theme among the three. maybe I was missing something, I dont know. But I suppose if they considered it one song and didnt get to present it that way on the album, that they WOULD live and I just didnt feel like it was presented that way. Thought Id point out that lil tidbit >=)

monko
11-27-2002, 07:49 PM
I'd name this "song" our cool dream theather kind of song...this three songs have no definite meaning, the "watch the weather change" thing is odd, maybe Maynard was really high when he was writing lyrics...I'd name it "Weather Forecaste"

volcano lance
11-27-2002, 10:00 PM
Resolution is the best I've heard so far. But you know the guys, they'd thought of something that no one has posted yet.

48&2
11-28-2002, 02:50 AM
I would have named it 'mantra'....but I guess that was already taken...

dork
11-29-2002, 10:02 PM
I think the reason why the song was split up was to convey the different elements of a resolution. just a thought.

lonely_host
12-06-2002, 04:19 PM
I would call it "Dharana"..

spiralion
12-21-2002, 02:24 PM
Alignment- as in the alignment with the center of the Galaxy that is going to happen on December 21, 2012

Slave#1
12-21-2002, 06:46 PM
Why couldn't the 3 songs just be known as "Triad?" "Triad" meens three and they are three songs that go together...so why not just keep the three tracks together as one instead of making them seperate.

King Crimson had a BUNCH of songs that had mulitple names and parts and they left them as ONE SONG. So, why did TOOL break their movement up into three seperate songs?

SonOfWillieTheP
12-30-2002, 03:07 AM
Yeah...we can name it this or that but the fact is it's already done for us! It exists! I'll rest my case....

drum_dood
01-07-2003, 05:45 PM
am i the only person in the world that thinks triad doesn't go well with Disposition and Reflection? I mean, those two are both in 4/4 time and are slower-type emotional songs. triad is in 3 (hence the name) and has no vocals really and not much emotion...i just don't see how it fits the cycle. if they would've made these all one song i think the best possible sequence would be Triad/Disposition/Reflection, after all, shouldn't Reflection be reflecting back on the song....maybe i'm just retarded...

Narcissus
01-10-2003, 06:32 PM
I agree with Drum_dood from a musical standpoint...it would be good to start strong...then end with a reflective though/idea in the form of reflection.

But if I were to go along with everything having one meaning...perhaps triad is the changing of pace in the journey. Indicated by Maynards change in emotion/school of thought at the end of Reflection...perhaps this could be the next step? It doesn't necessarily have to match our preconceived notions or the experiences we have already been a part of.

halo99
01-18-2003, 10:38 PM
how about the Triforce?

Anar
02-03-2003, 08:07 AM
I think you beter give it a more powerfull name, like Unity, or Universe. All powerfull things consist of 3 parts, 2 polarized things and the glue between them, like body, brians and mind. Then you could say that Disposition is the relaxed Mind, Reflection is the Brains that are allways thinking and Triad is the brutal and energetic Body

Windowlicker
02-04-2003, 08:57 AM
i thought it was named Solution by tool original but i would name it.... Three american flags in a three feet high pile of
shit.

Ambion
02-04-2003, 11:49 AM
According to Maynard in an interview, the song as a whole is called Resolution. Its someplace in the articles section, in the year 2001.

Anon
03-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Yeah - I thnk Resolution would be a pretty cool name for the 3 songs combined.

plastichippo
03-17-2004, 07:48 PM
"Resolution" is a little too obvious for the name of a Tool song/idea don't ya think? I'm pretty sure that's why they may have changed it.

MiChElLe89
10-17-2004, 08:12 PM
I think the songs are great separated. Of course, knowing Tool, there is a reason for them being separated. And of course, as we all know, we can theorize for days upon weeks...And we will still never know the reason why. And that is why we love Tool. Is it not?

Cyanide ChrYst
10-21-2004, 07:54 PM
I dont understand why maynard didnt just name the entire trio "Orgasm".

Cyanide ChrYst
10-21-2004, 07:56 PM
I think the songs are great separated. Of course, knowing Tool, there is a reason for them being separated. And of course, as we all know, we can theorize for days upon weeks...And we will still never know the reason why. And that is why we love Tool. Is it not?

Record label wanted more tracks. Otherwise it'd look like an EP.

TheHolyGift
10-21-2004, 08:00 PM
I would have named it diarrhea. No reason, I just always wanted to hear a good song called diarrhea.

randomhero8823
10-22-2004, 06:50 PM
I would name it Disploflectioniad. Im lazy.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-23-2004, 03:31 PM
I think it should be called Triad. It makes sense.

Dictionary.com states that triad is not a word. Hm.

randomhero8823
10-24-2004, 04:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triad_%28disambiguation%29

Wikipedia an online encyclopedia. says Triad is a grouping of three, makes sense.

Triangular_Vision
10-24-2004, 05:09 PM
DiRT

i think this is the best name yet... if u look at it as we are all one, i am dirt, everything but i is uppercase putting the world first... i dunno.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-28-2004, 10:39 PM
I am turned on by this discussion.

