PDA

View Full Version : Trip

Hogpile
12-20-2002, 04:54 PM
As far as psychadelics go, shrooms and acid are the most common. As we know everyone reacts to the shit in different ways and no one can really explain in depth and detail to someone who has never taken acid shrooms or the like what its like to be on the shit-you pretty much have to experience it yourself. Doctors and scientists can tell you that acid and shrooms disrupt signals to the brain, causing chaos to your mind because you cannot recognize nor explain to yourself what you are feeling, seeing, hearing, or the way your mind is processing data. What they can't tell you, is why exactly acid and shrooms have such a profound effect on the brain, or what specific qualities about the drug cause which specific effects. Being a pretty avid user of these substances in the past the song Third Eye brings a couple things to mind. First of all, the song is not supposed to make complete sense in some form of metaphor or thematic message to the world. I firmly believe that this song was the product of drug use and inspired by the experiences from those drugs. The music especially has acid written all over it. A psychadelic jam session if you will. Secondly I think if one theme of the song sticks out more than any other, it would be the feeling of unease and slight panic that psychadelics can bring out at times that maynard seems to be bringing out in the words and pace of the lyrics. "came out to watch you play, so why are you running away?" This part to me, is like when you've taken a gram or dose too much, and the walls start caving in before you regain composure. In your mind the drugs are like" you took the shit motherfucker, so why are you running away." Your here to stay, so you might as well learn something.(and forget about 70% of it the next day) This is definitely one of the best songs I've ever heard that qualifies as a soundtrack to your mind on meltdown.

OpiAtE_666
12-21-2002, 12:39 PM
Man, thanks for that interpretation. I've never done pyschedelic drugs, so I didn't get so much out of the song. I would like to experiment with them.

forty6n2
12-22-2002, 01:41 PM
but i know there are many drug references in this song. but since i havent done acid or shrooms i dont think of it that way. in the thread ''prying open my third eye'' i mention that this song has religious meaning. but thats only what it means to me.

Hogpile
12-23-2002, 07:14 AM
One thing though, guys. I'm not saying that you need to take drugs to appreciate the song, and I'm not even suggesting that you experiment with psychadelics, because thats a decision no one but you can make. (Of course I do suggest that new opportunities should be looked at) But thats what's so awesome about this song, is that this song can put your mind in the state of psychadelia without actually taking any drugs.