PDA

View Full Version : another thought of the song

x7 Lateralus 7x
01-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Well i've been thinking of this one specific part of the song...

"my shadow's, shedding skin, i've been picking, my scabs again."

was maynard a cutter?

o and this other part

"listen to the muscle memory"

he must have taken an action that he remembers by movement.
or maybe this can lead to the song lateralus, he probably has taken an action that he regrets, that makes him over think, overanalyze, and causes him to leave opportunities for some kind of loss or mistake he has made.

and right after that part it leads the the 46&2 thing he says... i think that if we figure out the few paragraphs b4 he mentions 46&2, the #'s might actually make sense.

idk just thoughts.

philosophomore
01-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Alright, I think some others clarified your ? about the numbers, but if you'd like my take on the first thing you mentioned, I'll try to explain.

Think of the line for a minute... "My Shadow's shedding skin; I've been picking scabs again."

I think that the narrator, in order to come to terms w/his Shadow (see a thread about Jung's Archetype of the Shadow) is tracing back over the course of his life and re-examing painful/traumatic events in his past, that he has never really dealt with before. The metaphor of 'picking scabs' is appropriate for this; he is reopening old wounds... After confronting these issues, he is effectivel bringing the elements of his shadow into consciousness, therefore, it 'sheds its skin', or, loses some power over him. Plus it is nicely poetic how the narrator picks a scab and the shadow sheds skin at the same time.

philosophomore
01-08-2004, 12:19 PM
accidental double post (ignore)

paraflux
01-08-2004, 12:26 PM
New respect for Philosophomore...

You called the lyricist of the song "The Narrator." How many times have I tried to explain that Maynard is not using his personal life in his songs (with Tool, anyway, not concerning APC) but rather channeling some other energy, in a prophet-like sense. I am not calling Maynard a prophet although he probably is, because prophets have no desire for the pedestal and Maynard sure as hell stays away from any type of spotlight.

x7 Lateralus 7x
01-10-2004, 07:00 AM
well thanx for clearing that up for me philosophomore, i would have never guessed that in a long ass time. and for paraflux, idk, call it w/e u want, its still maynard. well thx again philo

paraflux
01-12-2004, 07:41 AM
well thanx for clearing that up for me philosophomore, i would have never guessed that in a long ass time. and for paraflux, idk, call it w/e u want, its still maynard. well thx again philo

So the author of Alice in Wonderland is actually Alice? Can an author or any type of artist or creator not tell a story without it being about him/herself?

philosophomore
01-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Ya, that always bugged me too, but it just occured to me one night in an epiphany while I was high by myself listening to the song...

Thanks Paraflux, and I strongly agree that Tool songs are not about Maynard and that a LOT of people get confused and miss the whole point when they think that they are (See Also: Prison Sex, Opiate, etc) because they are focused on "how could Maynard do this or think that, rather than just trying to experience the symbolism, message...

Incidentally, I think (at least at one level) the song 'jimmy' is about the picking of such a 'scab.'