PDA

View Full Version : New Order for Lateralus

saut
01-04-2004, 09:59 AM
This has probably been posted here at some point in time, hell, for all I know, someone who posts here wrote this. In any case, I though I would show you all this website that someone pointed out to me, which has an alternate track order for the songs on Lateralus.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/question/insight7.html

The new order of the songs is:

Parabol
Parabola
Schism
Ticks & Leeches
Mantra
Lateralus
Faaip de Oiad
The Grudge
Triad
Eon Blue Apocalypse
Reflection
The Patient
Disposition

At first, I thought this new order wouldn't work quite so well, mainly because of the separation of Reflection-Disposition-Triad. However, the songs flow together surprisingly well, and I've noticed some similarities between songs to make connections that I had not previously made (The Grudge flows seamlessly into Triad and the songs sound strikingly similiar).

Edit: Yep, it's been posted before, as I suspected: http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?t=11637&highlight=lateralus+order

Phlame
01-08-2004, 07:45 PM
woah i have to try this but DRT seperate?? i am quite skeptical

MORNING_GLORY
01-09-2004, 03:36 PM
This is the only way I listen to Lateralus anymore. This could be the secret of Lateralus that Blair talks about sometimes, or a part of it. But it does make perfect sense. A parabola is formed with the two beginning lines of the Golden Spiral, just as the first two tracks of the alternate order create a parabola in the Lateralus spiral. Now the fun part is trying to connect all the songs to the spiral.

a fire inside
01-11-2004, 10:42 AM
it also makes sense lyrically, it follows a story of two lovers/friends/whatever that start out together, in an intimate way (parabol/parabola.) then the seperation occurs (schism.) then theres the anger afterwards (ticks and leeches.) later in teh album there is still an underlying grudge against the person (the grudge.) then there is teh reflection of the event/fight./former relationship and the calm reality of being ni teh present state in dispostion.

MORNING_GLORY
01-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Heres my theory, its not complete yet, but I'm working on it.

In the alternate track order there are two spirals formed, and they are connected (or separated) by Faaip de Oiad.
I assume the song Lateralus is about the whole album, so I took the line "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind." and applied it to the two spirals. Maybe one spiral is the body, and the other is the mind. If I had to guess, I'd say the first spiral (Parabol/Parabola, Schism, Ticks & Leeches, Mantra and Lateralus) is the body, and the second (The Grudge, Triad, Eon Blue, Reflection, The Patient and Disposition) would be the mind. I can see similarities for each. Parabol/Parabola is obvious, Ticks & Leeches are parasites that feed off other bodies, and I'm not sure about the rest yet. As for the mind, well, like I said I'm still working on it. Faaip de Oiad is the "over thinking, over analyzing" part.
I'm not sure how this all works out yet, so I'd love to hear some ideas.

clown137
01-12-2004, 06:35 PM
this is soooooooooo beyond me it blows me away more than the l_a t_e r_a l_u_s meaning thread. man anyone who can fully understand this, congrats

g-bay-be
01-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Yowzer.. i like that order i have to write it down... And i did.. hmm very intresting concept

Unhuman Elactic
01-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Perhaps the correct order at the end goes
Grudge, track 2 , track 3, 10, 11, 12?

But the album feels like its...like it would be ordered if tool where Dream Theater/Metallica or something, y'know? Sucsession of hit after hit etc...

(And then the singles are the 2nd and 3rd tracks...)

And if you read the lyrics in order, the follow each other, like the supposed story.

layersbeyondimagination
01-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Perhaps the correct order at the end goes
Grudge, track 2 , track 3, 10, 11, 12?

But the album feels like its...like it would be ordered if tool where Dream Theater/Metallica or something, y'know? Sucsession of hit after hit etc...

(And then the singles are the 2nd and 3rd tracks...)

And if you read the lyrics in order, the follow each other, like the supposed story.

every song on lateralus is a hit. no filler no shit. aenima has some filler i think even though its still good but not to their own standards id say even though everything they put on an album probably has a purpose.

onemind
01-14-2004, 06:59 PM
does anyone know if someone has posted the edited version somewhere on the net? if so could you give a link? thanks