JeffGirard
05-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Syzergy - concept that jung uses to describe male/female opposition. the tying together of opposites, the energy that comes from the pulling apart of the opposites etc etc. i just like the word >=)
Jung uses the word "Synergy" with an 'n'. Syzergy with a 'z' is not a word, although I agree that it sounds pretty cool. Perhaps someone here meant "syzygy," the planetary alignment of the sun and the moon around the earth in either opposition or conjuction. This thread is probably really old, but when I read this I went out and looked everywhere online for "syzergy". I wanted to save someone else from doing the same. Also, I think "Resolution" is the best name for it, as mentioned. Thanks.

Intertwined
07-29-2005, 09:47 PM
I believe triad would probably be most sufficent, DiRT would be good, but I doubt Tool would go for it.

Citizen Erased
08-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Maybe something along the lines of describing the songs. Seeing as they are tied in 3, you could also see it as a beginning, middle and an end. Something like a story.

The songs don't tell a story as such (or maybe they do?), but maybe it could be seen that way. I'm not sure of a name that could describe a beginning, middle and end.

Fiction?
Allegory?
Chronicle?
Spiel?

I'm not really sure, something to ponder on.

TenSpeed
08-27-2005, 08:01 PM
First thing that came to my mind..."Complexium"

SpiralOutKeepGoing
08-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Record label wanted more tracks. Otherwise it'd look like an EP.

Same reason that the Mars Volta broke up the tracks on Frances The Mute because if they didnt it would have been a 5 song CD and it would indeed look like a 79 minute EP.

s ti N Kfizt
08-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Resolution or Triad

Chris_Brightwell
08-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Disp/Refl were recorded together. Triad was tacked onto the end.

nicolas
09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
if i only had a brain, i would call it "abysmal intersubjectivity 3"
just cause.
i feel that triad is pretty good, but it really only pertains to the last of the set, 3some, guitar, drum, and bass.
and in refuse. disposition and reflection seem to be about the same, flawlessly integrated. Triad, to me, both in form of disp/refl juxtapose in lyric-less beautiful chewiness. TooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTo oLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooL tOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtO OlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOlTooLtOOl

nicolas
09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
i just dig it, totally

Brandon Heat
09-09-2005, 07:46 PM
first of all reflection is probably a real good name for it and resolution while the best makes me wonder thats probably why they split them up you have this 25 minute song, track that is just loaded with so much energy and a lot of work and came just so amazing it was hard to just classify it as one just could not be contained as it was dunno maybe

Citizen Erased
10-01-2005, 06:20 AM
Same reason that the Mars Volta broke up the tracks on Frances The Mute because if they didnt it would have been a 5 song CD and it would indeed look like a 79 minute EP.

Same with De-loused too, it was an 8 track CD originally, but the record company wanted a minimum of 10.

5th Eye
10-01-2005, 06:26 AM
I think that's retarded.

LetTheRabbitsWearGlasses
10-01-2005, 06:32 AM
I was wondering why tira [something] and the first track were on there...

placidium
10-01-2005, 09:15 AM
i'd have called it "dirkadirka muhammad gihad!".

moneyisevil
10-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Monkeys love bananas

jk

Just call the whole thing Reflection

Reflection is cool enough for d/r/t

cureformax
10-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Dr. T

Fritz
11-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Found the article it was from an interview with Danny in Modern Drummer.

"MD: "Disposition," "Reflection," "Triad" ---are these a trilogy?

Danny: Yes, They were constructed as one song. At twenty minutes, the
three together was a little long, so we split them up.

MD: "Resolution" is serious sex orgy in the mosh pit.

Danny: I'm proud of that. It's a departure for us to do something so
trance-like in a way. It's repetitive and groove-oriented rather than
a slamming thing. That piece has really grown on me.

ARMZ
11-03-2005, 10:47 PM
I would've called it 'Trifecta' cause it pays off.

iAMtheMA!
12-17-2006, 04:09 AM
13. godhead (finish)

pineal access: <--- RESOLUTION? (to the godhead?^)
12. /crown
11. }forty-five degrees
10. \third eye

09. nose
08. chin
07. throat
06. heart (personal)

05. heart (christ)
04. solar plexus
03. will-ego
02. sex
01. survival (start)

mr. nikki jensen
12-17-2006, 06:58 AM
Triad should be name "Machines Static" instead and be seperated from the other two.

Disposition + Reflection = Reflection

oualt-edu
12-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Rose high.

ThirdEyEwidEopEn
12-27-2006, 12:31 PM
They could have left those tracks blank for all I care, it might be the best string of songs ever like its really epic and ground shattering when you think about it. Just such a powerful string and how they all seamlessly segue together. I can remember just playing this album over and over and over when it first came out. SO so so goood. IF tool never releases another album, ill still be thankful for what they have given us over all these years...

orcaloverbri9
01-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I think the idea of Triad having no words was because there are no words to express it; only music can even begin to touch on the idea of rising to a heightened spiritual enlightenment (which is what Reflection is about). Basically, the three songs form the sequence of enlightenment: first you slow down and "watch the weather change" (Disposition), then you reflect and meditate (Reflection), and after doing so, you have reached enlightenment, which is the meaning of Triad.

Also, I find that the name "Resolution" is perfect.

iAMtheMA!
01-18-2007, 10:58 AM
"I think the idea of Triad having no words was because there are no words to express it" bingo.