PDA

View Full Version : Top three effects

OftenLost
12-30-2003, 08:17 PM
If you could only have three effects, what would they be?

Mine would be (I play bass):

1. Distortion, for sound effects and times when I need a solid roar or just a little fuzz.

2. Delay, just as it can be used to create beautiful melodys, or really trippy shit (reverse mode etc)

3. Chorus, a good chorus can give you a very unique sound, without completely drowning out the notes as a flanger would.

Matteran
12-30-2003, 09:04 PM
for guitar:

(assuming you have natural tube distortion)

1. Delay
2. MXR Micro Amp
3. Wah

or for 3. a good graphic eq

bass:

basically what you said, except for the chorus, maybe switch that with another delay, cause you can have some good times. But yeah, for normal play, a chorus...

deviatedwolf625
12-31-2003, 02:47 PM
Mine on bass:

Reverb
Flanger
Delay

Mine on guitar:
Phaser
Distortion
Delay

Mine on vocals:
Chorus
Reverb
Delay

I <3 delay

holy reality
12-31-2003, 03:44 PM
hmmmz..... distortion doesn't count becuase amps tend to provide that (for guitars)

1) Wah
2) delay
3) flange/chorus/phaser (they are kind of similar just to different extremes and all) ... or... whammy?

I'm loving the whammy on my rpx400... it makes me sound like an evil bagpipe!

this is my 7777th post.

Jebus
01-02-2004, 12:03 AM
well my marshall amp came with reverb, delay, chorus and flanger...I'd say delay, reverb, chorus...probably...

another question though...anyone recommend some distortion pedals...my amp has distortion...but it's a bit too aggresive for my taste...maybe I just need practice with the settings though...? the distortion I'd be looking for is somwhere between kyuss and smashing pumpkins (early pumpkins...think gish)...

or something that can get both...my marshall doesn't have so many settings on it...mostly contour and gain are the only ones that do anything

OftenLost
01-02-2004, 12:49 AM
If you want a mild distortion, get the DS 1 from boss. Its one of their cheaper pedals, but its great mild distortion.

Jebus
01-02-2004, 01:18 AM
If you want a mild distortion, get the DS 1 from boss. Its one of their cheaper pedals, but its great mild distortion.

Cool...While where at it can you recommend some other effects pedal...I'm happy with what I got at the moment, except for the distortion...that's kinda a major issue...sometime in the not too distant future however, I'll be looking around for a delay pedal as well as a wah pedal...or maybe just go all out and get a multi-effects thingy...any suggestions?

EDIT: Okay...I've had a look on the web...and maybe I'll just get a multi-effects pedal...thingy...this BOSS ME-50 looks like it'd be in the range of something I'd want to get...any advice/suggestions?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040102011809203097002243873341/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/151304/

OftenLost
01-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Personally, I dont like multi fx pedals. You can get much better quality and control from single effects. But other pedals I'd recommend are flanger, delay, and phaser.

theotherlight
01-02-2004, 09:28 AM
I remember when I was getting ready to buy one of those huge 1000+ effect pods for guitar, and I couldn't be happier that I suddenly changed my mind. Sure, I would've saved money in the long run, but it just doesn't have the convenience of individual pedals.

My pedals (guitar, I don't use effects for bass):

- Boss OS-2 distortion (I hardly use it though, I just keep my amp's distortion on, it's significantly "heavier" for the music that I play)
- Boss BF-2 flanger (I used this thing to no end when all I ever did was play Rage Against the Machine songs, but now that I've moved on it's hard for me to fit this in anywhere, and a damn shame too)
- Ibanez DE-7 delay (by far my favourite of the pedals... you can just do so much with it!)

Jebus
01-03-2004, 02:43 AM
well I haven't even played on any pedals yet...just looking around on the net...nearest music shop is an hour away...nearest decent music shop 2.5....and I don't have a car...and I don't know fuck all about pedals anyway...probably next weekend I'll get around to having a look...

holy reality
01-03-2004, 12:03 PM
i have a digitech rpx400 multi fx and i wouldn't recommend it... or any digitech multi units...

it's fun and such but it's really limiting..... you create a nice distortion sound and you save it and there are two channels, A and B.. and you think, well on channel B i'll layer it with a ton of effects, so you do so, and save it... only to find that the effects are also on when you turn it to channel A

so basically you have to save 3-4 banks if you just want the same type of distortion with JUST flanger, with JUST whammy, with JUST delay.. etc... not to mention all the other possible combainations you could have at once....

so you can't make channel B an fx channel and channel A a clean channel... it's really lame in that regard, plus it sounds real digitally.

