PDA

View Full Version : Not an eulogy exactly

radmanics
12-31-2003, 04:17 AM
Just with a flash of inspiration...

this is rather angry and demanding for a eulogy don't you think... therefore, is this song more an attack upon (yes religion again) followers of jesus who followly him simply for eternal life, disgusted that they don't get into heaven or something because they only used jesus?

Quick thinking on my feet kinda. Should be revising haha, I'll post a bit more when I've finished.

-> the next bit

If you pat attention to the lryics in the second half of the song, it is clear that persona saying this eulogy is annoyed, and angry at who it is at. First is praises the subject "he a lot to say, we'll miss him" etc. (Maybe with a light hearted joke, "a lot of nothing to say" ? lol). Then we find out that the persona "swallowed his façade cuz I'm so eager to identify with someone above the ground" - either, I supose, you could take this as another joke, or rather, it shows the persona knew (or thought he did) the subject (who I supose is jesus for this theory) was bullshitting a lot, but still, as he is now "above the ground" having risen from the dead, will grant the persona eternal life.

"with someone who would die for me. Will you? Will you now? Would you die for me?" Jesus died for our sins, so this persona is asking jesus if he will die for his sins. When he tells the subject not to "step out of line", it could be because he has been refused eternal life, when Jesus was meant to die for our sins so we could have said eternal life.

"You've claimed all this time that you would die for me. Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?" Implies that the eulogy (not the song at all) would be the years of "worship" conducted by the persona. When he finally conseeds defeat, he quite simply supes out disgust: "Get off your fuckin cross. We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr. To ascend you must die. You must be crucified for your sins and your lies. Goodbye... " at what he now sees jesus as.

Now, Maynard writing a story about what will happen to people who use their "believe" in jesus to obtain eternal life seems rather out of character; therefore I think this song is more a mockery of people who believe in religious teachings, not just christianity, in order to obtain an eternal life.. a sort of "look, this fool got what he deserved. Now, question what you really believe and follow what you find you really believe, not what you feel you should or have to".

Sorry if that's a bit messed up and not making much sense...

HOBO
12-31-2003, 08:08 AM
I thought the same as you at first, but what made me dismiss this is the end when he says, "get off your fucking cross, we need the space for the next fool martar" This makes me think that the person he's speaking to or about isnt going through with what they said they would. Jesus did die, so I think he's using the cross and everything as a metephore to describe something else. What I've been thinking its about is politics. How before and election you hear all these promises and you think the person is on your side. And in the end the person who was elected breaks all his promises and we move on to someone else.

Brino
01-11-2004, 07:18 PM
I thought the same as you at first, but what made me dismiss this is the end when he says, "get off your fucking cross, we need the space for the next fool martar" This makes me think that the person he's speaking to or about isnt going through with what they said they would. Jesus did die, so I think he's using the cross and everything as a metephore to describe something else. What I've been thinking its about is politics. How before and election you hear all these promises and you think the person is on your side. And in the end the person who was elected breaks all his promises and we move on to someone else.

I agree with Hobo i don't think Maynard would say something so straight forward . Maynard wants people to believe in what they want to believe and not have there choices be influenced by anothers outlook. So therefore maybe every tool song doesnt even have one meaning maybe his intentions of his lyrics are to get so many different ideas flowing i meen look theres tons and tons of ideas on this site alone, and most have been thought up by tool fans, i could be totally wrong but it's just another theory.

radmanics
01-13-2004, 01:44 PM
I agree with Hobo i don't think Maynard would say something so straight forward . Maynard wants people to believe in what they want to believe and not have there choices be influenced by anothers outlook.

Now, Maynard writing a story about what will happen to people who use their "believe" in jesus to obtain eternal life seems rather out of character; therefore I think this song is more a mockery of people who believe in religious teachings, not just christianity, in order to obtain an eternal life.. a sort of "look, this fool got what he deserved. Now, question what you really believe and follow what you find you really believe, not what you feel you should or have to".

As you said, there are many inturpritations... I, actually, hold nearly each one I come across or find/make (which is appropriate?) myself just about equally, unless I disagree with a major point.

Generally though, the ideas about this song seem to follow 2 major themes:
Being lied too/cheated
The pointlessness of trying to change things (more doubtful about the exactness of this one though)