PDA

View Full Version : A Cover

Matteran
01-06-2004, 05:28 PM
My band S4RZ is going to record a cover to "Milkshake" by Kalis this friday, and I was just getting the notes down on the guitar. Just download this small file, and download the song off of kazaa, and compare the guitar part to the synth part. The guitar part is supposed to sound darker, and keep in mind we arn't going to be singing the song, we are going to be yelling it (like slayer, but deeper, but not as muddy as cannibal corpse). I'll post the final recording later, but i just wanted your comments.

http://www.neuroleptic.net/linkedstuff/milkshake.mp3

(800kb, at 92kbs)

[edit: the artists name is actually "Kelis"]

Choler
01-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Never heard the song before, but form what I hear you playing it doesn't sound that hard to cover, if that is what you are playing over and over. You should try embellishing that part a bit, change from the normal, try and make it yours. Just a thought.

Matteran
01-06-2004, 06:38 PM
dude, listen to the damn song i'm covering, then you'll understand why i'm not trying to make it my own, instead, as the other band members of S4RZ, we are trying to sadomize the song, not make it our own.

When you hear the final cover, you'll get it...

Choler
01-06-2004, 07:46 PM
why in the sweet jesus would you cover that song? I'm sorry but I am just confused at your choice, are you trying to lose all dignity that you have and make your bands image that of a shitty pop covering failure? If you have any respect for yourself, you wouldn't cover that song, but create your own music. Or are you just testing the limits of your bands talent?

and by the way, the guitar part sounds just like the synth, not any darker. add some distortion maybe.
But yeah, I await the sodomized version of the song, if that is possible.

Matteran
01-06-2004, 09:51 PM
see i'm in two bands. One being Neuroleptic... which is my soul... everything i live for at the moment... some poor recordings can be found at:

http://www.neuroleptic.net

However, I'm also the bassist for a band named S4RZ. How can you take that seriously? You cannot. We currently have two songs, one named Cocaine Laced Anal Condoms, a personal favorite, and a song that sounds like sadomized RATM. Our newest song is going to be the cover that is the topic of this thread. S4RZ does not have a website, nor any respect. We are a jam band, and we fucking rock.

S4RZ and Neuroleptic are in no way related as is Tool, and say Pigmy Love Circus... the relationship, and purpose is the same between bands.

(that's me in my avatar, in that picture i am playing a concert at a local theatre, along with my brothers of Neuroleptic.)

ImACarnation
01-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Haha, interesting song to cover...the original is a hot club song.

On another note: I get that you want to make a sort of parody of the original, but it wouldn't hurt if you spelled the person's name, whose song you're covering correctly...eh just a thought.

Matteran
01-07-2004, 02:42 PM
oops, sorry didn't realize i misspelled her name.

layersbeyondimagination
01-10-2004, 07:56 PM
why in God's name would you wanna cover kelis? honestly, how can you like great music like tool, then wanna cover kelis. makes no sense to me.

profound lyrics : my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
and mine is better than yours
damn right its better than yours

Matteran
01-10-2004, 08:14 PM
okay, well, the drummer got ecoli or something, so, yeah, we couldn't record friday. But the guitarist and me got together, and we organized it, and i did some singing(growling), and believe you me, it's going to fucking rock hardcore. But i'm not sure when we will be able to record, so i may have started this thread a little premature.

Matteran
01-12-2004, 07:39 PM
I was testing out my new mic for vocals, and decided to record me singing the sadomized version of the milkshake song. You'll notice that somewhere near the end, I get lost, because i don't really sing this shitty song very much. But tell me what you think. If you didn't believe that the sadomized version will be at least kind of funny, this should change your mind. Oh yeah, and rate my death metal vocals.

http://www.neuroleptic.net/linkedstuff/milkshakeSado.mp3
(2.19mb, at 96kbps)

Choler
01-13-2004, 10:27 AM
if I were there while you were recording, I would have slapped you. seems like your breath stinks.

But seriously, you have a kick ass metal voice, are you going to umm growl the parts you didn't in the finished mess? I guess I am looking forward to the final product. Have fun.

Matteran
01-13-2004, 02:44 PM
my breath stinks? i don't know what you're talking about. But yeah, i was just testing my mic, and giving myself a better idea of the final product.

brilliantname
01-15-2004, 11:23 AM
http://www.neuroleptic.net/linkedstuff/milkshakeSado.mp3
(2.19mb, at 96kbps)

Lol that was hilarious.

Matteran
01-15-2004, 06:02 PM
this is our t-shirt design for S4RZ, the font is undecided as of yet, but the image is probably final.

http://www.neuroleptic.net/linkedstuff/s4rz.jpg

Hurter Vileslay
01-16-2004, 03:39 AM
Sounds kinda promising (in a cheesy death metal pop cover kinda way)

Vocals good, mic good too.

What recording gear you use?

"why in God's name would you wanna cover kelis? honestly, how can you like great music like tool, then wanna cover kelis. makes no sense to me." Layersbeyond imagination

Err maybe cos he doesnt take it too seriously?
If he was taking it seriously then yeah id worry about his mental state but otherwise no he can cover whatever song he damn well wants

Matteran
01-16-2004, 09:32 AM
well, we've got a berigner 8-track mixer (2 stereo channels)

an sm57 for the guitar
a MXL V67G (which i recorded the vocals on, but will be used for area miking)
sm57 Beta for the guy who actually sings in our band, and doesn't scream
direct-in for the bass
and three generic dynamic mics on the dumset, along with the area mic mentioned above.

as for equipment, the drummer has some sort of pearl drumset (it's good) i think export series
Then the guitarist have a 100watt Sovtek all tube amp, with a 4x12 cab
I've got an ibanez GSR200 bass (no amping equipment yet, that's why we direct in, we just use a 15watt guitar practice amp so i can hear myself)

it's going to rock, however, we've still got like a few days until we can record. We're going to record on the last day of finals, for our annual "Fuck the Finals" jam.

Winds of Fame9
01-22-2004, 08:32 AM
no joke... that was the funniest song i've ever heard in my life! haha i totally wanna hear the final song when it's done instant message me on aol at Windsoffame9

Matteran
01-23-2004, 12:27 AM
Today is the day. Yesterday (two hours ago) we did the "fuck finals" jam, which was going to be the original plan to record the milkshake song, but we just couldn't buckle down, there were a lot of people there, and not just the band members, but in about 12 hours we are getting together again, and we are going to record the milkshake song [sodomized version]

TakenUndertow
02-08-2004, 02:46 PM
is this a joke ths is A TOOL MESSAGE BOARD HOW CAN YOU LIKE TOOL AND THEN LIKE THAT CHEESY ASS RAP HIPPY HOP SONG. It Makes us real music fans wicked pissed off ..It's like ahhh!!!!! why?why?why?
makes me cry

Matteran
02-09-2004, 12:04 AM
so, we've recorded the song multiple times, but being perfectionists, we just want to get everything perfect. And if you try to download anything posted above, it won't work, because my webservice got cancelled.