PDA

View Full Version : My first recording...

Jebus
01-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Well I've finally decided to put up my first (and so far only) song...if it can be called a song...it's more like a filler I guess...a short track like eon blue or something...anyway...it's a few chords on drop d played with as much delay as I can get out of my amp...and a 'lead'...which just plays a few notes, also with delay...I'll be the first one to admit it's not musical genius (and could do with 'some' (hehe) more work)...but it has a nice relaxing feel about it...it's called, unsuprisingly, 'dull'...opinions?

www.angelfire.com/jazz/jebus_site/music/dull.mp3

or if that doesn't work...try the site itself, and marvel at my command of the html language

www.angelfire.com/jazz/jebus_site

m4yn4rd
01-03-2004, 07:24 PM
yay, i wish it was longer

Jebus
01-03-2004, 07:34 PM
perhaps later I will make it longer...my musical talents at the moment are not quite good enought to make five chords sound good for more than a minute...but maybe if I play around with some other chords something will come to mind...but at the moment I don't want to ruin it by pushing it to be too long...thanks for the input

Maya
01-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Those chords are quite beautiful. What are they (by name or tab is just fine)

For real. I like it. I could hear a drum and bass over it with a bassline rocking it hard like NIN.

Jebus
01-04-2004, 11:08 PM
yay...people like my song...I guess now I'll have to start listening to other peoples songs...i dunno about adding bass or stuff to it...I'm quite happy with it at the moment thought it could do with some work...but perhaps after that bit...like how it is now would be the intro...and then go into some distortion...anyway, here are the chords...

E---------3--5-------------10--12--14----------------
B---------3--5--3---------------------------------------
G-7--7---5--7--2---------------------------------------
D-7--6---5--7--0--------------------------12--14--16
A-5--7---3--5--0---------------------------------------
D-0--0---3--5--0---------------------------------------

that's about it...I bet the song doesn't seem as great now...just mess around with how many strings you play for each chord...sometimes I may only hit a few...ummm...and the first two chords...sometimes after them, when the delay is ringing, i'll hit the high e open...or pick the chords a bit...the notes at the end are what my 'lead' is based around...you should be able to figure something out easy enough

Jebus
01-09-2004, 11:01 PM
well i got around to adding a bit more to my song...just some cool acoustic, slow finger picking stuff...still real simple...but it works...I'd like to know whether people think that it flows...or does it really sound like I just threw another bit in? anyway, here's the link...and thanks to those who replied earlier

www.angelfire.com/jazz/jebus_site/music/dull_new.mp3

my other worry is that it may sound like 'hey you' by pink floyd...anyone else hear this?

The Grudge
01-10-2004, 09:46 AM
This is pretty good.

Hurter Vileslay
01-16-2004, 05:00 AM
Thats pretty cool

Mind if I do a remix of it?

Jebus
01-16-2004, 05:13 AM
Thats pretty cool

Mind if I do a remix of it?

yeah...go nuts...er...if you want I can upload the tracks for that (i use cool edit pro - you referred to that in another thread)...or if you plan to use this or play it yourself thats cool...

thanks for replying

Hurter Vileslay
01-16-2004, 05:30 AM
yeah please-Ill probably use the tracks and the stereo version in one way or another

Jebus
01-16-2004, 05:39 AM
argh...bugger...I've lost the original tracks for the first bit...the lead and rhythm bit...I have the original mixed version of that...you could probably split the left right channels...though you'd get a bit of left in the right channel and vice versa...anyway...I'm too tired at the moment, 2:45 over here...if you come back same time tommorow I'll probably have something sorted out...

Jebus
01-16-2004, 05:50 AM
actually, i'll do it now...

www.angelfire.com/jazz/jebus_site/music/dull.mp3

should be the first bit

www.angelfire.com/jazz/jebus_site/music/dulltrack_acoustic2.mp3

should be the second

www.angelfire.com/jazz/jebus_site/music/dull.ses

is the session file if your using cool edit...

if not, the acoustic track should begin at 54.616 seconds
the other one, at 0 seconds'

Hurter Vileslay
01-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Nice one. Just downloading them now. Might post some rough versions if I get the time. Ill definitely post the finished one though.

eulogy508
02-07-2004, 12:29 PM
that was nice.

brilliantname
02-13-2004, 09:12 PM
I love it. Simply beautiful.

