PDA

View Full Version : vegetarians or ass holes?

magdalena_jane
01-05-2004, 11:37 AM
being a vegetarian, i've tried to understand this song much much more than i should have. first i'd like to address those who think we don't kill animals but we're okay with killing plants.... vegetarians become such for different reasons but mainly stay that way because of the torture that the animals actually go through before they are killed for people to eat. i don't want any part in that. more detail: http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=mym2002

i don't know what maynard intended but i think it's from both points of view.... the animal and any vegetarian. i read a post that spoke of vitamin K and such that it makes the rabbits see.. so it would be the holocaust for the carrots... this doesn't make sense in that their are voices in the background of what sounds like sheep. (this could be the sheep listening to the preacher or actual sheep that are going to be slaughtered) he then rants and raves and this leads you to believe that he or someone close to him (that he would be writing about) is a vegetarian... but then he adds: "this is necessary... life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life" then the sounds of gunshots go off.... so being a vegetarian, the first time i heard it, i was happy as maynard was saying "They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you!" because they do, of course... and then he said such that it was necessary that life feed on life and yes, it is. we can feed on life but we don't have to torture it before we eat it... plants aren't tortured... as far as i know so i will continue to eat them.

sorry this is sloppy... just a bunch of thoughts jumbled together

regarding the poem that is later read: i don't know what the fuck that is all about

crow011
01-05-2004, 11:46 AM
ive been called a vegetarian arsehole before . . .

it never stops hurting . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .

salival_sty
01-13-2004, 04:17 AM
I only eat lion-steaks. Ever see lions hunting, killing and eating a gazelle? It's a barbaric thing! I decided that the only moral response for a compassionate individual to make to this disgusting, violent, leonine practice is to kill lions, thus removing a source of gazelles' continued suffering. And, since I don't believe in needlessly killing an animal, I eat every lion killed.

christ oxide
01-27-2004, 04:44 PM
The sheep represent people following the preacher (maynard)

CCD
03-14-2004, 04:56 AM
All vegetarians should shut up and eat a meat cookie.

spazX22
08-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Do vegetarians use glue? isnt glue made out of cows feet and stuff, hence the picture of a cows head on the elmers glue bottle.

As the cow in the public service announcement in the simpson's says "you wont eat with our meat, but you'll glue with our feet".

goddamn hippie pussies.

Thrakandor
08-12-2004, 03:07 PM
The mystical function of myth - which Campbell describes as "the reconciliation of consciousness with the preconditions of its own existence;" those preconditions being that "life feeds on life," (http://www.citysoul.net/theory.htm) as he was oft quoted as saying - is what transforms the dreadful into the "awe"-ful, and thus bearable in spite of everything. It is a leap of faith beyond the obvious facts of existence which, for us, always end in death, and for most, work their way through suffering and deprivations worthy of despair. In order for the human experiment to continue, the Human Being has to find this point of reference beyond mere reason which catapults the imagination into realms of wonder which render the miserable conditions of existence beautiful and somehow, meaningful. This is the first and greatest power of myth - to render life livable to thinking creatures. Thus, the new charge placed upon ministers of this millennium is that we must use the tools of the mythopoetic imagination, within the limits of reason and modern, scientific cosmology, to make possible the feelings of awe and wonder that make it a "reasonable proposition" to overcome Nietzschean nihilism and get out of bed in the morning. This is no small task, but it is clearly the one function of a living mythology which must be borne by the clergy and the artists, for no one else is capable of making sense of it.

Also, I think this will put things in perspective for you:

A tiny parable

Another of Campbell's favorite illustrations for this concept of two planes of consciousness is a tiny parable from a Hindu scripture, the Rig Veda. It goes like this: On the Tree of Life there are two birds, fast friends. One bird eats the fruit of the Tree; the other bird, not eating, watches.

Or, expressed even more succinctly: Two birds, fast friends; one eats, one watches.

Our Tree of Life has two birds in it representing these two different orientations, these two planes of consciousness. The one bird, eating the fruit, participates in the field of action. He's killing a fruit - life feeds on life (http://firstuu.org/html/schaibly_sermon/sermon_bode_110203.html). (For Campbell, you don't escape the sorrows of the world by being a vegetarian. "Ever heard a carrot scream?" he quips.)

Try as you might, you can't avoid the field of action or its difficulties and the necessary decisions involved. But you can see a larger reality even in the midst of the sorrows of the world. And that's the role of the second bird in our Tree of Life, the one representing the metaphysical observer within us, who, detached from the action, simply watches without judgment, and from this perspective is able to see a reality that embraces and transcends the "sorrows of the world," and, with wonder and astonishment, observes the vitality and beauty of the whole.

Thus, says Campbell, we need both perspectives in life; we need to live simultaneously in both worlds...not easy to do, because, on the one hand, we tend to get so caught up in the action, so attached to our position in the action, that we miss the glory of the divine play. Or, on the other hand, having detached from the yes-no, the winning-losing, the good-evil, we hold ourselves back from the play, perhaps overcome by its tension and anxiety, or put off by its pain, sorrow, and ruthlessness.
Well this is hella belated, but good post. Where'd you get the info?