IC
01-04-2004, 02:12 PM
1some warm distortion
2 tweeked out ring modulator
3.that chorus/phaser the guy from deftones uses all the time

48&2
01-05-2004, 04:11 AM
wah
delay
whammy

Paladin
01-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Bit reduction
Delay (with good tweakings, like cutoff, and resonance of subsequent echo's)
Compressor (or perhaps replace this with an envelope follower or filterbank.)

The Bit reduction would cover and of my distortion needs with the right tweakings, Delay would fatten it up and make it more dense, and compression would bring it all together, or if it was envelope follower or a filter bank it would give it some extra timbre. I'd pretty much run anything through those effects, mainly synth, that is my weapon of choice these days.

Paladin
01-12-2004, 07:57 PM
and if you guys want good distortion...make your own! or mod an existing one. I turned a half ass distortion/noise gate pedal by nobel into an ace destruction unit.

OftenLost
01-12-2004, 09:36 PM
God I love my effects. My main effect set up is a Ring Mod (kickass), Flanger, Delay, Wah, and Volume.

Hurter Vileslay
01-16-2004, 04:53 AM
i have a digitech rpx400 multi fx and i wouldn't recommend it... or any digitech multi units...
They have Digitech Quad units for recording at my college and theyre pants. very difficult to program.

I dont know anything about live use and dont play guitar or bass but ive made tracks on my computer using 'granular timestretching'. Gives crazy slowed vocal sounds. (For examples try I Can't Help Myself by Lucid and It Doesn't Matter by Chemical Brothers)

imtheism
02-06-2004, 08:13 AM

it's fun and such but it's really limiting..... you create a nice distortion sound and you save it and there are two channels, A and B.. and you think, well on channel B i'll layer it with a ton of effects, so you do so, and save it... only to find that the effects are also on when you turn it to channel A

so basically you have to save 3-4 banks if you just want the same type of distortion with JUST flanger, with JUST whammy, with JUST delay.. etc... not to mention all the other possible combainations you could have at once....

so you can't make channel B an fx channel and channel A a clean channel... it's really lame in that regard, plus it sounds real digitally.
I have a digitech gnx2, and i love it. Use it for live shows. It can do the channel switching like you described and shit, can make your own distortions/effects.

I use so many different effects that in reality i would need rackmount gear to get the same amount of sounds, so stomp boxes just aren't viable unless i want fucking 30 of them with all different settings.

If you're just doing a few basic things, then yes, go with stomp boxes. I hate having to adjust everything all the time, so this way i can set 15 banks with everythign i need/want and just switch between them. Basically impossible on stomp boxes.

i love layering my digitech with my line6 dl4 delay pedal, can get some awesome shit.

Ecstasy
01-14-2006, 04:56 PM
BF-3 Flanger, Rogue WP-101 Wah.

InterBeing462
01-14-2006, 06:07 PM
1. Ibanez Smashbox
2. Wah (perhaps through the smashbox)
3. Digitech Whammy

InterBeing462
01-14-2006, 06:08 PM
BF-3 Flanger, Rogue WP-101 Wah.

Can a Rogue pedal really hold up to the weight of a foot?

Ecstasy
01-14-2006, 06:13 PM
It's pretty cheap but it works okay usually.

Mooseifer
01-15-2006, 03:50 AM
God I love my effects. My main effect set up is a Ring Mod (kickass), Flanger, Delay, Wah, and Volume.

I've never been able to get a good aound from a ring modulator... any tips?

my 3 would be:

Delay, Chorus and wah

ImACarnation
01-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Flanger, Volume, Delay....and CS-3 for good measure

jar_4_ever
01-16-2006, 09:17 PM
In general: EQ, Compression, and Reverb. Obviously for guitars you're going to want distortion as well.

Tyro
01-17-2006, 04:28 AM
Distortion, Reverb, Delay

jar_4_ever
01-20-2006, 02:52 PM
It's funny none of you guys mention EQ. Without the EQ knobs on your guitar amp shaping your tone becomes pretty much impossible. Also, is the question effects for guitar or effects in general? If I had to make a entire song using only three effects it would deffinitely be EQ, Dynamics, and a Delay unit (and reverb is actually a type of delay).