The_Naked_Stalk
02-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Cool. I like minimalism. Are you into like Phillip Glass, Steve Reich, etc.?

Elgyn
02-15-2004, 09:08 PM
You're being a bit hard on yourself there buddy,
That's a cool song. You don't have a bass in there do you?

It's fucking weird though, I actually agree with m4yn4rd, it'd be nice if it was longer.

Jebus
02-17-2004, 05:20 PM
wow...

thanks all for the responses...

er, naked_stalk...i've never heard of them...could you please recommend a few songs for me to check out? thanks

...elgyn? when you say longer, do you mean just keep going with what i already have there, or put in something new? i have a few things that may (or may not) work with it...and yeah, no bass...just me and the guitar...

if you read the rest of the thread, hurter vileslay said a remix would be made of it...he pm'ed me with the finished product...i've yet to listen to it, and apparently it doesn't use heaps of my song, but anyway...here's the link...thanks hurter vileslay

http://stage.vitaminic.co.uk/arthur_livesley/

holy reality
02-17-2004, 05:30 PM
hmm...the title is most fitting

it's nice and mellow but empty feeling, like.. gray. it could build into something pretty cool if it keeps progressing and adding things.

not bad and the acoustic was nice.

The_Naked_Stalk
02-17-2004, 07:08 PM
wow...

thanks all for the responses...

er, naked_stalk...i've never heard of them...could you please recommend a few songs for me to check out? thanks

...elgyn? when you say longer, do you mean just keep going with what i already have there, or put in something new? i have a few things that may (or may not) work with it...and yeah, no bass...just me and the guitar...

if you read the rest of the thread, hurter vileslay said a remix would be made of it...he pm'ed me with the finished product...i've yet to listen to it, and apparently it doesn't use heaps of my song, but anyway...here's the link...thanks hurter vileslay

http://stage.vitaminic.co.uk/arthur_livesley/

Minimalism is genre of music that focuses on limiting the compositional process, thereby forcing the composer to be as exacting and precise as possible with harmony, rythm, melody, etc. The pieces are generally short and slightly repetitive. Your music sounded like it was in this style. I like minimalism. It's very fun. So yea. Your piece appealed to my ears.

Jebus
02-17-2004, 08:58 PM
cool. any songs by those guys that you could recommend? or by someone else?

Elgyn
02-18-2004, 03:54 AM
Well... for example, at the end of the piece, you have a change in structure. I imagine that if that was repeated it could either finish it more aptly, or lead into something a little more vibrant.

As it is, I like it.

You seem to keep good time, did you play it to a metronome?

Jebus
02-18-2004, 04:38 AM
sweet...i'll look into it...i have another bit made up similar to those opening chords, as well as a heavy bit that works with that...how well they fit in with this i'm not yet sure...um...no metronome...for the chords, i just kept up with the delay...as for the acoustic, that was just playing my own timing and a lot of patience to get it (almost) right...

cheers

Jebus
06-28-2004, 10:33 PM
hella bump...

finally got around to re-recording this decently with my new(ish) boss dd-6 delay pedal...timing was my biggest issue, but i did okay...it's still a bit crowded and needs some work, especially on the high notes which i mostly made up as i recorded them, but it's okay.

go here (http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/jebus_site/) and download 'dull3' to hear it.

cheers

vercoe6
06-30-2004, 09:26 AM
I'm not sure what type of feedback you are looking for but my thoughts are the following. You should challenge yourself more and actually take all your ideas and write one good song. I listened to sevaral tracks from you web site, dull, acoustic and 5/4. We all have four chord riffs which we think are great but they certainly are not songs. We have taken a guy jamming in his bedroom with an idea and claiming it is a song. This insults people who have taken years to write songs!

Jebus
06-30-2004, 05:20 PM
i'm very much an amateur, and believe me, i'm not in anyway claiming these as decent songs...they're just bits i come up with and enjoy, and i record them...if i could write a decent 'song' i definitely would...

Misanthrope
07-01-2004, 01:00 AM
This insults people who have taken years to write songs!Good. If you take years to write one song you probably don't have any talent in the first place.

On a lighter note; I didn't listen to Jeebs song because it probably sucks, HAR.